You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: In regards to 9 song GNR Chinese Democracy leaks

monkeychow wrote:

Hey J,

Can I ask a question? How were you able to master the tracks without having the original source files? Like you made these from an Mp3 or something right? I would have thought you'd need to have the original protools files to be able to bring things up and down properly in the mix and isolate the parts.

NB: I totally believe this is your work, so i'm not at all implying you didn't do it, or giving you a hard time or anything like that. I'm just a guitarist and thus ignorant of the world of recording/mastering enginers and that kind of thing..(ui just play my part and go home..then they do their magic LOL) .and trying to get my head around how it it all works smile

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

jpowell.........i just want to say that the work you did on these songs is amazing. the difference is night and day. it was even more impressive to hear the older leaks with the updated sound. incredible job and thanks.:mosh:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...they sound pretty damn good like this i must say. Don't supose you've ever thought of doing "Catcher in the Rye" wink wink

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

^^^
great idea ! i think he'd have his work cut out for him on that one though. easily one of my fav's but the quality isn't even up to par with these 3 new leaks in their original leaked form.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

"I have expectations.  I don't settle.  I didn't with Snakepit, I didn't with VR, and I'm not going to with Axl's new GnR."

i don't understand why anyone wold want to waste their time on this site if this is the case.  if that were me i would lay low and if a reunion happens, then maybe get back into the forum thing. personally, i am really starting to beleive this new and finished material is going to be great.

JPowell
 Rep: 5 

JPowell wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Hey J,

Can I ask a question? How were you able to master the tracks without having the original source files? Like you made these from an Mp3 or something right? I would have thought you'd need to have the original protools files to be able to bring things up and down properly in the mix and isolate the parts.

NB: I totally believe this is your work, so i'm not at all implying you didn't do it, or giving you a hard time or anything like that. I'm just a guitarist and thus ignorant of the world of recording/mastering enginers and that kind of thing..(ui just play my part and go home..then they do their magic LOL) .and trying to get my head around how it it all works smile

Mastering is always done from a completed mix...I converted the mp3s to wav and then went to town.

J

JPowell

JPowell wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...they sound pretty damn good like this i must say. Don't supose you've ever thought of doing "Catcher in the Rye" wink wink

I actually have a fairly clean version of that track...the vocals are just too dang low in the mix, though...it was a rough mix...not even close to the mix of the other 9 tracks.

J

JPowell

JPowell wrote:
rose22 wrote:

jpowell.........i just want to say that the work you did on these songs is amazing. the difference is night and day. it was even more impressive to hear the older leaks with the updated sound. incredible job and thanks.:mosh:

Thanks for your kind words and you're welcome!  Haha...yeah, really though...for me, it was about making it personally enjoyable for my ears to listen to so that I could make a fair judgment of the material.

Super glad there are folks out there enjoying it...the material is worth enjoying...for sure.

J

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Finally listened to them.  Most of the songs still suck, but the sound quality of the suckiness is much better in the remastered tracks.  I left them on my mp3 player in case I want to give them another shot in the future.

Better actually sounds worse to me - they really need to boot Pitman for that song at the very least...let the rockers stay rockers.  There's no reason to overdo that song.

TWAT sounds like a quality song - the only one worthy of the old band out of the 9 songs, and if they could cut Axl out of the last 2 minutes of the song, it would be even better.  I'd love to hear someone that hates BH (not that I'm a huge fan) say anything bad about the guitar at the end of that song.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer