You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: Read any good books lately?

Gunslinger wrote:

Just finished Robert R McCammon's SWAN SONG and it was excellent!  Very much an epic tale on the same kind of scale as King's THE STAND.  If you like McCammon and haven't read this one you should, if you like good fiction in general then this one is a must.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

I'm a non-fiction buff, so whenever I post here, it will usually be about great biographies or political books or something like that.  This time, I'll tell you about a "self help" book.  I recently read David Bach's "The Automatic Millionaire: Canadian Edition: A Powerful One-Step Plan to Live and Finish Rich" and I have to say, it's definitely not your average, run of the mill, get rich quick scheme books.  The book tells of easy, obvious, and simple steps you can take to save for retirement and even retire early.  Bach uses inspirational humour and convinces the reader to take steps to improve his or her financial situation.  I found the book very easy to read (I read it cover to cover in two hours).  I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to live well into their senior years.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

The only two books that I remember reading are The Dragon Delasangre and The Catcher in the Rye.  They were both damn good and better than the shit they forced me to read at school!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Rex wrote:

The only two books that I remember reading are The Dragon Delasangre and The Catcher in the Rye.  They were both damn good and better than the shit they forced me to read at school!

Read 'On the Road' by Jack Kerouac. That or Dharma Bums by him as well. It's like Catcher in the Rye but in their 20's. Great read.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Nick Cave: And the Ass saw the Angel

Nick Cave's a rather decent fiction writer. I recommend you to check out his screenplays with John Hillcoat (prison movie Ghosts of the Civil Dead and the Outback western The Proposition). And the Ass saw the Angel is pretty much in line with the vicious attitude and nailbiting images of Ghosts and lyrics in the Cave's Birthday Party-era. A surreal tale of a mute boy born into the outskirts of a fiercely religious farming community, to a blind-drunk and obese mother and a psychopathic trapper father. Forever the outcast due to both his physical condition and his inward mind, Euchrid grows up in violence, vilified by the community. He does what any sensible person would do in that condition. He finds God.

Structurally, Cave's prose can be roughly divided into three parts. The first part contains very short chapters, mostly a page or two. Cave offers various snapshots of the inbred oddballs that live alongside Euchrid, keeping the reader hooked with fast-paced narrative, switching his focus point constantly to keep the reader hooked to see what deranged wonders be lurk on the next page. While the first part illustrates the obvious learning curve in his writing, Cave begins to spread his wings more boldly in the middle, offering up a worthy adversary in the form of the charlatan preacher man, Abie Poe. The minutely detailed world now begins to breathe as we remain with the events for longer periods of time, and the last part, where Euchrid finally puts God's plan into action, is told as a one long chunk of text.

A very entertaining read, which, by using its cinematic contemporaries, could perhaps be described as a cross between Witness and The Stone Boy - directed by Rob Zombie.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I read Animal Farm on Sunday - I had read it before a few times but it's a short, one day read, so I did that. Gets me mad.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i mentioned it on the other site but i read a book called

The House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski its the most insane thing you'll ever see
i also read Slash ..... it was really good

I have Dearly Devoted Dexter waiting for me but i got 2 other books on the go at the moment

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Bought 4 lately :

Cecilia by Anna Biton, about our president's ex- wife

One about parenting skills
One about understanding baby body language
And one about mental violence done to women.

All of them good.

By the time i get old, i'll probably have thousands of books on psychology/psychiatry.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

One book I read about a year ago was 'Under and Alone'. It was badass!! It's about a ATF (Alchohol, Tobacco & Firearms) agent who goes undercover as a biker & gets initiated into a gang to bust them for drugs & gun sales. He makes real good friends with 1 or 2 of them, damn near has to kill people to prove his worth, and witnesses many fights & drug use. Some cool moments, like he was driving his undercover car after a party. Had a little bit to drink, but was afraid to get DUI because his alias. Also I think he kept a gun hidden in his car for safety. If the cop found it, he couldn't tell him he's undercover, because word could spread back in the police station about the incident, and the gang has informants in the police. The whole ploy would be ruined & he'd have to move elsewhere for fear of revenge from the gang, putting him & his family in jeopardy. Cool shit like that. It was a true story too, so I realized how nuts the guys was to pull it off. Always afriad of being followed back to his "real family" when he'd go home every now & then. It was like a 2 year job.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Reading an awesome Steven King book called "Needful Things". If you like Kings other works check it out

blurb wrote:

There was a new shop in town.

Run by a stranger.

Needful Things, the sign said. The oddest name. A name that caused some gossip and speculation among the good folks of Castle Rock, Maine, while they waited for opening day.

Eleven year old Brian Rusk was the first customer and he got just what he wanted, a very rare 1956 Sandy Koufax baseball card. Signed.

Cyndi Rose Martin was next. A lalique vase. A perfect match for her living room decor.

Something for everyone,
Something you really had to have,
And always at a price you could just about afford.
The cash price that is.

Because there was another price. There always is when your hearts most secret, true desire is for sale . . .

Board footer