You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: New NIN single w/Robin released...

Axl S wrote:

But on the forums since we can't do VR V GN'R just now, we're subbing in NIN wink

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

^ Actually I said released CD songs to take OMG out of the equation. It's just a joke, pointing out how GN'R has not released any songs this century. A better-than-nothing perspective. I like Echoplex the same as Discipline, I just warned people (James) that it's more NIN-y and radio-friendly than the last track.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Anyone else having Tuning issues with this track?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Anyone else having Tuning issues with this track?

haha its his style...he plays using a technique called dissonance...he does it intentionally which is one reason i think this newest track might actually be robin...it one reason why he sounding like he was messing up all the time in 2002...and in reality it was all intentional..which is actually pretty impressive if you think about it..

personally its not my thing on the orig gnr tracks cuz they werent written like this, but i can appreciate the intent and if done properly it sounds cool...take better for example 22 but robin really thought outside the box when he learned the old gnr catalogue

anyway here is an explanation and a video which explain it pretty good...

What is dissonance?By David Hodge

David Hodge

Currently living just outside Great Barrington, Massachusetts, David still teaches privately also writes lessons for Acoustic Guitar Magazine and Play Guitar! Magazine. His first tutorial book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar, arrives in bookstores this September. To hear some of his original music, visit David's music page at Soundclick.com. You can also find his schedule and latest news at David's home page at http://www.davidhodge.com.

David Hodge has answered 85 questions for Guitar Noise.

View all answers by David Hodge A question on harmony, or perhaps the antithesis of harmony: What do people mean by "dissonance" and other such terms when talking about chord changes?

Dissonance, according to the dictionary, is "an inharmonious combination of sounds; discord; any lack of harmony or agreement."

When we listen to music, certain notes sound pleasing when played together. For many people, the interval of a major third (C and E, for instance, or G and B, etc.) is perhaps the most pleasant, or harmonious sound.

Dissonance is when we create a sound that is not harmonious. There are degrees to how harsh the dissonance can be. If you were to play a C (5th fret, G string) and a C# (2nd fret, B string) together, it would sound as if the notes are clashing.

In a sense, they are - you feel that this combination of notes wants to turn into something else. It's almost as if you've caught them in mid-metamorphosis. Play these notes again and now slide your finger on the C down to B (4th fret, G string) and at the same time slide the C# up to D (3rd fret, B string). Can you hear how the dissonance completely disappears? It's the interplay between dissonance and harmony that helps to add a dramatic, almost dynamic aspect to a song.

Dissonance can be created in countless ways. You can add a dissonant note to a chord (even via a melody or bass line), you can play one chord on top of another, or you can play a string of chords while holding one note steady in the bass.

But the thing to remember is that not everyone hears the same sorts of dissonance. It's a matter of what you're used to. That C/C# thing we mentioned earlier? A jazz player would write it off as a C#maj7 and might not think of it as dissonant at all.

[youtube]vHhq3MwPJJw&feature=related[/youtube]

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

haha...yeah I know about dissonance I was just being a smart ass wink

Although I must say I think Robin over uses it and while it was cool in NIN it sounded crap in AFD solos.

But everyone has a style of their own. I just think as your quote was saying - because people hear dissonence differently...I think there is a really fine line between adding a bit of colour and flavour with it - and it just sounding like you can't play wink

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

I like the guitar work in Echoplex, but beyond that, the song sucks.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

haha...yeah I know about dissonance I was just being a smart ass wink

Although I must say I think Robin over uses it and while it was cool in NIN it sounded crap in AFD solos.

But everyone has a style of their own. I just think as your quote was saying - because people hear dissonence differently...I think there is a really fine line between adding a bit of colour and flavour with it - and it just sounding like you can't play wink

i agree..but i think that robin learned to use it with a bit of descretion between 2002 & 2006 cuz he was much improved when they re-emerged IMO 22

Board footer