You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Differences in the "old" new leaks....

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The division is just an indication of how shitty the songs really are,  the majority of the "positive" posts about them are only positive because BH is on them.  The reality is that the "depth" that James refers to is just a result of adding shit because there really is no depth to the song itself.  They can't stand on their own, so the result is add enough layers so that nobody notices the songs aren't very good.  It didn't work.

Are you serious??:nervous:

Or is this one of those "Slash is #1 and everything else sucks" type of posts?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know where Bri's quote in James' signature came from, but it's that kind of lunacy that led to the mess we have now.  The few crazy BH fans are trying to convince Ax that this mess is better than AFD, and UYI and nothing could be further from the truth.  Go review the youtube video comparing the 3 NR outtros...you'll see why Slash owns BH in the one area most important to the GnR sound.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The division is just an indication of how shitty the songs really are,  the majority of the "positive" posts about them are only positive because BH is on them.  The reality is that the "depth" that James refers to is just a result of adding shit because there really is no depth to the song itself.  They can't stand on their own, so the result is add enough layers so that nobody notices the songs aren't very good.  It didn't work.

Are you serious??:nervous:

Or is this one of those "Slash is #1 and everything else sucks" type of posts?

Not at all.  These songs blow James.  If they didn't, the entire fan base would be elated, not just a few BH fans.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

The songs are so bad that nobody can even agree on which ones suck and which ones are good.  This isn't a sign of stellar material.

James

James wrote:

I'll agree there is almost too much going on in these tracks.  But how you can say there is "no depth" to the songs is going way overboard.

You need to clean the wax out of your ears....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think what buzz is getting it is sometimes less is more . and there are definately many times where that is the case on this material...even on songs i do enjoy from the new material

but based on what we have heard i dunno if buzz isnt right to a certain extent..

Robin has never been an overly fantastic Guitarist....hes alright...dare i say average

Obviously now that we've finally heard tommy hes rather average as well

with Axl so high in the mix sometimes his performances are average at best

now with the tommy thing you guys say there is no room for him to do anything else...thats ridiculous..the odd run here and there would have done wonders...instead he follows the rhythm for the vast majority of the material...hell i can do that and i'm a really shitty bass player 16

anyway i dont necessaryily think that the songs are shit, cuz each has their own opinion...but some of them definately are not for me...and i think that may be a running comment on the material....i think Axl may have tried to appeal to too wide of a fan base, ya cant please everyone

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I'll agree there is almost too much going on in these tracks.  But how you can say there is "no depth" to the songs is going way overboard.

You need to clean the wax out of your ears....

I did clean the shit out of my ears...I turned off that song that Axl sounds like a girl on 20 seconds in because it was so bad.  That might have been the greatest song in the world after the 30 second mark, but if nobody can make it to that point, does it really matter?

When I say no depth, I'm referring to the quality of the song itself, not the musical layers.  Sure, there is musical depth, but it comes off as an effort to cover up a weak song more than an opportunity to add more quality to the song. 

Go back and read through the reviews here...almost everybody saying anything positive is referring to BH.  Maybe other places are different - I don't know - but the majority of positive comments are "the song is ok but BH is awesome from this time to this time of the song" and the rest of the comments are less positive than that.  Everybody pretty much agrees (for the most part) on the songs on AFD and UYI that are top notch because those songs are great songs.  With these songs, nobody can agree on anything and we're supposed to want to hear new material form Axl.  What do you think the rest of the world is going to think if we can't even agree on what is good and what isn't?

James

James wrote:

Your stance(not just you but the general statement) is the worst case scenario for the band. You're comparing it to the old band. Its a valid comparison since Axl kept the name and anything he does under the GNR name has to be compared to the prior discography.

What reeks from your "review" of the music is that you simply wont give it a chance. You're not broadening your horizons because Slash isn't on the record.

How does Riyadh musically have "no depth" and an attempt at covering up a weak song? If anything, Axl is the song's weak link.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Your stance(not just you but the general statement) is the worst case scenario for the band. You're comparing it to the old band. Its a valid comparison since Axl kept the name and anything he does under the GNR name has to be compared to the prior discography.

What reeks from your "review" of the music is that you simply wont give it a chance. You're not broadening your horizons because Slash isn't on the record.

How does Riyadh musically have "no depth" and an attempt at covering up a weak song? If anything, Axl is the song's weak link.

The general public is going to compare it to the old music.  It's the same band, right?  All the people that want to say it's still Guns N' Roses have to live with the fact that the comparison will NEVER go away.  But this isn't about the name issue.

I listen to a lot of great music that Slash doesn't appear on.  This has nothing to do with him at all.  It has to do with the fact that these songs are so bad that even the people that have stuck around for 10+ years can't agree on what is good and what isn't.  This isn't my message, this is summing up the messages that the people that were excited to get the leaks have posted here.  Read it.  I purposely stayed out of it until enough posts had been made to draw a fair conclusion.  This isn't my message, it's the site's collective message.

As for Riyadh, I'll turn the question around:  How does it have depth?  It is at best an ok song as is in my opinion.  As with most of these songs, there's some potential there, but at this point, we shouldn't be discussing potential anymore.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I'm with Buzzsaw on the new leaks, however just an FYI buzz this thread is actually about the older leaks, which leaked again. Apparently they have a few minor additions again. I wouldn't know, I havent' listened to them yet. I like some/most older leaks, but I don't care about minor tweaks. Listening to the new Better right now for the first time, sounds pretty much the same to me. However when you did post:

buzzsaw wrote:

Just be aware, James & others might be referring to the older songs (Better, CD, IRS) when they say 'layers are added". Again I like some of the older leaks, I feel Better, CD, & Blues can hang with UYI stuff. However the new 3 are indefensible to me.

Board footer