You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: What if the leaks (all of them) never happened?

Gunslinger wrote:

There has been alot of bitching about the leaks from GNR management and others but what if the leaks we have obtained over the past few years (for most people 2006-2008) never occured?  I think the forums would be dead now, interest for Chinese Democracy would have been long gone and the chances of any success would be dwindled. 

The leaks made the forums come alive again in 2006 for the first time really since 2002.  The leaks in 2007 helped rekindle interest and then these recent leaks have definitely saved a withering community, no one could dispute this.   

There is talk now that the leaks may delay or even prevent the release of Chinese Democracy but I think if anything the opposite is true.  These leaks should remind "those it may concern" that we fans have waited FOREVER for this album and the longer it is held by the powers that be the more likely things like this is going to happen.  At least now there is a buzz again and C.D. could still be released with fans (at the very least forum fans) anxious to get a copy. 

Without the leaks happening where would Chinese Democracy (and the community that has helped keep it alive) be right now?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I agree. There would be no one left to release cd to, although if they also toured, at least we would have bootlegs of the songs. We went for years just having boots of The Blues, CD, Rhiad for example.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I honestly don't think I'd still be posting.

No offense gang.

I have to say I agree that the leaks have saved certain forums from going under and kept interest peaked with some that would have possibly left and lost interest a long time ago.

But I what I will say on the flip side is that even if we didn't get any leaks at all, we'd still have the live performances as a chance to hear some of the new stuff which was the case with Blues, Maddy, Rhyiad and CD.   Possibly in 2006 had we not heard IRS, Better and Twat [which was played at Hammerstein] we would have heard them if they planned on playing them regardless.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

i just hope it isnt another 2 years till the next leaks or hopefull they CD being released lol

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

i think we'd still be here.

we'd have boots of the "new" songs.

people went through 94-01 and 02-06 silence.

i think the 02-06 part was the hardest. a lot of people heard a bunch of new tracks performed live on a tour that failed completely from a "circus act" as they were called. a band with a frontman that was a ghost of his own self. a lot of people cringed when they heard his voice during that tour. but they still cheered for them as hard as it was.

but, with all that, we were still here, still waiting. no news, no nothing. and we'll still be here because it's a thing we do from our daily routine. eat, sleep, work, check the gnr board to see how people are doing.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

I have to say I agree that the leaks have saved certain forums from going under and kept interest peaked with some that would have possibly left and lost interest a long time ago.

But I what I will say on the flip side is that even if we didn't get any leaks at all, we'd still have the live performances as a chance to hear some of the new stuff which was the case with Blues, Maddy, Rhyiad and CD.   Possibly in 2006 had we not heard IRS, Better and Twat [which was played at Hammerstein] we would have heard them if they planned on playing them regardless.

Who knows if anything would have happened in 2006? I mean the only reason there was some interest in that tour is because of the leaks.

Axl S wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Who knows if anything would have happened in 2006? I mean the only reason there was some interest in that tour is because of the leaks.

Naaaahhh.  If those leaks never happened and GNR went on tour in 2006, we'd all be just as excited to see them and there would be even more anicipation to see if any new songs would have been played.  It definitely didn't suck to hear them before hand no doubt but I know regardless of leaks or not, I still would have went to 3 shows 9

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

But I bet the leaks helped build some hype for that tour. It's what made it look different from 01/02. That there was some music in some form to go with it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

personally i thought 02 had a more electrifying atmosphere

Board footer