You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Axl writing Autobiography & the sequel to "Estranged?" (RS)

Smoking Guns wrote:

Baz, write? WTF

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Is it ment to be 12,000 words or pages? Is that a typo...cos 12,000 words isn't too far off 6 pages wink

12-15, perhaps. Depending on the layout he uses. But honestly, 12,000 words ain't that much.

Baz may have around 4,000 words with six pages, so don't knock it.

Ros has found time for a couple of interesting projects inbetween court dates, though. Firstly, he has been keeping an eye on the forthcoming official biography of Guns N' Roses. Somewhat pessimistically titled Shattered Illusion, it's due for publication in 1995 and has been written by Axl's long-time friend and lyrical collaborator, Del James. The book is understood to be the inside story of the band with a great deal of input from the vocalist's side. It's sure to be both an entertaining and controversial read! - Raw, 11/94

Axl, in recent months, promised, through his manager, to take time from his recording schedule and pen exclusively for ROLLING STONE his version of how and why Guns N' Roses broke up. Months went by, and this missive never materialized. Then, days before this story went to press, Doug Goldstein proclaimed, "Good news!" Axl was ready to hand over a 10,000-word-plus essay. A day later, Goldstein withdrew that promise and ended all communication with ROLLING STONE. - RS, 05/00

Like CD, the autobiography has been rewritten multiple times and has gone through several editors. Axl indulges in late-night writing jams, where he scribbles out bits and pieces and his editors are left to work in a Burroughsian situation, where they need to literally piece together a story - not to mention one Axl feels is the true GNR story. Pages have been leaked to the web, but everyone involved feels they just don't read right as of yet.

The elusive Rose has offered but little comment.

"People will read words this year."

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Bucket should come in and "rescue" Axl's autobiography, but it's hard to write with a Herbie puppet on your hand. Besides, people would just want the version Slash wrote for him in the '80s and keeps rewriting every few years.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

'He's like the George Lucas of rock,' Bach marvels.

Yep, he took something fantastic, chopped and changed it again and again, tweaked it and tweaked it til it turned to shit.

As for the General being a 'slow grinding track', didn't he say exactly the same thing about Sorry? Doom metal or something??? 16 We have enough slow songs on this album, grinding or not. Everything Baz says just gives me the fear or is downright annoying. They may as well ask Beavis & Butthead to be the official spokesperson for GNR. The sequel to Estranged - i.e a long balled about Stephanie Seymour. Someone ran out of ideas many years ago it seems.

Pessimism aside, an autobiography would be most interesting, I reckon it would be painful reading and may finally give us a better insight into the world of Axl and his side of the whole GNR thing. I'd hope hes objective and not just blame the whole world for everything but we'll see. Some chapters will be pretty thin though I'm sure - '1996-2002 - got out of bed, tried writing a song about Stephanie, went out, bought some rap clothes, went back to bed'.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Axl writing about the bizarre journey of Chinese Democracy(and be truthful) would be more interesting than Chinese Democracy itself.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

the first thing which came to my head when i read this was Axl's explanation of what "Oh My God" wasall about in the late 90's.....all jumbled up and made no sense...

so reading that style of rambling in a 300-400 page book will be nothing short of mind numbingly annoying...

but i hope they write it in such a way so that normal people can actually read and understand it....

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Sequel to Estranged? Thank God he said that. The album needed more hype.

no doubt...yeesh 18

I've always wondered about the possibility of an Axl autobiography. I'm sure it'd turn out to be a great read. He's always spoken his mind, and, unlike other people, his story's stayed consistent. You have to think it'd be pretty insightful.

"The General" as a harder-hitting sequel to "Estranged" is an interesting concept. But I won't let my expectations get out of hand for a song that I may not hear any time soon.

I have to say though, Baz is better with PR than Goldstein and Merk combined.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elmir wrote:

the first thing which came to my head when i read this was Axl's explanation of what "Oh My God" wasall about in the late 90's.....all jumbled up and made no sense...

I never saw that. Was it an interview or something he had written himself? As I can understand giving a bad answer in an interview (especially when your hyper concious about being miss represented as axl is, and when speaking of something emotional and personal like a song)...

I think this is what he's referring to:

http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles … icleid=120

Board footer