You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: METALLICA Discussion

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I don't really know what "finding their core" would even mean at this point. If they do Black II, it's gonna be kinda old ground, and if they do Puppets II, it's not gonna be marketable on Metallica's level of today and the last 20 years.

I think it probably needs to just be a mix of different stuff again, honestly. Some Black tracks, some Magnetic-like sequels, some touching in on that southern rock style in the mid-to-late 90's...

I know it's dated at this point, but i've always wanted to hear what a Metallica grunge album, but with heavier metal guitars would sound like.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I guess St. Anger could be considered that, because of the stripped down aspect of it, and frankly it sucked. I was thinking more along the line of doing a whole album of "Fade To Black" type songs, which they've never done.

As for Death Magnetic, honestly I felt it was their Chinese Democracy, just for type and the same year of release. DM was the same as CD in that there was some great songs, some forced songs, some that just didn't work, and that it was a comeback, sort of, of sorts. If that makes any kind of sense. 16

Both bands are in the same boat right now imo, except Metallica has one extra old member than GN'R.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Metallica making a comeback like GnR? Are you kidding me???
I'll admit, I'm a huge Metallica fan (Lulu project aside), but Metallica never went away to need to 'come back'.

They've been releasing music and touring constantly over all the years of GnRs inactivity.

I'd consider the Load-Reload albums to be their Chinese Democracy, being all over the place kinda, musically.

Death Magnetic was more or less a stock standard old school Metallica sounding album

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

And there's no way Metallica are now, or were ever in the same boat as GnR. Axl does everything wrong by himself and by his fans. Metallica do not (Lulu aside...) lol

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Metallica making a comeback like GnR? Are you kidding me???
I'll admit, I'm a huge Metallica fan (Lulu project aside), but Metallica never went away to need to 'come back'.

They've been releasing music and touring constantly over all the years of GnRs inactivity.

I'd consider the Load-Reload albums to be their Chinese Democracy, being all over the place kinda, musically.

Death Magnetic was more or less a stock standard old school Metallica sounding album

And they about BURIED their career with St. Anger. Their arrogance, and internal strife within the band not dealt with for years, resulting in a horrendous album that was touted as a 'comeback'. Then they took another long time, short of a lukewarm EP, and Death Magnetic was another 'comeback' album, that diehards called "the best album since Justice", while casuals said "it's alright". This LuLu thing was another disaster. Metallica hasn't done anything noteworthy since the Load/Reload/Garage-era, short of being a "singles" or "one off's" band. S&M had One Leaf Clover, and a couple of singles on Death Magnetic.

For every One Leaf Clover, I can throw up a There Was A Time.

I polietely disagree with you man. I'll give you this... Metallica's "touring act" can still fill arenas in the U.S., unlike Axl's best being about 6,500 people out at a 20,000 seat venue.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Metallica is streaming their set from the Orion Fest here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhmSq5mTG1o

If I understand correctly they're gonna start very soon.  Evidently playing "The Black Album" in full tonight.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

They did Ride The Lightning the first night... And played Escape for the first time. big_smile

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Yeah, video of that is up too  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-165qQIplh4  I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I'm sure I will eventually.

Board footer