You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Marc Canter on Fuse - The Sauce

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

James, come on...your focusing on the wrong thing...Bumble said and the band said the recording is done...end of discussion. The big problem is negotiating with the label. With all the money invested by the record company and then all the costs of recording done after the label cut off funds (costs paid by the artist), ten years of shit is not going to be settled because Axl has an album.Merck told you negotiations had to take place, Axl said it, this guy says it, no manager since Merck left, common sense says it is a fucking business clusterfuck. What is Axl going to do with the "extra songs", who owns them if Axl only owes Uni one album? Both parties have paid for the recordings-who owns them?????? If I 'm Axl, I 'm saying you have your one album of 12 songs and I get the rest....Uni probably says they are all theirs. No manager to help negotiate. Who is going to pay for promotion? Maybe both parties want a new contract....maybe Axl wants all the music and wants to walk away free of the label.....endless possibilities and ALOT of money at stake...throw in Radiohead's bold move and things get even more interesting..recording guitar parts that may only take a week to do is chicken shit compared to the business side of things.:haha:

thanks Pasnow and Double

I'm not doubting there are legal obstacles to overcome. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the rights for the  quotes used in Madagascar have not been obtained yet.

However, throwing in musician of the week to add to the record doesn't help things either. It just complicates things even more. How many hands do you want in the cookie jar? Especially when those hands are bound to leave at any time. You claim adding musicians is "chickenshit", well it sure took alot of time to get that last chickenshit incident under control. Almost 3 years. Big difference between a week and three years. Then you have the recent "chickenshit" episode with Brain.

What happens if Bumblefoot decided to leave? Frank? Stinson? Are you telling me it would only take a week to sort out that problem?:haha:

My point is GNR in the Chinese Democracy era has never been able to solidify itself as a real band. I'm not talking about the "this isn't GNR" crap, I am talking about the band being its own entity long enough to be able to sustain itself as a recording and touring band. The closest we ever got was 2001, and we know how that turned out. Sure, things look "safe" at the moment, but the current lineup has been together for a year. The Buckethead-Huge era was a unit for several years and things were looking good then as well. Remember the tentative June 2001 release mention not just from Axl, but from Beta? Recording was done then as well.

No offense, but someone saying recording is done in 2007 doesn't hold as much weight as people want it to. It was done in 2001, 2002, 2004, and now 2007.

If there is any hope of this album ever surfacing, the games, delays, excuses, finger pointing,etc. have to stop and Axl buckle down with his current lineup and get this thing launched. If it means removing Buckethead, Huge, and any other former members from the equation, then so be it.

Just get it done. The past two years the GNR camp has talked more about VR and ex members than they have their own project. That line of thinking needs to stop. Like all the hardcore supporters say, "the past is the past. move on". We already know Slash is gone and they hate VR. I don't need Beta or Del James reminding me every few months.

Axl wasn't even done recording in 06 or even at the time BBF added his parts in Jan of 07 if I am remembering right.  Merck said in his letter that Axl has more recording to do so even tho Axl wanted BBF and Frank on the album, he still wasn't done yet.  Exactly the time Axl recorded I have no clue.  I can understand what you are saying James, hopefully this will be the band now and for a long time.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

If the extra efforts are being made for Ron and Frank then they most likely are intending on staying in GNR for a while. I can believe the album is done or very close. I never thought I'd say this but Merck could have helped a lot if the album is actually done and the business side of things is what is taking so long now.

James

James wrote:

I agree. Losing Merck was a bad thing, which is funny because everyone hated him when he was involved. Yeah, he was lame how he talked to fans, but at times like this when there's a chance for forward progress, his services could have come in handy.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Oh yeah.. I for one was never his biggest fan. Maybe he could have gotten the album out already or at least  a solid release date. Hopefully a new manager is in place or close to being.

Sky Dog wrote:

You guys are missing my point...the ONLY way this album will get launched is if the record company and Axl settle their business differences. Adding or re-recording guitar parts on 10 year old songs is simple. The songs are there, we know that from a thousand different sources. For fuck's sake, Dark Side of the Moon was written and recorded, head to toe, in less than 6 months. Led Zeppelin wrote and recorded Presence in 2 weeks. Adding guitar lines over already existing, fully recorded tracks is simple. What is not simple is a crazy ass motherfucking singer trying to negotiate a new record deal for allegedly 3 albums of material without a manager where at a bare minimum 13 million dollars is at stake! Gnr fans are so skewed in their thinking of what it takes to make an album that we have simply lost touch with reality. Nobody in the history of recorded music has put together 10 solid years of recording off and on without releasing an album or song.......arrrrgghhhhh. 15

James

James wrote:

No, I didn't miss the point. You have always been in the "legal obstacles preventing the release" camp, and those opinions are valid. I agree to a certain extent. An album cant be released if there's some sort of red tape preventing it.

Where we disagree is regarding how simple it is to record this album. All it takes is one member leaving to cause a delay that would last years, and there are plenty of examples of this. Comparing Dark Side of the Moon's recording process to CD is a joke.

Your earlier post about Radiohead was a good point. That could have huge implications for the industry as a whole. So could Madonna's recent contract with Livenation.

Sky Dog wrote:

It only takes years because Axl is a lunatic...seriously. Maybe when someone leaves Axl just sits around and does nothing for a year. But, good musicians can learn and record guitar parts in weeks. That is what I was saying about Gnr fans being lulled in to believing that a guitar player leaving would delay things for "years"...that only happens in Axl world and is not because Axl goes back and re writes all the songs. No where else and never before in the history of recorded music! It is pretty obvious that after Bucket left they didn't go in and write a bunch of fresh new songs. Ron didn't even record until late 2006/early 2007 and just for a few weeks...not years. It is crazy...and it all stems from the head honcho. Shit, Ron recently told the guy at CD.COM that the "record company was holding up the release" and Ron said something about his dislike for major labels- I believe that exchange took place and I still believe there is a substantial problem with the record company. There is no evidence to suggest the band is going to fold or that anyone is gonna leave. And, there is absolutely no evidence that they are still recording and writing songs......

ps and for the record, I always believed and stated that the "legal or business issues" would surface once the record and recording is completed. Just like Merck said, UNI would not talk to them until they had an album in the can. Well, we are now there my friend.:flame:

pss and I am not pissed at anyone here or saying that you are wrong James...I am more just fleshing out my thoughts and venting.

madagas wrote:

Shit, Ron recently told the guy at CD.COM that the "record company was holding up the release" and Ron said something about his dislike for major labels

Ron never said this he is a stand up guy and wouldn't say something to a fan that he knows would get out on the net.     If he says he didn't say it, I believe him and this is the quote he posted on the net about this situation.   

Like it says on my site, my forum, my myspace page...  << Any interviews I do are for entertainment only, take it lightly as it's meant - you will NOT hear any GnR breaking news from me. GnR will give you confirmed information at their discretion. If you don't hear it from them, it's probably just a rumor. >>

I *never* said Geffen has Chinese Democracy. To anyone spreading this or similar rumors, cut the crap!!

Thanks,

Ron

I don't want this thread turning into this topic not what the thread is about.

Sky Dog wrote:

two different issues on whether the record company has the album....and whether or not the record company is holding up the release...Ron seems confused. But, I'm done. And, it relates to the topic because Canter talks about management (business) issues holding up the release as well.

Board footer