You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Differences in the "old" new leaks....

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You cant say Slash wouldnt be intimidated by the CD lineup because the guy couldn't even work with Zakk Wylde. Zakk is fucking great, but I doubt he was going in the directions BH took this project.

I don't think slash was intimidated by Zakk, they're friends and have played around together a bit.

I think it's a question of differing musical vision.

Slash operates from a 1970s rock...led zep..aerosmith...etc perspective where you have 2 guitar parts - a rhythm part to set the key and act as a foil for a lead part to pull melodies and solo over.

Having three guitarists in the band is not compatiable with that...for that style you can't have two lead guitarists.

If Zakk and Slash and Gilby were in the band one of them would be doing nothing of use at any one stage.

I find it's similar in the modern band. Having BBF, Richard and Robin play a song like "brownstone" with 2 distinct guitar parts adds nothing.

What it comes down to is Axl basicly wanted to add session musicans to the songs to get different styles in different places. And other than play the one solo where they are needed they do nothing. This is true of bucket and robin too. The parts everyone loves of bucket...are usually 20 seconds of massive shred solos inserted before a chorus (better) or over a scream (IRS)....the rest of the time he doesn't have much to do.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:

What did you get into GNR for? Was it for synths? Multiple piano ballads about some bird that fucked off 10 years ago?

Yes.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

A lot has been said about Slash vs Bucket.

I think we should distinguish between technical ability where bucket owns most guitarists and creative suitibility where slash owns. Yes...slash can't play "Notthinham Lace" but you know what....bucket would NEVER have written the AFD and UYI riffs and melodies even if he's been in the band back then either.

James was making fun of Slash's "yesterdays style solo in rhiad  kinda thing, sure - slash always does huge bends with blues notes....but someone could easily give shit to buckethead for his obsession with the killswitch and love of the octave pedal...both of which would have ruined estranged.

Bottom line is - they're both great guitatists for totally different reasons. And sadly neither of them is in the band sad

Going back to what was said earlier, it will be interesting to see what BBF adds to these songs, as the key element the leaks have always lacked is a guitar 'vision' i think.

People will hate me for this, but I see it like this:

Slash is a fucking amazing guitarst...but he sticks to the one blues-rockk style mostly...as well he should because he owns everyone else when in that style...but it became obvious that Axl wanted to try recording some "my world" style tracks outside that box...and so started messing with the idea of bringing in people to play parts in different styles..ala paul huge etc....Slash found this insulting (and was sick of the BS as listed in his book) and left the band.

Axl replaces Slash with robin, a guy who has a more industrial flavour, but limited skills in the blues department. He writes some more modern sounding tracks (better), and does a couple of solos that are slashesque (blues). But he has limitations - (better outro, robins solo in TWAT both sound like a slash imitation) and he butchers the old songs. You arn't going to be writing a coma with robin around.

So axl get's in bucket. A guitarist with far more technical ability and speed than either robin or slash. Bucket adds some shred stuff, and is also good for adding to the industrial style and experemental songs cos of his primus style stuff. But I'm not sure if he would have added a lot of the classic rock songs..except for a solo here and there (irs, twat).

So axl brings in BBF, a guy who can also shred, but with more traditional roots. so it will be interesting to see what he adds.

I mean songs like IF the World demonstrate to me there is no guitar vision for these tracks. it's like Axl writes a cool melody then just hires a bunch of people to come in and see what they can do with it.
Basicly...GNR is a session musican studio band these days...and one that doesn't release albums yet sadly...

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Guns N' Roses is Axl Rose, and in these leaks I see him using any and all means to fulfill whatever strange, brilliant vision he's had for this thing. If it takes session players, so be it.

In their former incarnation, Guns N' Roses could've been the next Rolling Stones. Axl wanted to be the next Queen. It worked. Just release this damn thing soon.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Okay firstly ignorant isn't a name. It is not a thing. It's an ADJECTIVE. I described you as ignorant. There's a difference.

Cmon Axl S, you know we don't treat fellow members like that here. He is entitled to his opinion just like everyone else here. You can make your point just as easily without throwing "adjectives" in to the mix.

Sorry James, I'll take fault there as that was a low blow on my part. Sorry buzz although I still don't understand the Bucket has no emotion comment. 10

Apology accepted - though I'd understand why you'd feel that way if I said what you think I said.  I never said he has no emotion.  I just don't think it's anywhere near the level that Slash plays with - and that isn't an insult because few play with that level of emotion.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
von wrote:

Guns N' Roses is Axl Rose, and in these leaks I see him using any and all means to fulfill whatever strange, brilliant vision he's had for this thing. If it takes session players, so be it.

In their former incarnation, Guns N' Roses could've been the next Rolling Stones. Axl wanted to be the next Queen. It worked. Just release this damn thing soon.

Didn't Queen release Radio Ga Ga or whatever that shitty song was called?  You're right - Axl turned them into Queen.

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

von wrote:

The best post in the entire thread. Summed up my thoughts there. 22

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

James, I get what you're saying and I agree in general.  The problem is that the songs that aren't for certain people aren't just not as good, they are awful.  With UYI, people prefered certain songs, but other than My World, how many of those songs were unlistenable when the albums came out?  Sure, I don't listen to all of them today, but I did when they came out.

The other thing that you say that is complete BS is that Slash would cower on these songs.  I'm going to let you in on a not so little secret: the general public prefers Slash to BH.  Not everybody thinks that BH adds to the songs.  He hasn't risen to public fame as a result of his exposure in GnR.  More people would prefer a "sloppy" Slash sound to these songs over the electronic, mechanical sound.  More people are going to prefer BBF adding a more natural sound to the songs.  Just because you and a select few other people are more outspoken about it doesn't make it so. 

IF BH is so talented and everybody knows he's so much better than everybody else, why isn't he more popular?  God knows he releases enough music and it's easy enough to get, so why isn't there a huge BH following in the mainstream?  If ANYBODY outside of Axl should have boosted his popularity as a result of the leaks, wouldn't it be BH?  So what happened?  Certainly the whole world can't be missing out on his brilliance?

popularity does not equate to "being better".
slash is a lot more known than BH because he played with one of the greatest bands of all time through it's entire peak of popularity and so he got much much more exposure than BH. So he is more popular because of it.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I think we should distinguish between technical ability where bucket owns most guitarists and creative suitibility where slash owns. Yes...slash can't play "Notthinham Lace" but you know what....bucket would NEVER have written the AFD and UYI riffs and melodies even if he's been in the band back then either.

James was making fun of Slash's "yesterdays style solo in rhiad  kinda thing, sure - slash always does huge bends with blues notes....but someone could easily give shit to buckethead for his obsession with the killswitch and love of the octave pedal...both of which would have ruined estranged.

Bottom line is - they're both great guitatists for totally different reasons. And sadly neither of them is in the band :(

Quoted for truth. Having listened to and loved about 10 Buckethead albums and having listened to all of Slashes stuff on AFD, UYI, and with Velvet you have to be joking if you think either one could re-create each other's styles.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
-Jack- wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Bottom line is - they're both great guitatists for totally different reasons. And sadly neither of them is in the band sad

Quoted for truth. Having listened to and loved about 10 Buckethead albums and having listened to all of Slashes stuff on AFD, UYI, and with Velvet you have to be joking if you think either one could re-create each other's styles.

That's what I was trying to say - I just said it in an Axl Rose style...not really direct and full of words that can be interpreted in different ways.

Board footer