You are not logged in. Please register or login.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

Re: GNR, Rock Band, the VMAs and 4 albums

NY Giants82 wrote:

Ahh, September... football season starts, Rock Band, maybe the VMAs, maybe CD...

bigbri wrote:

I'd be willing to bet this guy did one of the least unethical things people have done to get us info/leaks. What MSL did was pretty clever and incredible, but it was a dick move if you think about it.

as i was saying to burninghills on AIM last night, chinese democracy LONG AGO became a war between the GNR camp and the fans.

i wish i'd thought to record beta so she could be fired. the contempt and resentment for the hardcore fans is out of control and so it left the fanbase with no choice but to go to war to get songs/info.

e3 was just the latest battle. wink

the band doesn't want us to know or hear anything and for those of you fine with that -- cool. but if you've been enjoying the leaks over the years (both songs & information), nobody should kid themselves about the deceit and manipulation that goes into obtaining those things . . .

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

If GNR are playing VMA's they best have a guitarist sorted. Supposedly Fincks in Cali the same time as the VMA's so it's possible for him to be there. Gotta wonder where he'd find time to rehearse with GNR while still on tour with NIN though?

Good point. I don't think Robin would be involved if a GN'R VMA performance happen though. You can't play for AC Milan and FC Barcelona at the same time, just because one of them don't have a match for some dates. Robin won't be coming and going between the bands in some days. Well, he can rejoin GN'R in 2010 again tongue  But since the 3-guitarist idea is only megalomania, they could do that one VMA song with only 2 players. I also don't think that Robin would be musically needed for a later tour, Fortus can replace him, but it'd be utterly ridiculous to tour behind your 'new' album without the guitarists who wrote that. That'd kill the new band's remaining credibility.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'll say anything is possible. But I'm looking at this logically and I'm not interjecting a possible reunion scenerio into every topic. That gets old after a while. I think a lot of it is meant to try
and undermine the current GNR by some disgruntled old line up fans who don't want CD to be
a success, because failiure of CD, in their minds, will lead to a fantasy reunion.
A reunion is not that simple.

I can see what you're getting at there and respect your opinion. We are in agreement that it is a hell of a lot of "If"s, I was just saying, well, you never know, it ain't always over till its over kinda thing.

While I would love to see a reunion as I believe musically Slash and Axl compliment each other to perfection in a way that is like 1 in 1000, my interest in that does not equate to me wanting CD to fail. Actually i'm a huge damn fan of the leaks and CD era songs.

Which is why for me this is always going to be a mixed senerio now. I'll always miss slash on the guitar in the AFD/UYI  part of the set, but a setlist with none of the CD era material would always seem lacking to me now too. So i'll pretty much be impossible to please from now on. Unless we get my day-dream senario with bumble+Slash (or bucket+Slash but that's less likely - as it's two reunion bridges to cross) where slash plays rhythm for BBF on the CD era songs, and BBF plays rhythm for slash on the old material. It would NEVER hapen though I guess!!!! Too much to ask for!

Anyway so although I do love Slash, I'm no hater of the CD era tunes. I can see your viewpoint though as perhaps some people who bring up reunions are. I think the other reason people talk about it though is because Axl doesn't seem able to present a viable sustainable GNR line up. I'm not knocking the music...but the reality is the band is always in flux...Yes there were some casulties in the old days, like steven and izzy. But in the UYI era you could say who was in the band for sure. That's not how its been since 2000....Huge, Brain, Robin...who knows if they are even gone or not...we know bucket is gone...I think there would be less calls for reunions if we'd been given a firm GNR line up. With no reunions of any kind (old band or 2001 era band) then what you have will be a tour line up to support the new album of people who not only didn't play on AFD, Lies or UYI but mostly didn't play on CD too.

Much as I think if Scott is going to be as annoying as Axl to Slash - why wouldn't he go back to Axl.  I think the same is true for Axl - if everyone who joins the band end up quitting, eventually maybe he'd consider fixing some of the old relationships who he knows he writes good stuff with instead of auditioning GNR relacments round #6

Anyway...sorry i derailed the thread!

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

FIFTH

As I said before, if Axl had to abandon what he's done with this band it would be an admission
of failure, and he would spite himself and never sing again before he admitted he couldn't make
it with his band and his vision.

Agreed - IF he did it with no album. What if he releases 4 albums this year in one hit. Thus equaling the ENTIRE output of the old band!!! That's no failure!!! Once he has done that - what then? Go hire new people to replace robin and record a new album? Just as easy to call slash. Musically there are some differences...but at least 50% of the leaks we have could have been done by the old band...theres still a hell of a lot of similarities for them to find common ground.

Exactly. Releasing four albums in one go basically kills the albums' chances of reaching any sort of commercial success (in numbers), but allows him to get all the praise from the reviewers. Not all of them will be positive, but a lot of them will be (just like when CB came out). He gets the praise, proving he can do it by himself (and putting out as much material as Slash & Duff have individually or with their own projects - in one go).

There is no new band (no, I don't think BH would come back), and the rest of misterID's claims are all just assumptions any way.

By the way: Axl is potentially the only one who needs the money, the others would be in it for the fame and glamour.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think - based on the first VR album sales - there are at least 1,5 million hardcore GN'R fans, who'd buy the album without hearing a tone. Since they're hardcore fans, 1 million can buy all the 4 discs, or a 4-disc set. It's a strong possibility, I think. That's 1,000,000*4* $15 = 60 million bucks. Pretty good with close to zero promotion needed. They can make at least $ 30 million, even with a 4-disc box set. It'd still regain the money, with some profit, and without any risk. I still think that the guy who were caught misunderstood some info, and maybe Axl really has 4 albums ready, but it won't come out at the same time. But even if they do, it's not that crazy from the financial and fame point of view. Axl isn't interested in either money or fame, of course (if we can believe in Merck's words, who was proved to be a liar later). tongue

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...and releasing 4 at once would not only upstage the UYI "event" - but it would maximise the press coverage to an insane level and I think kinda boost things. Like if its one CD and 12 songs - even if the songs are all kickass the review is going to be "good songs..but was it worth a 15 year wait for an hour of music?" - if he releases like 45 songs the review will be more like "crazy axl...finally releaes his life's work...". I think he'd come off better.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...and releasing 4 at once would not only upstage the UYI "event" - but it would maximise the press coverage to an insane level and I think kinda boost things. Like if its one CD and 12 songs - even if the songs are all kickass the review is going to be "good songs..but was it worth a 15 year wait for an hour of music?" - if he releases like 45 songs the review will be more like "crazy axl...finally releaes his life's work...". I think he'd come off better.

Exactly. If this is true, I think it is genious. Even with the songs that have leaked, we've all heard people say, was this worth the wait? Man if throws 4 albums out at once, that would shut most up quickly.

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah...it wouldn't sell too much, yet enouh to get the money back, and the CD saga would go to the history as a crazy, but successful project...while a 1-disc album with 13 songs (6-9 known years before) would kill Axl's legacy and mystery and could only tank (with mostly hc fan support). Although it'd be very cynic that after years of pissing to the fans, we crazy fuckers would save Axl's ass and ego 16

Board footer