You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

metallex78 wrote:

I thought Contraband was pretty aggresive hard rock, but they really steered away from that on Libertad. Glad to hear they wanna get back on track in that style again!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah actually contraband was a lot more agressive...but even that stayed away from the solos - like songs like Superhuman had that kinda STP style - hook-chorus-repeat feel to them instead of a blazing outtro solo and stuff. Although I like that contraband had some balls live! Be good if they amp it up again too!

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Yeah, people who dis Contrband dis themselves, there was a lot of rocking to be had on that album.

Anyone know why VR went a bit different with Libertad?

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Well on contrband most of the riffs were around pre-scott - he then just worked on the song structures to make them work for him (which i'd guess ment no solos and lots of hook repeats) - I got the impression libertad was more of the ideas that scot wanted to sing. I read an interview where they said they each brought something to the album and that most of the songs wern't worked on as a group...and i think you can hear who wrote most of the songs in the song - like you can tell the ones that have obvious slash riffs to them...but i got the impression with VR overall that everything functioned to appease scott.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I thought Superhuman was more like Alice in Chains heavy riffing, which I quite liked. Even Slither is quite a heavy riff rocker. And there was still plenty of soloing on there too, well, enough to keep me happy anyway. Contraband was a good step in that it was still rocking while giving them a modern edge, which I what I think works best for VR so they stay kinda relevant.

Libertad while having some moments here and there was very pop-sounding, and much more like an STP album.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Got this from htgth.

John Corabi Declines Velvet Revolver Audition

John Corabi is interviewed on the Classic Metal Show...the VR mention is at 11:30.

Sun, 07 Sep 2008

He says that VR sent him some songs and asked him to come into the studio to record vocals....as great as the music was, at this point, he declined because he didn't want to take another established lead vocalists spot and be compared to Scott Weiland. He just wrote the guys a letter 4-5 days ago and declined.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/theclassicmetalshow

Damn shame, I reckon he would've been an awesome frontman for VR.
And I guess if VR actually seeked him out for an audition, they do intend on going in a heavier rock direction.

Sky Dog wrote:

maybe Dizzy could be the frontman....

Sky Dog wrote:

ps....they need to drop this crap.....it's over. End of discussion. Either go back for a proper Gnr reunion or do something else.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

ps....they need to drop this crap.....it's over. End of discussion. Either go back for a proper Gnr reunion or do something else.

I agree. Its obvious that its not going anywhere. Just do solo shit until reunion time. Slash could milk a solo record for 2 years.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:
madagas wrote:

Not to turn this into a VR vs GNR thing, but you could easily say that about GNR too, I mean bucket is gone, Robin is now gone...and yet most of us are still keen to hear what Axl will do with another lineup.

Slash and Duff and Matt have good chemestry....sure i'd love to see them play with Axl again...but I'll take them experimenting with other singers over going back to endless shortlived solo efforts.

Board footer