You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: Perfect

Will wrote:

< Tommy Stinson - Perfect

"Since the 'Mats broke up, I really wanted to have another band," muses Tommy Stinson. "That's what made Bash And Pop fizzle - it never turned into a real band."

It's August of '95 and Tommy has finally found the symbiotic unit he's strived for, Perfect. This collaborative effort is especially successful onstage because even though Tommy is an engaging frontman, each member is a vital part of the show with his own personality and charm. It's obvious from the way all four members feed off each others' manic energy that Perfect is not a one-man solo project.

perf2s.jpgperf4s.jpgperf5s.jpg

Besides capturing that elusive magic of being in a true band, Tommy also came full circle in another way, by rejoining forces with Peter Jesperson - the man who originally signed and managed the Replacements.

"We had sort of drifted apart for awhile, and it wasn't until my brother's funeral that I saw Peter, and I thought, life's too short to be losing great friends." Soon after this fateful meeting Peter coincidentally moved to Perfect's home base of Los Angeles, where he saw them play live and was understandably impressed; before long, plans were underway for Peter's label Medium Cool to release Perfect's debut E.P., When Squirrels Play Chicken.

Following the EP, a full length Perfect album entitled "Seven Days A Week" was turned in and in a classic case of record label fumbling, the album was shelved and Perfect disbanded. The album is eventually released by Rykodisc under the name "Once, Twice, Three Times A Maybe", with the exclusion of the song "Peg Song" which surfaced years earlier on bootleg (along with the rest of the album).

* Pictures courtesy of NYTrash. Coney Island High NY Music Festival, July 16 1997

Board footer