You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

faldor wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Very few people cared about VR to begin with.

Fixed 1913

They were pretty successful though. tongue

They were with their debut.  And why wouldn't they be?  They had a built in audience with both GNR and STP fans.  There was a lot of buildup, good promotion, public appearances, a solid lead single and a catchy ballad to follow it up.  It had all the ingredients for success.  The followup didn't do as well as the novelty had worn off. 

I'd still be interested in VR if they reform someday, but not as interested as I was back in 2003.  That ship has sailed for me.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

That sounds awfully familiar...except for no STP fans, the promotion and solid lead single and catchy ballad to follow it up and public appearances - take that away and you have GnR.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GN'R & STP fans were about the only ones who did care in 2003/04.

They had a few crossover hits, like Set Me Free, Slither, Fall To Pieces.. and people heard them, liked them, and moved on.

Libertad, even if you are it's BIGGEST fan, you can agree there's no hit song on there. Same with CD. Maybe in 1999-2002 range, you could've dropped CD & Better with some success, but the ship sailed.

Zutaut said it, "where's the hit song?" You need a hit to sell a record, period. Contraband had a few, and that's why it did what it did. Libertad had none, CD had none, or was at least too late to the party.

Who gives a shit about what's "relevant" or not as long as you personally like it...

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That sounds awfully familiar...except for no STP fans, the promotion and solid lead single and catchy ballad to follow it up and public appearances - take that away and you have GnR.

So basically it's not all familiar except for a built in fanbase of GNR fans, of which many had been lost over the years.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

That said, VR didn't live up to the sum of it's parts.  I was super excited about the parts coming (back) together.  Then they put out 2 albums that were ok, pretty good I guess, but it didn't live up to where those  parts should have put it in my mind.

Yeah that's why I'm hanging out for another record. I think scott took them off the path I'd hoped for. Which isn't to bash scott, I like his STP songs, and I liked some of the songs he wrote for VR. He's great with catchy hooks and stuff. But I do feel his style pushed the sound away from big slash solos and in a certain direction. I'd like to see what happens with someone else.

As the key ingredients to make something killer are there.

Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

Who gives a shit about what's "relevant" or not as long as you personally like it...

Couldn't agree with this more. I also think relevance is a load of bullshit, I mean AC/DC is playing 3 sold out shows in my town next year, and they get respect from people these days for sticking to what they do best.

In my mind this whole relevance thing is about trying to be a poser or keeping up with the jones and the pop market, which is a young person's game.

I think VR and GNR should just keep doing what they want to do, and to hell the market and what music is suposed to sound like. Ironicly, i think that move would also guarentee sales in the end, as people will respond to the individuality of it.

Axlin08 wrote:

Libertad, even if you are it's BIGGEST fan, you can agree there's no hit song on there.

I think very poor single choice did not aid libertad. I think "let it roll" is a kickass song, it's kind of plesently retro, snappy short, rock enough to get you moving, but abrupt so that it's not too over the top for non-rock fans. That's a song I think could have done ok. Cos it's retro but not in a way that gets boring.
I also think "She Mine" and "Get out the Door" had potential to be good singles.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah that's why I'm hanging out for another record. I think scott took them off the path I'd hoped for. Which isn't to bash scott, I like his STP songs, and I liked some of the songs he wrote for VR. He's great with catchy hooks and stuff. But I do feel his style pushed the sound away from big slash solos and in a certain direction. I'd like to see what happens with someone else.

As the key ingredients to make something killer are there.

The key ingredient that I think they're missing is that really good songwriter.  I like Loaded and Slash's solo efforts quite a bit, but to me, what VR is missing (go figure) is what Izzy and Axl were best at.

monkeychow wrote:

Couldn't agree with this more. I also think relevance is a load of bullshit, I mean AC/DC is playing 3 sold out shows in my town next year, and they get respect from people these days for sticking to what they do best.

In my mind this whole relevance thing is about trying to be a poser or keeping up with the jones and the pop market, which is a young person's game.

I agree with what you guys are saying, hardly anything I listen to is popular right now.  That said, these guys got used to being in the spotlight, and as much as they say it, they wouldn't be as happy as they say playing clubs instead of stadiums.

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Libertad, even if you are it's BIGGEST fan, you can agree there's no hit song on there.

I think very poor single choice did not aid libertad. I think "let it roll" is a kickass song, it's kind of plesently retro, snappy short, rock enough to get you moving, but abrupt so that it's not too over the top for non-rock fans. That's a song I think could have done ok. Cos it's retro but not in a way that gets boring.
I also think "She Mine" and "Get out the Door" had potential to be good singles.

Fact of the matter is, Rick Rubin told them to keep writing, and they didn't want to work his way.  They were in a hurry.  They may have sensed things wouldn't work out within the band if it took longer, I don't know.  Rick Rubin is one of those guys though, if he says something about your music, he's probably right.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Because if the music is not relevant, it doesn't sell on a mass level.

Guess what that means? Interest declines.

Guess what that means? All those future albums you'd like to hear, will NEVER see the light of day, because no one will financially back them for future efforts.

THAT's why it needs to be at least 'somewhat' relevant.

Other than that... I really don't give a shit what everyone thinks. To this day, i'm still defending CD to absolute laughter.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

There's no official announcement regarding the singer to be made in the immediate future, because it would be a PR disaster. What'd Slash say anyway - 'Yeah, this dude'll sing for us next year, when we'll start working on the next album, will tour with him in two years...'?

Snakepit 3 (in lack of a better term) will run its course for about a year. Loaded will likely fold at one point during that time and Duff may take some time off to focus on family and other activities.

VR is still without a record deal, at the moment. All eyes are now on Slash to go out and deliver, so that the Libertad disappointment can be washed down and his band might be regarded as a financially viable option again. This requires visibility from Slash's part, strong demos and a convincing frontman.

It's a package VR are currently shying away from presenting and it certainly takes for everyone in the band to commit themselves into it more fully. In the present situation, none of that's obviously happening, which is why I'm not blaming them for keeping the band alive in articles, mainly.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Great Analysis of the situation.

It just gets frustrating from a fan point of view when you are looking at a 1 to 2 year window for anything to happen at a minimum.

I worry because these guys arn't spring chickens. Not that i give a shit for populatirty based on age, but like how many years do they have before 20 years of drug abuse catches up with them. I don't think i've ever seen slash without a smoke in his mouth....Ok that's morbid of me and prob just fuelled because I've seen a lot of people get sick recently.

Anyway, if this slash album is a success, which it ought to be based on the number of interesting guest stars, and if slash pulls out some of his best work - he's so impressive on guitar when he really hits the sweet spot - then I guess that could be the bargening chip VR needs to really get launched.

like it was a band built on "We're 3/5 of GNR joined with the voice of STP", if slash builds his castle even higher in the media - maybe they can just run with "We're slash's band baby" without having an established front man as a singer. But then i'm not sure - at the end of the day a band needs a dynamic front man to kick ass. But its all interesting to see what happens.

I'm just sure slash and duff can cook up some good shit together still...

Board footer