You are not logged in. Please register or login.

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

Re: What happend between 04-06

BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

The first leak ever happened. Which was IRS in 2005.

Greatest Hits was released with some controversy.

GN'R were planned to play at Rock In Rio 2004.

That's about it.

All that happened before Buckethead left. Although as James said there was another IRS leak in 2005.

The funny time I started browsing the forums was just after BH left, which is strange because nothing was happening so I'm not sure what kept me occupied. I guess I wasn't use to all the rumours so found them exciting.:laugh:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
estrangedpaul wrote:
BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

The first leak ever happened. Which was IRS in 2005.

Greatest Hits was released with some controversy.

GN'R were planned to play at Rock In Rio 2004.

That's about it.

All that happened before Buckethead left. Although as James said there was another IRS leak in 2005.

The funny time I started browsing the forums was just after BH left, which is strange because nothing was happening so I'm not sure what kept me occupied. I guess I wasn't use to all the rumours so found them exciting.:laugh:

The ONLY thing that made 2005 interesting on the sites is there was basically a ton of really great discussions about everything that had happened up until that point. There was ZERO news or any info coming in, so basically it was an intellectual nostalgic crap fest.

inquiring minds like sic,madagas, evagnraxlrosette(I miss her), and others did amazing breakdowns of all that Axl/Slash legal crap.

The forum members themselves literally kept those big sites from sinking. If you guys, specifically the younger members here, think the news has been bad since 06, too bad I cant send you back to 2005 for a brief spell.:haha:

Madgas is right.Tommy shut his mouth in 04 but in 05 I do think he was the one to first mention interludes. Thats when he also went to Soul Asylum for awhile.

Sky Dog wrote:

neutral:|:|:| I don't feel to well.....

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.tommystinson.com/home.html

now, that makes Gnr's site look current...look at the tour section..:nervous:

James

James wrote:

Thats extremely lame. It would take a nanosecond for those dates to be removed.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

I have a file on that era on another computer. Will take a few weeks to get down and retrieve it. (Yeah, I keep files. Really.) So I'll go by memory.

In short, Brain toured with Tom Waits and Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, Tommy toured with Jesse Malin and Alien Crime Syndicate behind VGH, Dizzy went with Hookers N' Blow. Axl relocated to Curt Cuomo's studio to work on CD some more after the label funding was cut, digital editing and percussion were being put together, the band did get together at least in early '05 for an all-around status conference. Late '04 Axl was seen in the Universal lot, in mid/late '05 he visited the Sanctuary offices. The Welcome to the Jungle: The Very Best of GNR started happening in late '05, along with Slash's allusions in Ross Halfin's blog that there was indeed something going on. Slash visited Axl's house to much later fanfare in October '05 and met with Beta, to whom he confided on how he really thought about VR. Halfin also mentioned a one-off reunion was planned to happen at Download '06.

Merck and Axl drew out the tour plans in early February '06, with no new guitarist still in place - they were still after Bucket.

The Bumblefoot thing started happening in July '04, he was approached and he was almost hired back then. GNR held some auditions and asked Joe Satriani for recommendations. John 5 was another potential candidate. Of course, nothing really substantial happened and BBF was ousted in the fall of '04 because he started talking. Late April '06 he was contacted again, and his good nature is what saved GNR from a disaster, as he let bygones be bygones.

The recording was still unfinished as of early '06, with an estimate of 5-7 studio days for Axl. He finished recording in January '07.

The NYT article is probably the most interesting thing that went public in that era.

---

James, you ever asked Eva to Evo? She's still around HTGTH.

James Lofton wrote:

inquiring minds like sic,madagas, evagnraxlrosette(I miss her), and others did amazing breakdowns of all that Axl/Slash legal crap.

The forum members themselves literally kept those big sites from sinking. If you guys, specifically the younger members here, think the news has been bad since 06, too bad I cant send you back to 2005 for a brief spell.:haha:

Looking back, that was my favorite time at HTGTH. Really had a lot of fun with maddy and the bunch. Guess it tells you something about the place. 16

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

I'd love to see those files. Your posts are fucking amazing.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Just found the file, so you got your wish.

--

- 04/April-May: Axl moves over to Curt Cuomo's studio at Woodland Hills, California.

- 04/07/04: "I was informed by a mutual friend that Axl Rose was possibly interested in a replacement for Buckethead so I expressed my own interest. Mr. Stinson got the word and called me. He didn't really elaborate about the status of GN'R's relationship with  Buckethead at the time but would only say that he wanted to get back with me and would definitely let me know what is up when the timing was right." Ajax Garcia

- 05/04/04: Slash and Duff sue Axl over control of the back catalogue.

- 07/04/04: VH1's Behind the Music episode on GNR states that CD is set for a November 2004 release.
- 07/05/04: GNR management promptly deny that any release date exists.

- 07/06/04: Axl loses the case regarding the release of Hollywood Rose against Cleopatra Records, whom he sued in June.

- 07/16/04: Paul DeCarli's online resume states he has done digital editing for CD. This entry was not yet posted in February.

- 08/05/04: "Brain is putting percussion on the album as I write. It is correct that he has played on Tom Waits album in his spare time but GN'R is his priority." Merck

- 08/25/04: Tommy goes on tour.

- 09/24/04: Brain goes on tour.

- 09/30/04: "I was asked to join GUNS N' ROSES two months ago. [...] Have yet to speak with Axl - spoke to their engineer about when to come out and lay geetar tracks on the album, spoke to their manager about lotsa stuff, their keyboardist Chris, but that's all that's been goin' on so far." - Ron Thal / official site, forum

- 10/10/04: "I heard stuff before I left the States, some of the final mixes, or close to final mixes of a bunch of the stuff we've been working on for the record." Tommy / HTGTH interview

- 10/12/04: GNR management deny that any guitar player has been asked to join the band.

- 10/22/04: GTA: San Andreas is shipped; Axl is one of the voice talents.

- 11/xx/04: Peter van Geel, the organiser of the Graspop Metal Meeting, offered a spot for GNR in the coming summer. The festival would be held on 05/24-26. At the time, van Geel was told that the band was considering whether to tour at the time. / Gigger

- 01/20/05: Tommy mentions that the Philly incident is still in litigation, but hopes for the record to come out in April. South Philly Review.com

- 01/26/05: Axl signs on to Sanctuary Publishing.
- 01/26/05: Tommy says that CD still has "some vocal parts and mixes" unfinished. Pioneer press

- 02/11/05: Tommy's tour wraps up. The band members supposedly gather up for a status conference during the following week. His subsequent touring plans are put on hold by Sanctuary.

- 03/05/05: The most expensive album never made - NY Times
- 03/06/05: Merck writes to NY Times, saying that the band, their two engineers and Axl "have been working on the actual album for the past two years". He  implies the album is set to come out in 2005.

- 04/10/05: IRS leaks in full.

- 04/27/05: Axl is ordered by Cleopatra Records' legal bills concerning the Hollywood Rose suit. After the June '04 trial, Axl re-sued them in November '04, and again in April '05. He lost every time.

- 05/01/05: "When was the last time you saw Axl?" "About a year ago." Sp1at / Brain
- 05/14/05: "When was the last time you contacted Axl?" "3 months ago." Sp1at / Brain

- 05/21/05: John 5 confirms to be "in talks" to tour with GNR. GNRwire

- 06/23/05: "Axl is still finishing up vocals on the record" Sp1at / Fortus

- 07/04/05: "Axl Rose has now moved out of Curt Cuomo's studio and Jason Evigan of the After Midnight Project has moved in." GNRwire

- 08/17/05: Slash and Duff sue Axl over unreceived royalties, spurred by his signing over to Sanctuary Publishing.

- 08/22/05: "ChiDem is not completely finished.  However, it is close." Fortus / e-mail to a fan

- 08/26/05: "the Guns '˜n Roses cd is done and it rocks (not his exact words)" Merck / Ross Halfin blog

- 09/03/05: "I saw [Axl] in the Sanctuary office a month ago [...] he looked great - like Axl The Rock Star again." Classic Rock / John Kalodner

- 09/18/05: Rumors about a song on the Da Vinci Code soundtrack.

- 09/19/05: "I'm told there may be news on the GNR front coming soon" Tommy / Official site

- 10/19/05: Fortus announces he'll tour with Nena for the rest of the year.

- 17/11/05: Welcome to the Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses, a 2-disc 'Best of', is said to have a release date of 12/20/05. Online retailers
- 19/11/05: "[Slash and I] discuss the two versions of Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits Vol II. One is done by Axel's management. Slash says the track listing is good but the politics from Axel's management leave a lot to be desired. The other is done by Universal. Slash tells me he hasn't approved either, so who knows what'll come out." Ross Halfin blog

- 01/10/06: In an interview Tommy mentions he visited the studio in December to record "a quick interlude to another song" (apparently, Richard did the same during that time). Rhono Records Podcast

--

Did this answer the question?

James

James wrote:

James, you ever asked Eva to Evo? She's still around HTGTH.

No, I haven't. After her personal tragedy in 06, she seemed to drift away from the site and stopped posting(for obvious reasons). Not long after, I pretty much stopped posting there as well.

Had no idea she had come back. Should probably shoot a PM her way, at least just to see how she is doing.

Like you, she had total class. Never resorted to insults, cheap shots,etc. when making her points.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:
sic. wrote:

--

- 09/18/05: Rumors about a song on the Da Vinci Code soundtrack.

--

Ahhhh, memories.

Was there any more detail about which song was going to be on this, or whethert the rumour was credible?

Board footer