You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Differences in the "old" new leaks....

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm not denying that Slash or the old band wont be brought up, but I at least expect more from a review than "boo hoo, Slash isn't on it. These songs suck."

That's not at all what I said.  However it is interesting that you make that comment while you're on record as saying that without BH these songs suck.  Interesting double standard.

Its not a double standard. I have a guideline to work with, and can compare songs with and without him.

Slash isn't within a light year of any of these tracks.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well i think #2 & #3 suck 16

and its not because slash isnt there....its cuz the songs are shitty 14

Exactly.

James, go reread the threads.  I'm not stating anything that others haven't, yet because you know I prefer Slash to BH, you're attacking me and not the message.  Again, it isn't my message, it's the overall feelings of the posters at this site.

The simple question nobody has yet answered:  If these songs are good, why can't people that have hung around for 10+ years agree on what songs are good and what songs aren't good?  That tells the whole story right there...most people here want these songs to be good, yet can't agree on it...how do you think the rest of the world is going to accept them? 

It's not going to happen without major stripping down of the songs and the record company knows it.  If they release this crap, they will never recover the money they invested.  Never.  It will sell initially, then sales will drop once the "quality" of the album gets out there.  People don't want this crap.  A few of us want this crap - that's it.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'm not denying that Slash or the old band wont be brought up, but I at least expect more from a review than "boo hoo, Slash isn't on it. These songs suck."

That's not at all what I said.  However it is interesting that you make that comment while you're on record as saying that without BH these songs suck.  Interesting double standard.

Its not a double standard. I have a guideline to work with, and can compare songs with and without him.

It's completely a double standard.  I didn't even mention Slash, yet you assume that's why I don't like it, yet no BH means the songs suck?  That is the poster child for double standards.  You have no more proof of that than what you falsely accuse me of believing.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

GnR Slash or Post GnR Slash??

Either way, I'd have to say he is. Obviously SCOM, WTTJ, PC & basically every AFD song & some of UYI (about half) is better than all the leaks. (Better & CD are about as good, I really can't say they are better). Better & CD might be up there with VR or better, but everything else (I can't include The Blues since there's no guitar) post GnR Slash is better. IMHO at least.

I might be comparing songs as a whole and not strictly "guitar parts" but then again, this isn't a BH solo album, it's Gnr.

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well i think #2 & #3 suck 16

and its not because slash isnt there....its cuz the songs are shitty 14

Exactly.

James, go reread the threads.  I'm not stating anything that others haven't, yet because you know I prefer Slash to BH, you're attacking me and not the message.  Again, it isn't my message, it's the overall feelings of the posters at this site.

The simple question nobody has yet answered:  If these songs are good, why can't people that have hung around for 10+ years agree on what songs are good and what songs aren't good?  That tells the whole story right there...most people here want these songs to be good, yet can't agree on it...how do you think the rest of the world is going to accept them? 

It's not going to happen without major stripping down of the songs and the record company knows it.  If they release this crap, they will never recover the money they invested.  Never.  It will sell initially, then sales will drop once the "quality" of the album gets out there.  People don't want this crap.  A few of us want this crap - that's it.

I'm not attacking you. That "Slash is #1" thing was meant as a joke. I'm tired and stoned. Figured you'd pick up on that mildly humorous dig.

I know you're old enough to remember the UYI records, and you and your friends reactions to them. Everyone had a different best/worst song. This is no different. It just sticks out more now because the internet wasn't being used then.

As far as album sales go, I agree. This record will be lucky to go gold the first year. Its not going to appeal to a massive audience. It has no Jungle or SCOM, but that doesn't bother me.

At age 33, I'd rather hear something a bit quirky like Riyadh instead of a rock song I listened to when I was 12.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, tired and stoned is a bad combination.  I've been accused of blindly loving everything Slash enough that I just assume that it's another one of those posts...

The reaction to the UYI albums was relatively universal.  Sure, we liked some songs more than others, but other than My World, there was nothing that was unlistenable.  That isn't the case with these leaks.  One of the new songs was so bad that it didn't last 30 seconds - the other 2 I skipped through hoping to find a part I could get into.  Even with the old leaks, there were parts of Better, TWAT, and The Blues that I could get into even if I didn't like the entire song.  The 3 new songs take awful to a new level.  No hooks, no feel, no continuity...nothing to make me want to ever listen to them again.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I just got through listening to Madagascar all at once! I deserve a cookie! I've been trying since it leaked but damn if I can't keep myself from stopping and switching to a good song after a minute or so. But today I made it! Now I can delete the file in peace.

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Well, tired and stoned is a bad combination.  I've been accused of blindly loving everything Slash enough that I just assume that it's another one of those posts...

The reaction to the UYI albums was relatively universal.  Sure, we liked some songs more than others, but other than My World, there was nothing that was unlistenable.  That isn't the case with these leaks.  One of the new songs was so bad that it didn't last 30 seconds - the other 2 I skipped through hoping to find a part I could get into.  Even with the old leaks, there were parts of Better, TWAT, and The Blues that I could get into even if I didn't like the entire song.  The 3 new songs take awful to a new level.  No hooks, no feel, no continuity...nothing to make me want to ever listen to them again.

I'm gonna use my mom as an example, and I know its a sign I need sleep....

When the UYI records were released, I had her listen to them. She was never a GNR fan, although she did like Patience. The songs that stuck out to her back then were NR and Dust N Bones. That is an odd combination of tracks to like on those records.

There was something for everyone on those records. While I was digging The Garden or Pretty Tied Up, a friend prefers So Fine or Perfect Crime. List goes on. UYI were a smorgasbord, and the same can be said of this.

GnR Slash or Post GnR Slash??

Either way, I'd have to say he is. Obviously SCOM, WTTJ, PC & basically every AFD song & some of UYI (about half) is better than all the leaks. (Better & CD are about as good, I really can't say they are better). Better & CD might be up there with VR or better, but everything else (I can't include The Blues since there's no guitar) post GnR Slash is better. IMHO at least.

I might be comparing songs as a whole and not strictly "guitar parts" but then again, this isn't a BH solo album, it's Gnr.

Even Slash in his prime would have been unable to do anything on these sessions.   While the band is kicking ass on Riyadh, Slash would suck his thumb for two minutes and then try to insert a Yesterdays solo on the track.

No thanks. Went down that road in 1991, and Slash continues down that road. I'm not following him.

You really hold Contraband/Libertad at the same level as CD?:nervous:

It's completely a double standard.  I didn't even mention Slash, yet you assume that's why I don't like it, yet no BH means the songs suck?  That is the poster child for double standards.  You have no more proof of that than what you falsely accuse me of believing

You brought up AFD, and we know who plays on it. I dont need to see you post the word Slash to know what you're getting at.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I just got through listening to Madagascar all at once! I deserve a cookie! I've been trying since it leaked but damn if I can't keep myself from stopping and switching to a good song after a minute or so. But today I made it! Now I can delete the file in peace.

Aren't you the one who criticizes people who don't like any leaks. Pot, meet kettle.

I hope you're not trying to do that out of spite to any of us, because I'm indifferent to Maddy anyway, while I think it's better than the 3 new songs, I don't think it's one of the 3 best either (Better, CD, Blues). To me, it's middle of the road, and i could care less if anyone loves or hates any leaks, or GnR songs for that matter, while they are posting here.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Communist China wrote:

i cant believe you dont like that song CC...i think its damn sweet

Board footer