You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Re: METALLICA Discussion

Yea the streaming model is a successful one for all forms of media.    netflix, hulu, amazon, itunes, spotify.   even if you "purchase" them on amazon or itunes, you own a license that can be revoked at anytime. 

I think it works however.   For 10 bucks a month I can have access to practically any song I want.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I always look forward to hearing more new Metallica music, and it looks like we'll be getting some this year! 9

I read this as a March/April 2017 release.  But yeah looking forward to it.  As James said, probably Metallica's last (real) album.  Ashame they took so long between records since St Anger but I think they just enjoy living their life now. Could've squeezed 1 myb 2 more in there but whatever.

How did you read that? Album is ready in June (now) and planned for release later this year

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

It's not really like the CD saga.

In that 8 years they released:

Beyond Magnetic (B-sides that didn't make the death magnetic album)
3 Eps of Live Tour peformances
LuLu (Spoken Word Experiment with Lou Reed)
4 Blu Ray videos of Live Tour shows
Through the Never (theatrical movie and dvd/album)

So while it's been a long time between full albums - they've actually put out more than 10 music/video products in that time. Compare that to an 8 years of the CD saga where the band put out absolutely nothing....or I guess maybe the OMG single....

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

It was just a joke, guys!

Didn't really mean anything by it.

Jeez.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
supaplex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Downloading from torrents or sites like megaupload is verging on extinction. It's not even convenient anymore like it used to be. You can stream something quicker than it takes to get the torrent link and you also don't need to risk getting any viruses on your pc or phone.

I still use torrents once in a blue moon and I notice how few seeders there are compared to a few years ago.

Don't quite agree with you there.
As long as there will be poor people piracy will find a way.
Thank's to the internet everyone wants to see/hear the 'it' think right when it's happening.
And if you can't afford it you pirate it.
It won't die that fast.

The funny thing about streaming, though, is that you pay for music/movies but you don't actually own them 16
Good business idea 22

Poor people can stream just as easily as they can download. While you're downloading Bucket's new album on piratebay, I'm already almost finished streaming it on youtube......for free.

LuLu (Spoken Word Experiment with Lou Reed)

What a bizarre project. Worst timing ever. Had they did that 15-20 years earlier it would have been better and the world would have actually paid attention to it.

It never should've been released IMO.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
CSS 2.0 wrote:

It was just a joke, guys!

Didn't really mean anything by it.

Jeez.

Sorry wasn't having a go at you.

Just I've read lots of people who compare the wait for Ac/Dc material, and Aerosmith, and Metallica material to say that the CD wait wasn't that unusual.

However to me the killer point is that the GNR silence happened with out filler products for the most part.

There should be blu-ray releases of Tokyo, Ritz 88, Paris and all manner of other things for us.

I agree with James about LuLu - although the one thing I'll give them is they handled it well in a "get it out of your system way" - they had an odd idea - they made a record - they promoted it - they moved on again. While to most fans it was a WTF it didn't derail their entire career.

To me this is how Axl's industrial phase could have been handled.

Bring in trent or whoever and just go for it as a side project to get your creative rocks off - go nuts with it for 2 years then put it out as it's own thing - rather than attempted to forcibly remould the bands entire image around it long term.

Another similar idea was Michael Hutchence in MaxQ - a departure from INXS....did it and moved on.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Poor people can stream just as easily as they can download. While you're downloading Bucket's new album on piratebay, I'm already almost finished streaming it on youtube......for free.

I thought you were talking about payed streaming. Like Netflix, Amazon, Apple and others.
Hopefully people will still want to actually own the products they use in the future, otherwise they'll be paying rent for their lives.

Board footer