You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Differences in the "old" new leaks....

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not here to rip BH - I think he's great at what he does, but he doesn't play with more soul or play solos and riffs that fit the songs better than Slash.  Slash plays the Yesterdays solo in that song because if fits the song, not because it's the most difficult thing he could come up with.

I'm not articulate or well spoken enough to prove you completely wrong but by saying that you come across as one thing. Ignorant.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Its funny that this thread has deteriorated into a Slash v Buckethead thing - 2 guitarists that left ages ago. Come on people, its not 2004 anymore, Buckethead is gone, get over it. Stop living in the past 16 Theres something called Bumblefoot on guitar now, jeez, get with the times....

So what we have deduced is: Buckethead is very talented on guitar, and so is Slash - no argument there. Slash wouldnt fit these songs, ok fine. He probably wouldnt, - but the new guys prove time and again that theyyre very good at butchering Slash's work, but what sticks in your head more? The solo for Sweet Child, or the solo from Rhiad? Thats the crux of the matter really isnt it?

You can take take a song like If the World, Madagascar, Better and whack a great solo on it, an unmemorable solo mind you, and tweak it more and more, so what? You cant polish a turd.

A good song is a good song, regardless of whether some freak shreads a million notes over the top or some other guy sticks a bluesy solo on it. The difference now is that we really dont have many good songs from these guys, a trend that doesnt seem to change from leak to leak really, try and tell me IRS is a classic and up there with anything off UYI (except My World obviously). The only gem is TWAT, especially solo wise and please just tell me that first solo doesnt sound like Slash to you.

What did you get into GNR for? Was it for synths? Multiple piano ballads about some bird that fucked off 10 years ago? Songs that sound like Evanescence (song 2 off the new leaks), or flamenco funk?

The point isnt the talent employed to play on the songs, its the songs themselves. We all know Buckethead is good, but the songs on the whole arent. Not too tricky really.

Right I'm off to listen to If the World... Oh maybe not, its rubbish.

Just my opinion...... big_smile

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not here to rip BH - I think he's great at what he does, but he doesn't play with more soul or play solos and riffs that fit the songs better than Slash.  Slash plays the Yesterdays solo in that song because if fits the song, not because it's the most difficult thing he could come up with.

I'm not articulate or well spoken enough to prove you completely wrong but by saying that you come across as one thing. Ignorant.

You can't prove me wrong, so you name call.  Typical.  Sorry to disappoint you, but my statement is 100% accurate.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You can't prove me wrong, so you name call.  Typical.  Sorry to disappoint you, but my statement is 100% accurate.

Okay firstly ignorant isn't a name. It is not a thing. It's an ADJECTIVE. I described you as ignorant. There's a difference.

Anyways okay go listen to Bucket's solo during Madagascar over the samples. Tell me that's emotionless. Go listen to Electric Tears by Buckethead. Is that the most complicated thing he could come up with. GOD NO. Is it full of emotion, yes.

Your statement I'm afraid is 100% wrong.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

Its funny that this thread has deteriorated into a Slash v Buckethead thing

I agree. Let's leave the old band comparisons at the door please. Slash rips it up and you can hear it on AFD, his live performances and the UYI disks. Buckethead rips it up and you can hear it in Bucketheadland, Colma, Electric Tears, Peppers Ghost, and 40 other of his solo works. They are both great respectively. So lets leave it behind us.

Someone earlier in this thread brought up CITR (a leak I totally forgot about) and it got me thinking about what I was saying earlier about mixing and mastering. When you listen to CITR everything blends and sounds correctly mixed. The only problem is that it was ripped from a cassette tape (wasn't this the story?) so the actual song quality is deteriorated..

If CITR came out in full quality (as in a WAV or FLAC high bit rate file), but had the exact same mix and sound as the original leak it would be a song that could be on an album.

The other leaks just sound like demos.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

CDs aren't the only avenue to get music...as you say, this isn't 1991.  And I'm not referring to unlistenable in 2008, I'm talking about unlistenable after 1 listen, and if you're honest, My World is the only one.

I'm not here to rip BH - I think he's great at what he does, but he doesn't play with more soul or play solos and riffs that fit the songs better than Slash.  Slash plays the Yesterdays solo in that song because if fits the song, not because it's the most difficult thing he could come up with.  Their styles are so different that comparing them is very difficult, but it's fair to say that each is better at their strength than the other is.

I usually don't even attempt to compare them unless I see someone posting while wearing a tophat.:haha:

One reason that its hard to compare is BH's role in the band is different than Slash's was. We'll never know what BH could have done in that role because Finck was already there. Would BH have gave the world a new Jungle? I doubt it. Thats not what he does. Could he? Sure. I still cant hardly believe Axl didn't make BH play all of Slash's leads in the 01-02 era.

Slash was a hit making machine, while BH can play pretty much anything imagined. In 1991, Slash had the UYI discs, which obviously were that year's biggest seller. In 1992, BH had the Transmutation album which is regarded by many as one of the greatest instrumental albums ever recorded. Look what both are doing now.

Okay firstly ignorant isn't a name. It is not a thing. It's an ADJECTIVE. I described you as ignorant. There's a difference.

Cmon Axl S, you know we don't treat fellow members like that here. He is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else here. You can make your point just as easily without throwing "adjectives" in to the mix.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Cmon Axl S, you know we don't treat fellow members like that here. He is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else here. You can make your point just as easily without throwing "adjectives" in to the mix.

Sorry James, I'll take fault there as that was a low blow on my part. Sorry buzz although I still don't understand the Bucket has no emotion comment. 10

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The division is just an indication of how shitty the songs really are,  the majority of the "positive" posts about them are only positive because BH is on them.  The reality is that the "depth" that James refers to is just a result of adding shit because there really is no depth to the song itself.  They can't stand on their own, so the result is add enough layers so that nobody notices the songs aren't very good.  It didn't work.

I see what you're saying and respect your view but i'm not sure I agree.

I think the reason there is such vairance in opinion is because the style is varied. Like with AFD it's all hard rock and if you don't like that kind of thing your're not going to like the album. New GNR leaks are very different from each other in style. You have:

*the industrial rock type stuff: silkworms, rhiad, omg etc
*the traditional stuff: the blues, catcher, maddy, twat
*the hybrid stuff: better, Chinese Democracy
*the other genre stuff: If the world, Unknown Song#2

I think what we'll find is its rare for people to like all of these. If someone digs the industrial they might find the traditional bland...and those that like the traditional might find the industrial jumbled. People who want to headbang will not enjoy the "other genre" stuff, yet those will speak to crossover people who maybe don't like all of the heavier tracks. Meanwhile the hybrid stuff will likely have parts that appeal to everyone, but each of us would always want to remove one passage or tinker with something. (eg the "masturbating robot bubbles" in better is not usually popular to the people that dig the guitar riffs etc).

So i think the fact that all the songs are not uviversally loved speaks to the fact that they change different styles and genres so much, rather than them being naturally good or bad songs.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I just got through listening to Madagascar all at once! I deserve a cookie! I've been trying since it leaked but damn if I can't keep myself from stopping and switching to a good song after a minute or so. But today I made it! Now I can delete the file in peace.

See that's what I find interesting about these tracks. The mixed reaction. Like from the first time I heard maddy I loved the song - and especially the first 2 verses. The solo that I know everyone else on here loves never did much for me, so i usually drift off or listen to the quotes in the middle bit.....

So this is a good example of the mixed reactions out there. Some love the song, some hate it, some like bits of it.

Board footer