You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Most Downloads for songs prior to the year 2000

Neemo wrote:

its definately the wayu of the future and it is hurtign the sales of the older bands albums if they are not getting a cut of  those sales for sure

i dont think you are far off the mark madagas 22

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Most Downloads for songs prior to the year 2000

Aussie wrote:
madagas wrote:

I am just talking to myself at this point.:laugh:

in regards to digital downloads, I now firmly believe part of the hangup in Gnr negotiations is over royalty rates due to digital downloading. I would not be suprised if Axl was including the prior catalog in these discussions. As you can see from this article, older artists are starting to sue over royalty issues from downloads because they were not addressed when the original contracts were written.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003837855

ive queried some people on the digital download thing and to what point old contracts actually address this issue, given some of them may have been written before downloads started being used as a legitimate method of selling music.

Apparently your vanialla record industry contract has a clause in it that talks about "all mediums both known and unkown".  So just like when CD's suddenly took over from vinyl, the artists didn't miss out as it was already addressed in the contract.  I see the same happening with digital downloads.

Now admittedly given the face of music distribution has changed so much (Rock Band, GH etc) I could possibly see this as a bit of a sticking point in regards to rates etc, but I believe even old contracts bascially still provide guidance on the issue (although the artist may not be happy with how it's now panned out for them it's nonetheless usually addressed in the existing contracts).

Board footer