You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: Robin back in NIN. Temp or not is the question?

war wrote:

anyone think it's possible one or more of robin's parts got replaced on the album by someone else and he got pissed and quit?

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I get what you're saying.  I wish it wasn't the way it is.  There are a lot of things that should have been done differently by a lot of different people.  This isn't all Axl's fault, though I believe it's more his fault than anybody else's.  A lot of bad things happened to allow the old band to split anyway and not much that's happened since then has been good either.  Sure, there have been moments of things looking good, but everytime things start looking up, something happens that not only screws up the positive momentum, it actually makes it worse than it was before.  This is just the latest in a long line of "misfortunes" that at some point need to stop being looked at as coincidental.

For sure dude.

Let's see what Axl says about this. If he does. Or the management. Maybe Robin. It's sort of bad manners IMO to not tell fans when you suddenly change bands all of a sudden.

I would never blame Axl for any of this. He does his best. It's so ironic the media portrays him as this Nazi when IMO he's way to nice to his band members and let them do whatever they want, even playing in bands that basically is in a competition with GNR for PR and media attention.

anyone think it's possible one or more of robin's parts got replaced on the album by someone else and he got pissed and quit?

1. He got tired of waiting and quit (CD nowhere in sight)
2. Axl let him tour with NIN (CD close to nowhere in sight)

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
war wrote:

Maybe he was pissed when he found out Bucket's parts were still on there.

war

war wrote:
Backslash wrote:
war wrote:

i don't know richard plays bucket's parts live. that shouldn't affect the finckster. besides, didn't he say bucket would remain on the album a while back also?

Honestly, I think people are reading way too much into this at the moment.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
war wrote:
Backslash wrote:
war wrote:

i don't know richard plays bucket's parts live. that shouldn't affect the finckster. besides, didn't he say bucket would remain on the album a while back also?

I was being sarcastic. 19

I'm of the opinion right now that Finck's still in GNR and everyone's freaking out prematurely.

war

war wrote:
Backslash wrote:
war wrote:
Backslash wrote:

I was being sarcastic. 19

I'm of the opinion right now that Finck's still in GNR and everyone's freaking out prematurely.

you are asking me, war, for peace?????

you pussy!!!!

j/k

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
DCK wrote:

This is supposed to be a band. I never saw GNR as Axl plus a bunch of others playing. I always saw it as a band and Axl too judging from what he said about everyone contributing.

Define 'band'. Seriously, I'm not trying to break your balls, I'm curious as to how you consider that word.

Because in this case, what we have is about 10 years worth of studio time, countless of tryouts with various musicians, people doing 'guest appearances' and leaving as quickly as they came... The GNR studio band, if you may, had at least one consistent lineup that never toured, yet completed an album (Axl-Robin-Huge-Tommy-Freese-Dizzy). Cue Dave Navarro, Brian May, Buckethead, Brain, Pitman, Fortus... Everybody post-93 (aside Tommy) has had another person doing his parts in the studio.

If people who "made" the current album together (or, more precisely, likely contributed the most) are the band you speak of, I'd wager a wild guess and point you to the RIR3 lineup. Paul Huge, who wrote and recorded material for the project just about forever before unceremoniously leaving, and Buckethead, whose contributions and significance cannot be denied.

Then there's the live band, which has more recently lived a life separate from the studio band. While Fortus had all the time in the world to become amalgamated into the band, it's not pretty to see first Bucket leaving, then Brain. Now, if Robin should leave, expect it to effect the overall sound at least as Bucket's resignation, for better or for worse. Of course, this doesn't hurt the album much, as for the most part, the studio band remained mostly consistent for four to five years. That's why the album will be a band effort. Just not by the band you see on stage, because time's caught up with that lineup.

DCK wrote:

He made the band contribute, he made them write songs. He was specifically asking them to contribute as much as possible so it would be a band and not Axl Rose project.

Partially it's because Axl needed people who could contribute. Without Slash (and Izzy - and Duff), he was pretty clueless about where to go with the band name. He couldn't have gone back even if he'd wanted to, he didn't know where he could/should go. That's why people came in and got back out again, jamming on a nightly basis, so that Axl could figure a direction and recruit a steady lineup piece by piece   from the rows of people checking into the studio. If it sounds like a one great audition, that's exactly what I think it was, trying out players - and trying out the sound.

Axl's more into composing with the piano, anyway. He can do things like November Rain and Estranged, but he still needs some capable people to round up the songs. Personally, I don't think Axl could even write an album completely on his own. He needs people like Slash and Izzy to help out. Once he has those songs, those raw structures and the guitar solos, he can pull off his UYI antics - the band recorded their parts and Axl locked himself into the studio for a year or so to write and record lyrics and add various touches. Producing other peoples sound and writing/singing are the areas towards which Axl has always shown most interest. He knows his own talents and limitations, the only question which always remains is that are the songs his band wrote worthy to carry the GNR name. While he's probably lost a few nights sleep over it, it's never solely up to him to decide.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
DCK wrote:

So, best case, Finck is still in GNR and that means another year of nothing. And that is your BEST case scenario.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. 2008 is practically being thrown out the window unless GNR are going to release CD without touring( a huge mistake), or a guitarist will be hired to replace Finck on tour.

A really strange situation.

Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

for those of us who like and respect Robin, we will get to see him do what he does best this year - perform. 3

Yeah, I was considering going to a NIN show later this year in my area. This sweetens the pot.:mosh:

CrimeSlunkScene wrote:

Honestly, I think people are reading way too much into this at the moment.

Actually, I think people aren't reading enough into it. If he's gone, we can look at what happened the last time a member left. Buckethead in 04, and look where the status of the project is now in 08?

There wont be many people placing bets on this album coming out anytime soon if Finck is gone.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sic. wrote:

Then there's the live band, which has more recently lived a life separate from the studio band.

I would never be able to retrieve it, but back in 06 someone got a response from Mank Rage(Huge's band), and got a GNR mention where it said there is a touring lineup and a studio lineup for GNR.

Maybe Finck is going to have a Paul Huge type role in the band from this point forward.

Axl needs to make a statement.

Board footer