You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Most Downloads for songs prior to the year 2000

Sky Dog wrote:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_ … den-oldies

and you wonder why Axl still plays afd material.....

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

This is some poor journalism yet again.  SCOM was released after Jungle.  Jungle was their breakthrough hit, not the other way around. 

Can't believe Sheryl Crow won a grammy for destroying SCOM.  17

To answer your post:  I don't wonder why Axl plays AFD during shows.  AFD is a monster and one of the greatest albums of all time.  As you can see, this list is only 10 songs, and only 2 of the songs on there are from AFD.  So why play the other 10? 

I think all he should play from AFD are the big hits, SCOM, Jungle, and PC.  Jungle shouldn't be an opener either, CD should be.  I'm fine with PC as the encore.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Didn't it go Jungle, SCOM, then Jungle again when SCOM became a hit?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Right, Jungle wasn't a hit until after SCOM. Jungle, SCOM, then Jungle again.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Another thing i noticed...

This is downloads PRIOR to 2000.  This is no way reflects what the people of 2006-2008 want to hear.

Sky Dog wrote:

dude, you need to get a grip and read the first part of the fucking list. Those ten songs are the most downloaded songs EVER in the Nielsen Soundscan era which were RECORDED before 2000....THERE WERE NO DIGITAL DOWNLOADS PRIOR TO 2000. Considering digital downloads have only been around for a few years and have only been tracked for a few years, that shows you how insanely popular AFD and those two particular songs are STILL TODAY. That means people still want to hear them today if they are currently downloading them. I was just pointing out a fact and not debating anything to do with the setlist or anything else.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Digital downloading started before 2000, that's for sure. 

Your title threw me off, i only looked at the list, didn't bother to read the article.

Sky Dog wrote:

digital downloading wasn't tracked by Nielsen/Soundscan until the last few years. The list shows you the most PAID for downloads since they started tracking it and keeping an actual chart of the top 200 paid for downloaded songs of all time. With all music included from all years SCOM is ranked 137th most downloaded song ever and Jungle was 172.:peace: looks like they started in 2003.....

Nielsen Soundscan to report digital download music sales
Friday, 4 July 2003
Press release

Nielsen SoundScan, has announced that effective July 2nd it will begin reporting permanent digital music downloads that are sold through online services including Apple, Pressplay, Listen.com, MusicNet and Liquid Audio.

Upon the anticipated re-launch of the Napster service, they will also provide digital download data to Nielsen SoundScan. This data as tracked by Nielsen SoundScan will enable the recording and entertainment industries to measure and monitor sales of digital music.

Digital downloads will be reported under the "Non-Traditional" Nielsen SoundScan category that compiles Internet, mail order and concert venue sales. Despite total overall CD sales in 2002 being down 8.7%, the Non-Traditional category segment has shown a dramatic increase in sales increasing from 2.2 million sales in 1997 to more then 22 million in 2002. Additionally, sales of albums via Internet retailers accounted for 79% of all Non-Traditional sales in 2002.

Digital download sales of recorded albums and singles will be included in the Nielsen SoundScan album and singles sales charts respectively. Nielsen SoundScan will also debut a digital download tracks chart defined as songs purchased individually or as part of a retailer-defined bundle. These tracks may come from an album, a single, or a standalone recording.

"We've been closely watching the explosion of online music, and the various formats that are driving it," said Rob Sisco, president Nielsen Music, and COO Nielsen Entertainment East Coast Operations. "'Purchasing digital downloads has proven to be a viable emerging technology among a rapidly growing segment of music fans. Nielsen SoundScan has worked diligently to develop the research matrices necessary for our clients to monitor this exciting trend."

Sky Dog wrote:

Highest selling artists of the soundscan era (91 TO 08) in the US ....NO GNR.

According to Paul Grein of Yahoo! Music's "Chart Watch", METALLICA is in fifth place on Nielsen SoundScan's list of top-selling album artists, with cumulative sales of 48,867,000 in the United States since the scanning service set up shop in May 1991. They'll hit the 50 million mark around the summer of 2009.

The top 10 artists in Nielsen SoundScan history are, in order:

01. GARTH BROOKS: 67,774,000
02. THE BEATLES: 56,110,000
03. MARIAH CAREY: 50,004,000
04. CELINE DION: 49,951,000
05. METALLICA: 48,867,000
06. GEORGE STRAIT: 39,403,000
07. TIM MCGRAW: 36,657,000
08. ALAN JACKSON: 35,654,000
09. PINK FLOYD: 34,665,000
10. SHANIA TWAIN: 33,591,000

Sky Dog wrote:

I am just talking to myself at this point.:laugh:

in regards to digital downloads, I now firmly believe part of the hangup in Gnr negotiations is over royalty rates due to digital downloading. I would not be suprised if Axl was including the prior catalog in these discussions. As you can see from this article, older artists are starting to sue over royalty issues from downloads because they were not addressed when the original contracts were written.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003837855

Board footer