You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Re: Velvet Revolver "fires" Scott Weiland

Tommie wrote:

MSNBC
Velvet Revolver boots lead singer Scott Weiland
Erratic on-stage behavior, personal problems led to decision, guitarist says
Reuters
updated 7:38 p.m. ET, Tues., April. 1, 2008
LOS ANGELES - Four founding members of the rock band Velvet Revolver said on Tuesday they were splitting with the group's troubled singer, Scott Weiland, citing his 'increasingly erratic' behavior.

The announcement came in a terse statement from the group's management company as Weiland, 40, and his recently reunited original band, Stone Temple Pilots, were set next week to announce plans for a highly anticipated summer tour.

The Stone Temple Pilots, also known by their acronym, STP, already have confirmed a handful of upcoming dates, beginning with the Rock on the Range festival in Columbus, Ohio, on May 17-18.

For Weiland, whose career has long been overshadowed by heroin addiction, Rock on the Range will mark his first show with STP since the band played 13 concerts to promote its last album of new material, 2001's 'Shangri-La Dee Da.'

Following the breakup of STP, Weiland was welcomed as lead singer for Velvet Revolver, the newly formed grunge rock band founded by three former members of Guns N' Roses '” guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum '” along with second guitarist Dave Kushner.

Velvet Revolver was confronted from the start with Weiland's drug and legal problems as it juggled performance schedules, recording sessions and promotional work to accommodate his court dates and rehab.

Last month, Weiland pleaded innocent to a charge of driving under the influence of drugs stemming from his arrest on a Los Angeles freeway ramp in November. He is free on $40,000 bail and is due back in court for a pretrial hearing on Friday.

A public feud between Weiland and Velvet Revolver's drummer already had cast doubt on the band's future when the statement on behalf of Sorum, Slash, McKagan and Kushner was issued under the headline 'Velvet Revolver to Part Ways with Singer.'

'This band is all about its fans and its music, and Scott Weiland isn't 100 percent committed to either,' Slash was quoted as saying. 'Among other things, his increasingly erratic on-stage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on.'

There was no immediate comment from Weiland, Stone Temple Pilots or their representatives.

Copyright 2008 Reuters. Click for restrictions.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23908006/

MTV
Scott Weiland Parts Ways With Velvet RevolverViews 

Weiland will join Stone Temple Pilots for a reunion tour this summer.
By Chris Harris

Less than two weeks ago, during a Velvet Revolver gig in Glasgow, Scotland, the band's frontman, Scott Weiland, announced to the crowd in attendance that they were witnessing something very special '” the last-ever Velvet Revolver tour. On Tuesday (April 1), the rest of the band '” guitarists Slash and Dave Kushner, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum '” released a statement confirming that Velvet Revolver had parted ways with Weiland.

"This band is all about its fans and its music, and Scott Weiland isn't 100% committed to either," Slash said in the statement. "Among other things, his increasingly erratic onstage behavior and personal problems [Weiland recently finished a stint in rehab] have forced us to move on."

When called for additional comment, the band's management, Sanctuary, said everything the band had to say on the matter was in the press release. The band played the final date of its European tour in Amsterdam earlier on Tuesday.

Weiland will presumably turn his energies to the re-formed Stone Temple Pilots, who are expected to reveal details of a full-scale summer tour at a news conference next week. Whether Velvet Revolver carry on with a new singer remains to be seen. But Slash has said, in a number of recent interviews, that there would be a third LP from the rockers, and that Weiland's characterization of the band's European tour as its last was simply untrue. There is no official word of the split on Velvet Revolver's Web site.

Following Weiland's outburst in Scotland, Sorum took to his blog to comment on the situation.

"[We] had a little band turmoil onstage, as you probably all could tell," he wrote. "Being in a band is a lot like being in a relationship. Sometimes, you just don't get along. I guess there has been more turmoil lately, with the cancellations and all. It has been frustrating; I am not going to lie. My career and life in rock and roll has come with its ups and downs. Unfortunately, some people in this business don't realize how great of a life they have. Touring the world, meeting great people, and fans all over the world '” and just playing music for a living. I feel truly blessed. But sometimes the road can be draining for some.

"Being away from home and family does grind on you sometimes," Sorum continued. "Personally, I love this sh-- and sometimes can't believe I am so lucky to still be doing what I do for a living. Everybody could see who was unhappy [at the Glasgow show], but all I can say is let's keep the rock alive, people. In this life, you just pick up and keep moving. And don't ever let anybody stand in your way."

Weiland responded in a statement to Blabbermouth.net, saying, "The state of my family affairs is really none of [Sorum's] business, since he is too immature to have a real relationship, let alone children. So don't attempt to stand in a man's shoes when you haven't walked his path. I've made many attempts to remain cordial with the members of VR, but mainly, the likes of you. Funny though '” this is your first band, as opposed to being a hired gun. I've been making records (now, on my ninth), which have sold over 35 million copies worldwide and have maintained a level of professionalism regardless of how many drugs I've ingested into my system. I have only canceled one tour during the entire course of my 16-year run and that was the 'make-up' Australia tour. Now, shall I open that can of worms, Matthew? Release the Kraken? Serve ... volley! You canceled the Aussie tour in the fall because you went to rehab, but I won't say why.

"I will sweat, bruise, and bleed for you," he continued, directing his words to the band's fans. "[i] will continue to do so until the end of this tour. However, you deserve to hear Velvet Revolver playing ... not certain individuals singing along to get a muddied-up sound. It's a shame ... we were a gang. But ego and jealousy can get the better of anyone. I wish the best and plan to annihilate the stage in the last few shows."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/158459 … lver.jhtml

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I think this is a good step, this band still has so much potential, and I'm glad their not letting an erratic singer like Scott keep the back.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Best thing that could have happened.  No offense to any VR fans...but come on....don't you really think there was MUCH more potential than that?  I do.  STP will be a welcome return and any GOOD music from the remaining VR members will be highly anticipated.  If they get the right singer (Weiland didn't fit from the get go) we may still hear some great stuff.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I agree.  While I think VR was a great band, STP was a much better fit for Weiland.  I just wonder who VR can get for a singer.  It'd be funny if Bach started making buddy buddy with them, but I don't think Sebastian would be any better of a fit.  My knowledge of available singers in the industry is non-existent, but I hope they can find a frontman with the reputation and power of Weiland, not some kid off the streets just to make another Snakepit sounding record.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Oh well, we all saw it coming for a while. I love the 2 VR records but have always thought that Weiland was an odd for for the band. He was great live when I saw them I'll give him that, but I think that with a better fit of frontman these guys can do an album a million times better than they have already. I'd love to hear those 'really bad Bad Company 80's tunes they did with Izzy' i.e in Slash's words, the greatest GNR album ever (or something like that).

I guess that the mudslinging over the coming weeks will be interesting and I wouldnt be surprised to hear that in a week or 2 VR will have ended completely. As much as I like STP I think with Scott's behaviour the only way is down for them too after they cash their reunion tours checks. The Deleo's must be thinking 'Oh shit, this boy's on drugs'.

Still, I hope VR get a new singer, people should stop mentioning Bach on all the sites, I bet his vocals are more of a jizz gargle than actual singing these days.

Go on Slash, call up John Garcia!!

I doubt that Velvet Revolver will continue in the near future after this.

And since Duff is going to be busy recording (and touring) with a re-formed Loaded, we can only guess at this point.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well i'm assuming that the band has at least one more record on their contract..so i dont think the story is quite over yet hmm

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Either

April Fools

or

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It'd be a pretty useless April Fools joke. "Scott's fired.... ah, no just kidding, he isn't. But he is going to tour with STP for several months & probably record an album with them. We'll be waiting around & be back in a couple years. April Fools though!!"

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer