You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Richard talks GnR in Japanese Magazines

Neemo wrote:

here are the ten Mainstream Rock Tracks this week on Billboard

1. Disturbed - Inside The Fire   
2. 3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time
3. Seether - Rise Above This
4. Saving Abel - Addicted
5. Theory Of A Deadman - So Happy
6. Apocalyptica Featuring Corey Taylor - I'm Not Jesus
7. Motley Crue - Saints Of Los Angeles
8. Atreyu - Falling Down
9. Puddle Of Mudd - Psycho
10. Linkin Park - Given Up 

now compare the gnr leaks we;ve heard with those 10 tracks...I'd say Better, Maddy and TWAT are at least above the scope of these tracks...with the exception of maybe apocalyptica...just my opinion of course

CD and IRS would fit nicely in any list similar to this....

Blues and CITR do sound dated i agree there, i've always said that though

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If Fortus is using a list like that as a guideline when making those types of comments, the nightmare scenario of a shit album is on the verge of unfolding.

Besides, when the world reviews this album they aren't going to compare it to Puddle of Mudd. Its going to be compared to the 87-91 era, musical genres that have came and gone during this wait, and even compared against itself(the leaks).

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

^ I know that it will be compared to 80's/90's gnr...i just think that Fortus was saying the album is different than anything out there currently

I think that fortus is wisely avoiding comparisons to old gnr...they know that they wont top AFD...they are gonna try their damnedest to make an identity of their own...but i dont think they will be able too...if they werent called gnr then maybe, but since they are gnr then the comparisons are inevetable

is the material we've heard totally innovative? New? Fresh?

no not really....does it stand up to other current material? i'd say yeah personally i think it does...and if 2 - 3 singles make it to the billboard top ten during the course of the album then i think it'll be a commercial success

James

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

no not really....does it stand up to other current material? i'd say yeah personally i think it does..

It isn't current though. Thats part of the problem. Most of this material originated in the mid/late 90's, and the more they tinker with it, the more dated it sounds.

So a better question would be......

Does it stand up to what was going on musically in the 90's?

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

6-7 minutes of overproduced crap isn't going to win over the public.  Ambition isn't always a good thing.

dont you get it? axl's vision isnt small enough to fit inside 3-4 minutes 19

James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

no not really....does it stand up to other current material? i'd say yeah personally i think it does..

It isn't current though. Thats part of the problem. Most of this material originated in the mid/late 90's, and the more they tinker with it, the more dated it sounds.

So a better question would be......

Does it stand up to what was going on musically in the 90's?

to everyone but us hardcores it'll be all new..to me most of the leaks sound pretty current with other material out there, i think in 99 this stuff woulda been cutting edge...in 2008 though? its pretty much right with other rock music

but would it have flown in 99? after the dismal reception of OMG i would have to say no...hey maybe Axl waited for the industry to catch up right? 16 yeah lets go with that one 14

personally i think 2002-2004 was the optimal time frame to release it...look how well VR did in 04...and the hype the band had in 02? its a shame that they passed it by 17

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Although Richard doesn't know too much and his opinion and wishes don't mean anything in the Axl world, which, not to mention, changes day to day, it's good that he answered the questions and said some interesting stuff 22

Dreamline
 Rep: 64 

Dreamline wrote:
Neemo wrote:

a translation from google.ca in all its broken english glory 16 maybe dreamline can help us out

Didn't have much time to look at this today, but suntorytime's translation is pretty good from what I read.

To clear up/add a few little things...

(about the album being finished)
"Yes, that's true.  It was finished quite awhile ago, and at the moment is in the label's hands."

(about the album)
"It's totally different from any other album and totally different from any other band.  It's definitely a very different (unprecedented) album, no doubt."

sic. wrote:

Never trust the One-Eyes...

There's a little bit in Neemo's "translation" that didn't make it into the HTGTH transcribe:

Fortus wrote:

Moreover, if this album is released, and immediately following the work itself out. The other songs are too well finished and the next film after 10 years I promise you it is not (laughs).

Something to the effect of there's going to be a follow-up album in less than another 10 years, since the songs are already finished.

"After the album is released, we'll be releasing the follow-up soon after.  We have more than enough songs completed so I can promise you that it won't be another ten-years before the next release."

I know James is gonna love that "totally different, unprecedented" bit. smile

James

James wrote:

The only thing unprecedented is its the first time someone has released a 90's album in 2008.

I don't believe its in the label's hands. Info would have surfaced already if Uni was sitting on this record.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

James Lofton wrote:

The only thing unprecedented is its the first time someone has released a 90's album in 2008.

I don't believe its in the label's hands. Info would have surfaced already if Uni was sitting on this record.

Why? What would have surfaced, if they don't have a release date what is there to say? The labels kept very quiet on the whole project from the start, until the thing's definately coming out I don't see them changing that tactic.

James

James wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why? What would have surfaced, if they don't have a release date what is there to say? The labels kept very quiet on the whole project from the start, until the thing's definately coming out I don't see them changing that tactic.

Well, we knew Kala had been handed in LONG before any release dates got tossed around.

She's on the same label as GNR.

The reason the label "kept quiet" is because there was never anything to say. I would imagine an album being handed in would qualify as something to say.

I never understood the line of thinking that GNR are so much more unique than other artists. This album isn't the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Its a record just like any other, and once the label has it, there's no point in any secrecy. If they have it, they have it.

How does it benefit Uni to not mention having the album?

Board footer