You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: The X-FILES Thread

PaSnow wrote:

I thought it was ok. I agree with BigBri that it seemed they were trying to do too much with it. Had its ups & downs, her Mom dying tho ended up being a bit rushed, then she 'goes back to work'?!!

AtariLegend wrote:

Just watched it after being annoyed at the previous episodes. I thought it was better than the previous episodes by default I also would have liked if they excluded Scully mother's death from it. It took time away from the mystery which was fairly unsatisfying. It could have been a fairly cool episode.

One thing though, one of the flashbacks was to "The Truth" aka the final episode of the original run which they ret-conned at the start of this season. Ugh, just there to remind me that the story I waiting years for as a fan (X Files 2012 movie) never happened.

AtariLegend wrote:

If there wasn't only one episode left and that was in the middle of a full season run, I'd give up on this show after that episode.

Ridiculously modernized to feel like one of those typical teen shows that rely on silliness and random "heart felt moments" for character development. I was amused the first time Mulder suggested he should take drugs, but that whole hallucination scene is completely out of place.

The music playing in the background, look of the show and that final shot of the zooming out into space just ugh.

Can't believe some critics are giving them a free pass on the stereotype that not all Muslims are terrorists, but most are and if they aren't... they're victims *see the mother*.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

You are one hard dude to please.

AtariLegend wrote:

I have every episode on DVD. I grew up watching the show.

It is not the same show it was in 94.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

I have every episode on DVD. I grew up watching the show.

It is not the same show it was in 94.

Me too. Watched the whole series again last year to prepare.

It's not that far off from the show it was in 94.

johndivney wrote:

Bit too cutesy for my liking. Soundtrack, Tom waits excepted, really grated & yea that shot at the end didn't look great.

Also was dismayed at the portrayal of Muslims. Oh well..

I agree w/bro in that I don't think it's that far removed from the show it was - it's just when it does step out of character it's especially jarring, & disappointing given the relative underwhelming nature of the episode(s). It's like they're at one time both trying to be restrained but also try new things instead of just pumping out the winning formula for 6 gold episodes.

Still a billion times better than the walking dead tho.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

It was another average episode for me.  I hated the hallucination scene.  Thankfully, this short season is ending next week.  I'm just not entertained by the show (bits and pieces yes) for some reason.  When I finished watching this I just thought it was a waste of time.  The criticisms above are accurate--it seems like they are trying to shoehorn a whole bunch of stuff into a 45-50 minute episode and it just doesn't work.

The only episode I really enjoyed was the second one "Founder's Mutation" and that one focused on the main story/mystery for the most part.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

I don't understand what the point was of the X-Files people being involved with a straightforward terrorist attack. There was no sci-fi element here other than Mulder's hallucination where he talked to the terrorist. Guess we'll find out soon enough in the final episode if this 45 minutes was worth it. Felt like a wasted episode given how short the season is.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

TBH, I think the reason the show was brought back in the first place was just to use it as a vehicle to promote other new shows.  With American Idol DOA they likely have low ratings where a few years ago it was a powerhouse, PLUS they need to fill in 3-4 hours a week next year, when it's off the air.  That's 3 solid 1 hour shows, whereas AI was just some crap edited together with little scripting, 4 hosts on salary, and a bunch of unpaid auditioners.  That's a pretty cheap & easy formula. Whereas replacing that time with expensive 1 hour dramas where, of the 3 they'll be lucky if 2 are succesful.

Anyway, I think they're pushing this Lucifer & Gotham alot during it. Any word if they bring it back for a few eps next year? 

Ultimately, it's been so-so for me. Glad to see a few more eps, but ultimately not sure it needed to be brought back.

Board footer