You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Tommy/Westerberg consider a Replacements reunion

Will wrote:
Neemo wrote:

from what i understand they were a small part of the us punk scene in the 80's with black flag and the bad brains and other bands like that...

Started of with punk ("Sorry Ma, Forgot..." and "Stink") whilst everything post-Stink were rock.

Neemo wrote:

...anyway i'm not sure how influential they actually were? hmm is it like a 3 year window in the midwest?

I'd say they were influential. Plenty of bands have given kudos (and still do) to the Mats. To name a few Green Day, Counting Crows, Ryan Adams, even Cobain himself apparently smile

Neemo wrote:

or do they actually have a legitimate following

Without a doubt. No further comment.

Neemo wrote:

this is prolly more of a madagas queation than anything since he seems to really be "the guy" if you wanna know about stinson's past efforts

I'll gladly backup all of madagas's praise for the Mats.

Whether Mats should reunite is difficult to call. As Paul said, don't want to ruin the legend status they carry.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

i know i always ask this but exactly how big are the replacements? cuz honestly i've never heard of them before 1999 when tommy was announced as the bass player for GnR

They were a decent sized 80's band. Not huge, but not unknown either. I never really listened to much of their music, which is why I pretty much stay silent instead of passing judgment on Stinson's resume.

I know I heard them back then, but I honestly cant name one song by them. I should probably get one of their hits albums and have a listen.

Not huge, but very influential. I think I got in a heated debate about this with some members on this board. They were/are one of the most influential of the non-mainstream bands (at the time) of the 80s, along with bands like REM, U2 and Husker Du. Remember, success and influence are not the same thing.

Sky Dog wrote:

They were a very influential college rock/alternative band....stylistically, kind of a mutt like Gnr, part punk, part classic rock, part singer/songwriter...could be hard and soft with equal ease. They came out of the same scene as REM and U2 in the early to mid 80's. Those two bands broke big....the Mats constantly shot themselves in the foot. The big problem was the loss of Tommy's lead guitarist brother Bob. They kicked him out for his drug and alcohol problems! He ended up dying at 35 years old. Those groups along with the Pixies, Husker Du and a few others were the pioneers of the alternative rock scene. To my friends and generation, they were every bit the equal talent wise to Rem and U2. They were a staple on MTV'S 120 Minutes shows in the mid to late 80's and early 90's. In the end, they have always been critical darlings with the press and are held in high esteem within the industry...for what that is worth. The average joe may not know who Tommy is, but people in the industry and critics certainly do. He is the ONLY blue blood , bonafide rock star in the new Gnr.

If they were to tour now, they would play 2500-4000 seat theatres....kinda like the Pixies a few years ago.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

wow...ok so i guess i know nothing 16

seriously though i have never heard of them or heard their music...that i can recall

and i consider myself pretty well versed in music....but apparently not...thanks for the insight guys 19 maybe i should check something out sometime...got an album recommendation?

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Neemo wrote:

...got an album recommendation?

I think "Let It Be" is usually the recommended album for new listeners. That's how I first discovered em all those years ago 16

Hopefully madagas can throw in his recommendation and some more insight for ya. If I start to babble about the Mats I'll end up banned by tomorrow 14

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/replaceme … lbum.jhtml

you can listen to Let It Be for free right now on VH1. 15  I Will Dare, Favorite Thing, Androgynous, Unsatisfied, Seen Your Video (a big smart ass comeback to MTV)...ahh fuck, just listen to it all.

for a novice, just get... Don't You Know Who I Think I Was? The Best of the Replacements.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

thanks for the advice guys...i'll have to check this out 22

Sky Dog wrote:

Sky Dog wrote:
elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Okay, if Tommy's out then the cards are really on the table for a reunion. Slash wouldn't join up without Duff - he'd want someone from his own camp on-side. But if Tommy's in GN'R, there's no place for Duff. If Tommy quits, then the reunion suddenly becomes far more likely. And so does my fantasy of seeing Slash and Fortus sharing a stage. smile

Board footer