You are not logged in. Please register or login.

JPowell
 Rep: 5 

Re: In regards to 9 song GNR Chinese Democracy leaks

JPowell wrote:

Dunno if anyone will care or not, but contrary to various postings online that reference the newly leaked material, these 9 tracks are most definitely NOT mastered. That however has since been taken care of by yours truly. Of course the source material is nowhere near what I'd use for a normal mastering job, but the nasty, budget quality mp3 sound is a lot more tolerable now, all the songs are the same volume (and to modern volume specs) and the huge silences between tracks has been removed, thus creating a much better song to song flow.

Here's a link for those who haven't already been listening to the tracks in this much cleaned up way:

Heart Of Metal message board thread

File source history:

Antiquiet original mp3 files...Converted to WAV...Mastered...Converted to 320 kbps high quality joint stereo mp3.

I included a 500 x 500 pixel jpeg cover (bicycle cover) for iPod use.

Total file size: 105 MB

...and anyone who thinks that these mastered from far below cd source versions of songs from the hopefully someday to be released Axl & Co record will keep anyone who gives a crap from actually buying it if it ever does get released is a bloomin' idiot.

Regarding the actual music at hand...I gotta say that Axl has somehow managed to make material that sounds like several things all once:

1. The natural followup to Use Your Illusion I & II
2. An Axl Rose solo album
3. Guns N' Roses
4. Not Guns N' Roses

I dunno how he did that, but he did...and the songwriting is truly stellar...gotta give it up to him, because it's an undeniable fact. And the more you listen to the songs the more you realize just how stellar the writing truly is.

Anyway...Enjoy the mastered versions of these tracks...you won't hear 'em sounding better until (or unless) they get officially released.

J

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree that most of the songwriting is spectacular.

I have a question:

Since  you are clearly knowledgeable on this subject, what do you say in regards to those who consider these "rough demos" and nowhere near being a finished product?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cheers man...thanks for all the work you did on the tracks

i agree the mix seeems really bad on these leaks the guiatrs are way too quiet and the bass is way too in your face...axl vocals seem muddy in parts too

anyway my theory was maybe they were a demo created for tommy to refresh on teh bass parts before the tour in 2006....do bands do that kinda thing?

Sky Dog wrote:

yes.......very much so and Tom Zutaut mentioned that EXACT thing in the Classic Rock article.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

You lost me at undeniable fact.  Actually, you lost me when you claimed to be another insider without actually saying it.  5 posts huh?  I'm gonna say nice try just to be ahead of the curve.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

he is jsut stating his opinion Buzz...i dont think hes trying to claim to be a gnr insider of any kind

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You lost me at undeniable fact.  Actually, you lost me when you claimed to be another insider without actually saying it.  5 posts huh?  I'm gonna say nice try just to be ahead of the curve.

He is the guy who mastered the demos after the initial leak. He isn't a bullshitter.

He never claimed to be an insider. He mastered the tracks so they would be better quality. Why the complaints? You preferred the sound of the web stream rips?

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Very nice indeed..  can actually make out the guitars for a change
I see youve named it "If the war (end today)"..     ?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I haven't downloaded whatever he "has" - remastering them isn't going to fix the quality of the songs.  If he can fix that, then I'll be interested.

James

James wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I haven't downloaded whatever he "has" - remastering them isn't going to fix the quality of the songs.  If he can fix that, then I'll be interested.

Your loss then. The difference in quality is noticeable.

Just because you aren't fond of the tracks doesn't mean you have to accuse him of being a "fake insider".

He never claimed such a thing.

He came here to share his opinion on what he did to the original tracks. I didn't know a crucifixion was supposed to take place. I guess someone forgot to send me that memo.

Board footer