You are not logged in. Please register or login.

luckylittlelady
 Rep: 20 

Re: Giving a presentation

I applied for a new job last week.  Well, I say a new job, it's actually a more senior position within my current department at work.  Anyhoo, I found out today that I have an interview on Monday and the first part of the interview is to give a 10 minute presentation.

Standing and talking in front of people isn't really an issue for me.  What I will find most difficult I think is collating the information and presenting it in the most concise way.

So I am asking, if anyone has any tips on this kind of thing, let me have 'em.

Failing that you can just wish me luck as I really fucking want this job!

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Are you going to know in advance what the presentation is on?

luckylittlelady

'Credit Management has become exceptionally busy due to the 'credit crunch' which has impacted in all areas of the business.  We have an impending visit by FITCH who will be expecting toughened procedures.  The following factors will be impacting on possessions and losses:

-stagnating housing market leading to lack of equity
-increasing difficukty getting approval for a mortgage/remortgage
-fixed rate mortgage deals ending

You are responsible for managing and having influence over any systems/procedures that will avoid/lessen potential losses.

Prepare a 10 min presentation describing how you plan to take control of mitigating future losses, please consider the following factors:

- working with the borrower
- management of possessions cases
- procedures for timely spotting of potential shortfall cases
- improvements in claiming back losses
- solicitors performance

If anyone manages to stay awake after reading it, that's the brief I've been given.

To be honest, I'd far rather be given something to improvise on at the time :-\

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, I don't know anything about the subject, but I would create an outline hitting on every point that they've asked you to cover.  You may not have time to hit everything, but you want to be prepared for everything.  When you begin the presentation, I would give a quick overview of your thoughts and try to read your audience to see what seems more interesting to them.  If you can pin them down to a couple points, spend most of your time on those subjects explaining in detail your thoughts.  If you can't judge where their focus is, hit as many of the topics as you can briefly focusing on the ones you feel most confident in and comfortable with.  Be sure to always include some specifics so that they know you really know the subject rather than using a few key buzz words that anybody can use.

Generally speaking, these exercises are more about how you handle the situation than they are the substance of what you're saying.  You can't possibly make a full presentation on that issue in 10 minutes and they know that.  Be brief, but specific.  Give detail, but don't linger.  Handle yourself with confidence.  Close by saying something to the effect of "this is a brief synopsis of my thoughts and I'd be happy to address the issues in more detail" to let them know you aren't afraid to tackle the issue more in depth than you can in 10 minutes.

luckylittlelady

Some excellent points there Buzz, thank you.  You've helped already!

I definately agree that these things are more about how you handle the situation.  I can do confidence but I also know I can babble and go off on a tangent

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I would suggest just reading some of Seth Godin's stuff in relation to presentations and go with that. He has a blog that sometimes focuses on that stuff.

luckylittlelady

I've not heard of him but I'll give him a google!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Buzzsaw's right in creating an outline. Also remember to form a beginning, middle & end. Make the beginnning & end 1 minute each & your down to only 8 minutes of stuff. In the beginning, state what you intend to discuss & clarify, then the middle talk about it, (list some facts, people like numbers & statistics) then in the end wrap it up, state a few things you emphasized.

and good luck  22

myillusions
 Rep: 5 

myillusions wrote:

Best of luck with your interview and presentation Monday. I'm sure you'll do well and I hope you get the position Farah. smile

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

try to link one section with another so as you dont just seem to be bouncing from one topic to another

summary of the overal subject beginning with

- working with the borrower

how can the borrower be linked to possesions

- management of possessions cases

how a possession case may lead to a shortfall

- procedures for timely spotting of potential shortfall cases

how to claim back losses from these shortfall cases

- improvements in claiming back losses

how solicitors may help get these shortfalls back

- solicitors performance

tying back to working with the borrower

and then a conclusion

i dont know anythign about this subject but thats a kinda of way i'd approach a presentation with a strict agenda...like Buzz said make sure to cover all topics they request and dont wander off topic...one thing they are obviously looking for is how well you can follow instructions

Good LUCK!!!! 15

Board footer