You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Differences in the "old" new leaks....

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You really hold Contraband/Libertad at the same level as CD? 18

at this point...definately yeah ...for me personally

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

PaSnow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I just got through listening to Madagascar all at once! I deserve a cookie! I've been trying since it leaked but damn if I can't keep myself from stopping and switching to a good song after a minute or so. But today I made it! Now I can delete the file in peace.

Aren't you the one who criticizes people who don't like any leaks. Pot, meet kettle.

I hope you're not trying to do that out of spite to any of us, because I'm indifferent to Maddy anyway, while I think it's better than the 3 new songs, I don't think it's one of the 3 best either (Better, CD, Blues). To me, it's middle of the road, and i could care less if anyone loves or hates any leaks, or GnR songs for that matter, while they are posting here.

I criticize people who don't like any leak. I really dislike one. That's not bad. I really dislike So Fine too. Of the leaks, I love about 6, tolerate 2, and hate 1. (Catcher I really like as well but I'm not counting it here). People that say 'these are all shit' do piss me off, because I really think there's something here for everyone. If there's 2-3 tracks that someone has a big problem with, that's fine, but if you can't find any positives, that's annoying as a fan to read about.

And Neemo, I've never liked it. Not a single live version, or a demo, that I consider anything better than mediocre.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Communist China wrote:

If there's 2-3 tracks that someone has a big problem with, that's fine, but if you can't find any positives, that's annoying as a fan to read about.

And Neemo, I've never liked it. Not a single live version, or a demo, that I consider anything better than mediocre.

no i know you havent CC...i just thinkk your crazy it awesome IMO

i gotta buyrn these to CD and listen to them on a real set of speakers 17

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You really hold Contraband/Libertad at the same level as CD?:nervous:

CD the song or CD the 10 leaks so far?? The song, Better & The Blues to me are really good. On the other hand I do like alot of VR, Slither, FTP, Last Fight, GraveDancer, Messeges. Even so far as For A Brother & Pills Demons etc. I might be able to say Better & CD & The Blues are better than any of them, but the other 6 songs?? Nope, not at all (Don't like the whole 'It was the wrong time for you...' part to TWAT). Granted there are VR songs which are bad, I don't think as aimlessly crappy as some of these 3 leaks, they are more just typical filler to fill a normal cd. Filler>Crap.

Also, VR did it. They put it out there, they made it accessible to the fans which I appreciate. I don't like waiting a few years to download a new demo song every now & then.. Nor do I like paying $50 and driving to a show only to have the band choose not to appear that given night.

I'm just spewing my opinion, sorry if anyone's offended, I just do not like this stuff, granted James, it isn't 1991 stuff. It isn't bland going thru the motions like some 90's bands do. Weezer still doing the blue album stuff all over again, I could name others but it's all subjective & I don't want to offend anyone. But at the same time, i don't think it's good either. And it's been 17 years, maybe it wouldn't be all that bad to hear one more shot at it. Just to see if a couple of old heavyweights still have any fight left in 'em.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I criticize people who don't like any leak. I really dislike one. That's not bad. I really dislike So Fine too. Of the leaks, I love about 6, tolerate 2, and hate 1. (Catcher I really like as well but I'm not counting it here). People that say 'these are all shit' do piss me off, because I really think there's something here for everyone. If there's 2-3 tracks that someone has a big problem with, that's fine, but if you can't find any positives, that's annoying as a fan to read about.

For future reference I think most of us refer to the "new leaks" as the 3 new ones. Not all of them.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

James, I get what you're saying and I agree in general.  The problem is that the songs that aren't for certain people aren't just not as good, they are awful.  With UYI, people prefered certain songs, but other than My World, how many of those songs were unlistenable when the albums came out?  Sure, I don't listen to all of them today, but I did when they came out.

The other thing that you say that is complete BS is that Slash would cower on these songs.  I'm going to let you in on a not so little secret: the general public prefers Slash to BH.  Not everybody thinks that BH adds to the songs.  He hasn't risen to public fame as a result of his exposure in GnR.  More people would prefer a "sloppy" Slash sound to these songs over the electronic, mechanical sound.  More people are going to prefer BBF adding a more natural sound to the songs.  Just because you and a select few other people are more outspoken about it doesn't make it so. 

IF BH is so talented and everybody knows he's so much better than everybody else, why isn't he more popular?  God knows he releases enough music and it's easy enough to get, so why isn't there a huge BH following in the mainstream?  If ANYBODY outside of Axl should have boosted his popularity as a result of the leaks, wouldn't it be BH?  So what happened?  Certainly the whole world can't be missing out on his brilliance?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Easy enough to get? He signs each cd separately. I doubt his next album goes platinum, and if it does his hand will fall off.

I dont have to judge talent by albums sold. Yeah, Slash was on Jungle and SCOM. Hooray.

You cant say Slash wouldnt be intimidated by the CD lineup because the guy couldn't even work with Zakk Wylde. Zakk is fucking great, but I doubt he was going in the directions BH took this project.

As far as UYI, some would consider these tracks "unlistenable"...

Right Next Door to Hell
You Aint the First
Perfect Crime
Get in the Ring
Shotgun Blues
My World

thats 20% of those discs.

Sky Dog wrote:

there is a lot of shit in the gnr catalog that i consider unlistenable.....Think About You and Anything Goes off AFD to start with...complete crap imo. Nobody is right or wrong. It is art and it is subjective taste. cool

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

IF BH is so talented and everybody knows he's so much better than everybody else, why isn't he more popular?  God knows he releases enough music and it's easy enough to get, so why isn't there a huge BH following in the mainstream?  If ANYBODY outside of Axl should have boosted his popularity as a result of the leaks, wouldn't it be BH?  So what happened?  Certainly the whole world can't be missing out on his brilliance?

Talent doesn't equal record sales, you can look at Pop music througout history to see that.

Buckethead is a more "talented" guitar player than Slash, I don't think there's any question.

That said, I prefer Slash's approach(for lack of a better word) to guitar. 

I like Dream Theater, but most of the time I'd rather listen to Buddy Guy. 

It's pretty much the same thing.  Axl doesn't want this to be a straight ahead rock record, that's pretty obvious.  As has been said, comparisons are inevitable, but even without a completely different band, how much does "Metallica" (or maybe a more accurate comparison would be St. Anger since there was some experimenting there) sound like "Kill 'em All".

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

CDs aren't the only avenue to get music...as you say, this isn't 1991.  And I'm not referring to unlistenable in 2008, I'm talking about unlistenable after 1 listen, and if you're honest, My World is the only one.

I'm not here to rip BH - I think he's great at what he does, but he doesn't play with more soul or play solos and riffs that fit the songs better than Slash.  Slash plays the Yesterdays solo in that song because if fits the song, not because it's the most difficult thing he could come up with.  Their styles are so different that comparing them is very difficult, but it's fair to say that each is better at their strength than the other is.

Board footer