You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

Slashisvr wrote:

i thought aint life grand was a solid album, not great, but beats libertad anyday of the week

Sky Dog wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I can still question their creative ability. Messages is good, not great, but being surrounded by utter crap it stands out. I don't think it's that creative. Clearly, neither did they, or it would've been on the album. Even if it was really really good and super-original, one song in the past how many years for these guys? Slash's last great moment was 13 years ago, Duff's, well I don't know Duff well but nothing he's done in VR touches his Guns work. Loaded, judging from those demos that got out, isn't that good either.

I just don't understand how people can like Libertad. But that's me. Me and the record-buying public. Without a lead singer to REALLY push them (and push Sorum and Kushner out the door) I don't want VR.

Wow, Commy just summed it up for me as well. Except, outside of a few nice solos, I don't think Slash has done anything beyond mediocre since 1991. Duff's stuff is pretty bad as well. sad Now, the onion is that I don't think Axl would have helped that much unless Izzy was involved. In the end, I think Slash needs a songwriting guitar player to work with.....a guy who Slash has to compliment. Slash, to me, is at his best when working off someone else's riff or idea. It forces him to go out of his "box".:slash: I still love his solos and tone, but his generic, Page/Perry riff work gets old.

ps for example, Double Talkin Jive just came up on my ipod, great Slash guitar based on an Izzy idea and riff...Brownstone, etc etc etc

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

First time i think Dave's been mentioned as still being in the band.  Oh well...

I wonder if they realize the world isn't really waiting around for another VR album.  Libertad grew tiring enough, and now they expect the public to enjoy a new one?  Nah.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Didn't they say a while ago that they were going to change the band name?

Maybe they're trying to trick the public when the time comes for a new CD.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

The world isn't waiting for any album. Surprise: only a few internet nerds care about Axl's neverending project. Dozens buy Izzy's or Duff's records. Nobody's interested inm usic as much as we were before the downloading era. Now you can get anything in a second. But I still think that the more Slash the better, so I'm waiting for the next VR album (not as much as I wanna hear his solo album though). BTW I think Slash was the Gunner who did the most memorable things since 1991 and I count those leaks, too. For me any song on 5 O'Clock, or half of ALG beats everything the others' done (except TWAT). Long live 21 and bring back the Snakepit wonder.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah i'm waiting for a new VR album too. smile I'll be interested to see what they do post Scott..as it seems the other stuff was heavily talored to his prefrences. I don't get why people always diss slash post 1991 when his playing on IFOS is pretty much better than it was in GNR...maybe not the overall songs..but Slash's work is.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
madagas wrote:

outside of a few nice solos, I don't think Slash has done anything beyond mediocre since 1991.

I'm friggin' sorry, but that's the biggest bullcrap I've ever read.

I mean, IFOCS blows every Axl demo out of the water, every single one of them. My gf cringes each and every time a nuGNR demo comes up on the car stereo, literally (to quote her: "Axl's vocals are annoying and the songs are boring"). Stop pretending as if it's the best thing since sliced bread, it isn't. What the rest of the boys have put out in the mean time is miles and miles beyond what Axl has done.

See, I wouldn't mind the endless waiting if the result was any good, but none of what we've heard up until now can even hold a candle to some of Slash's songs in the past 17 years. I tried soooooo hard to like this stuff, I actually used to be an Axlite (I actually fooled myself into thinkinh Oh My God was any good), but that ship has sailed long ago.

Neither Can I, Beggars, Dime Store Rock, Take It Away, Always On The Run, Serial Killer, Landslide, Big Machine, Slither, Fall To Pieces, Get Out The Door, Messages, Don't Drop That Dime, ...

all way better that any of the nuGNR demo's. "Is it comparison time yet" was the title of a post on the GNR forum here when the three new songs leaked. I'd say no, give Axl another decade or two to stop him from looking stupid.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm growing increasingly fed up with the anti-Slash brigade on here.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

^ I disagree with your dislike of the leaks as I enjoy them, and find Axl's lyrics facinating and his melodies haunting. However I strongly agree that it's madness to say Slash hasn't done anything of worth since GNR.
Some of his best peformances are outside of GNR. Bottom line - Axl and Slash write pretty different styles of music these days - but they both fucking kick ass - then and now.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ I disagree with your dislike of the leaks as I enjoy them, and find Axl's lyrics facinating and his melodies haunting. However I strongly agree that it's madness to say Slash hasn't done anything of worth since GNR.
Some of his best peformances are outside of GNR. Bottom line - Axl and Slash write pretty different styles of music these days - but they both fucking kick ass - then and now.

With all due respect, but I honestly think that's the buzz and excitement of the leaks and the prospect of a new GNR album talking. The new stuff has some hooks, some interesting bits, I'll give you that. But I think you're elevating it beyond what it is.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
TheMole wrote:

With all due respect, but I honestly think that's the buzz and excitement of the leaks and the prospect of a new GNR album talking. The new stuff has some hooks, some interesting bits, I'll give you that. But I think you're elevating it beyond what it is.

Perhaps...but then this is always going to be one of those areas where people disagree.

I don't think the leaks are the best material i've ever heard from Axl. But its still of a good standard. Likewise I don't think Slash's playing on Lenny Kravitz's "Fields of Joy" is the best thing he's every played. But its still of a good standard. That's my point..they're both great musicans who made magic together inside of GNR, and outside of GNR - while perhaps not hitting the same highs due to the absence of the other - still clearly demonstrate their awesome talents.

My test for the leaks is as follows:

Step 1: Take the 3 songs you consider "worst" off UYI 1+2 (I wont list names because one thing I know is that everyone has different concepts of what/if any the 'filler' tracks are).

Step 2: Take the 3 songs you consider "best" of the leaks. (Again..it seems there is no consensus among fans as to what this is...some love a song some hate it..so choose your own).

Step 3: Make a new verison of UYI 1+2 with the 3 tracks you selected in  step 2 substituted into the places of the tracks you picked in Step 1.

Step 4: Listen to it back. Is the new album drasticly worse or better than it was before? My guess is around about the same, and possibily better depending on how much you dislike the songs in step 1.

My point is that while the standard most people have is the BEST tracks from GNR....in reality not every song any musican records is going to be their best tune...and while I like pretty much every GNR track for some reason or another...some are clearly better than others to me. I feel that what my test shows is that if the best of the leaks is at least on par with the worst of the old stuff....then there is definate potential for the album to be good - when you consider that the leaks are unmastered and unfinished.

I mean old gnr is a magic that may never be repeated. But I feel the leaks show CD has a chance at being a decent stand alone album, just as in my opinion, Slash's solo work outside of GNR is descent. Whenever I hear either of them without the other I miss the other one - but they still have enough talent to survive on their own for sure smile

Board footer