You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Are we at comparison time yet? BEST of VR vs. BEST of New GNR Lineup

monkeychow wrote:

Because I love Axl and Slash I can't get into this vs stuff.

However...I can contribute the GNR album I would have liked to hear (not in order):

Dime Store Rock
Neither Can I
Beggers and Hanger's on
Soma City Ward
Serial Killer
Speed Parade
Slither
Let It Roll
Get Out The Door
Slither
Sucker Train Blues
Madagascar
There Was A Time
The Blues
Catcher in the Rye
Prostitute (if its track 2)

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

While I agree that Rio's Maddy performance is it's best, it's still a fucking boring song.

To Saikin, I think Ron does extremely well on the old GN'R stuff. He replicates it without adding too much of his own interpretation that it takes away from what the song was (Robin) and with enough ability and energy that it comes off really well.

BH playing Slash stuff... well, it's certainly good enough, but nothing god-like about it. BH should be left to his own material.

Snakepit 1 is better than Snakepit 2, VR, and maybe even CD at times. I love 5 O'clock Somewhere.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Saikin wrote:

Now THAT is the way this song should be in the studio.  The quotes should be lower like that, with Bh's solo going at the same time.

That video really makes me miss the 01 lineup.  sad

I never realized Axl picked up a guitar during that song.  He doesn't do that anymore does he?

As for the comparison.  It's an interesting and fun thing to do, but I don't think it's the right time for that.  Although I'd favor newGNR over most if not all VR songs, there are a lot more VR songs to choose from.  Who's to say Axl doesn't have 4 or 5 better songs up his sleeve?  I know it's just for fun though.  "Loving the Alien" is one of my favorite VR songs.  I didn't see that one mentioned anywhere, am I alone on that front?

Slither                      <     TWAT
You Got No Right      <     IRS
Sucker Train Blues     <     The Blues
Fall To Pieces             <     Better
Let It Roll                   <     Chinese Democracy
Loving The Alien         >    If The World
The Last Fight            <    Track 2
Set Me Free               >   Madagascar
Messages                   >  Rhiad

That was actually closer than I thought'd be.  But again, you're choosing from 30+ songs from one band compared to 9.  Not really an even playing field.

Sky Dog wrote:

Loving The Alien is one of the only VR songs I like.....some nice Slash licks there. He actually sounds like Mick Ronson from Bowie's Ziggy Stardust era. The song itself is very Bowiesque.:thumbup:

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This might sound like total hypocrisy coming from me, but I think the anti BBF brigade needs to drop a few levels. Its known here that some of us don't like his style very much, and I am pretty much the biggest bitcher when it comes to that situation.

However, he was cool enough to join here and communicate with this fanbase, so respect is deserved in that regard. Not trying to censor anyone as I consider all viewpoints valid here, but lets try and show the guy a bit of respect.

Opinions can be posted without flaming the guy. Also, he will be more reluctant to chat with you guys knowing that quite a few are pretty much against him.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't think most of us are anti-BBF, in fact I'd argue the opposite.  The problem he runs into is that he has the job of replicating the music of the 2 most beloved guitarists in GnR history.  The BH fans are always going to prefer BH and the Slash fans will prefer Slash.  BBF needs to start playing Robin's stuff so people will actually prefer him to the original.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Nothing this band does will ever top that.

The sad thing is...if I link a video from 1988, 1991, or now 2001 and they all have one thing in common...none of the guitarists who play in the band are still in the band sad

Jungle Blood
 Rep: 3 

Jungle Blood wrote:

I like Gravedancer neutral

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Because I love Axl and Slash I can't get into this vs stuff.

However...I can contribute the GNR album I would have liked to hear (not in order):

Dime Store Rock
Neither Can I
Beggers and Hanger's on
Soma City Ward
Serial Killer
Speed Parade
Slither
Let It Roll
Get Out The Door
Slither
Sucker Train Blues
Madagascar
There Was A Time
The Blues
Catcher in the Rye
Prostitute (if its track 2)

Nice list, you must really love Slither wink
This seems like a better approach than the VR vs nuGNR thing. My list would look a little like this (in order of release date):

Snakepit IFOC:
Neither Can I
Dime Store Rock
Beggers and Hanger's on
Take It Away
Back and Forth Again

Snakepit ALG:
Serial Killer
Ain't Life Grand

VR - Contraband:
Slither
Fall To Pieces

VR - Libertad:
Get Out The Door
nuGNR:
If The World
Better
There Was A Time
The Blues

Conclusion: I seem to prefer those songs that most closely resemble UYI era GNR's style, with the notable exception of "If The World" and "Get Out The Door".

Board footer