You are not logged in. Please register or login.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

Re: "Chicken Dinner" Shackler's Revenge Leak

buzzsaw wrote:
war wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

You're right - they will just change the station.  No need to analyze, just hit a button when a song you don't like comes on.  I guarantee you that there will be a lot of people that don't make it through the first verse.  The only chance of them listening beyond that is if they want to analyze it, otherwise they'll either change the station or think about something else until the next song comes on.

change the station? first of all, this will be played mostly on modern rock stations.  usually there is only one station like that to choose from. MOST people that listen to rock listen mostly to rock and are not gonna change the station to rap or country because they just can't make it through this short song.

secondly, how many poeople at that point are hating the song enough to change it anwyays. whether we like it or not is opinion but this song is obviously fluid enough to avoid annoying people who are rock fans but not into this particular song.

again, you have your opinion, and you are entitled to that but gnr is not trying to impress you - they are trying to impress the masses as much as possible and the people that have heard this song, excluding the really bitter and pathetic die hards that will never be impressed no matter what axl does without slash, are loving this song at about 90 percent and i am reading multiple comments from them saying how "catchy" it is and how awesome it is so i think this song will do well as a single, provided they promote it properly.

My point in every post is that this will never be a commercial success.  If it's only on modern rock stations, the album will fail.  Songs like this will never hit top 40, and therfore the album cannot rely on this song to launch it.  They need to have a song that will appeal to the masses.

GnR better be trying to impress me.  Not only have I been a fan since the first time I heard the band, despite not liking most of what I've heard so far, I'm STILL willing to give it a chance.  My musical tastes are a lot closer to the audience that you seem to think they need to attract, so if I don't like it, it's probably safe the general public's response is going to be the same.  Damn right they need to be trying to impress me.

Let me give you a big middle finger for the bolded part.  You don't know me and you don't know anything about me.  Too many fucking idiots think they know people based on what they write on the internet...you don't have a fucking clue.  Someone needs to provide balance to the people that are willing to cream all over anything Axl touches.  I provide a necessary dose of reality when it's needed.

I've been critical of everybody from Slash, Axl, and everybody in between when it's warranted.  I've also said good things about all those people when it's deserved.  Bitterness left years ago.  Reality can look pretty bitter when it doesn't agree with your point of view and won't back down.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Lets tone down on the insults please.

That would have been a really good post had you toned that down.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Even if a song like The Blues would chart better than Shackler's I'd still want Shacklers to be the first single, if only to prove that Axl has moved on musically and still has the same hard-rock edge that most other artists have lost. This GNR track is respectable and serious, even if it isn't primed for huge success (I think it'll be a radio success).

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

My point in every post is that this will never be a commercial success.  If it's only on modern rock stations, the album will fail.  Songs like this will never hit top 40, and therfore the album cannot rely on this song to launch it.  They need to have a song that will appeal to the masses.

Why? AFD went over well because rock was in. It was what loads of people listened to and it was the kinda thing that appeared in the top 40. Now it isn't. GN'R shouldn't conform and try to fit into something just to get in the top 40. They should just release what they think is a good record of the material they wanted to do. Yeah i decided to refer to Axl as they.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Why? AFD went over well because rock was in. It was what loads of people listened to and it was the kinda thing that appeared in the top 40. Now it isn't. GN'R shouldn't conform and try to fit into something just to get in the top 40. They should just release what they think is a good record of the material they wanted to do. Yeah i decided to refer to Axl as they.

That's not what I said. 

Think it through.  Axl has always looked for acceptance despite his efforts to appear otherwise.  Works on album off and on for over a decade.  Changes musicians as often as a homeless person changes underwear.  Puts out great album, but the single choices are so bad that few hear the whole album.  Axl is done and either goes into hiding or a money grab reunion tour happens to pay back the money he still owes because the album flopped.  Is that what you want?

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

That's not what I said. 

Think it through.  Axl has always looked for acceptance despite his efforts to appear otherwise.  Works on album off and on for over a decade.  Changes musicians as often as a homeless person changes underwear.  Puts out great album, but the single choices are so bad that few hear the whole album.  Axl is done and either goes into hiding or a money grab reunion tour happens to pay back the money he still owes because the album flopped.  Is that what you want?

So then Axl HAS to release TOP 40 material and basically since none of the gn'r stuff has that sound he has to somehow make that popular. Not gonna happen. Lets see how the new Metallica or AC/DC albums do. He should aim for success similiar to what they get before he thinks about taking over the NO.1 spot.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Still not what I said...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I actually think this will be a wise single choice now. At first i'd expected a more traditional sounding track like IRS, and while the classic rock and traditional buyers would dig that and play it, it might be a little too generic for the younger fans and mainstream media who would report it as a "15 years for this nice average song" kind of report.

Shackler's is much more edgy, and sounds at home with modern music and is likely to attract younger fans - but I don't think it will alienate the older crowed and classic rock cloud totally..as those folks are mostly already going to get CD from GNR's previous efforts rather than a single they hear. And if they 2nd single is something more traditional that could sway any nay-sayers.

Just a theory. But i can see SR working to increase the fan base.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Fact of the matter is, even if a single sounds classic rock, you aren't going to get played on a classic rock station anyway.  Classic rock stations play classic songs, not new songs by classic artists, or classic rock sounding songs.  So no matter what there'll be no play on Classic Rock stations.

The active rock stations will play whatever comes out at first, just to say they're playing it.  Then it needs to have staying power after that, because let's face it, even the active rock stations have a pretty rotating set of "classic" newer songs, and songs by whoever's popular right now.

It also seems pretty obvious that a Top 40 station wouldn't touch this song, even if a single did chart in the Top 40.  Most of the teenage girls and thier Mom's listening to it wouldn't get into it.  Only song getting onto a top 40 station would be a ballad, and not any of the ambitious ballads we've heard so far.

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

Shacklers Revenge

I've got a funny feelin' there's something wrong today
I've got a funny feelin' and it won't go away

I've got an itchy finger and there'll be hell to pay
I'm gonna pull the trigger and blow them all away

Don't ever try to tell me, how much you care for me
Don't ever try to tell me, how you were there for me

I don't believe there's a reason (I don't, I don't believe it)
I don't believe there's a reason (I sure, I don't believe it)

I've got a wicked demon here somehow never fades
I've got an empty feeling
I won't be home today

Don't ever try to tell me how much you care for me
Don't ever try to tell me how you were there for me

No one is stopping you from doing what you want to do
No one is stopping you now, stopping you now

Note on the I don't believe there's a reason (I sure, I don't believe it) There are two Axls singing one high and one low, the higher axl sounds like he sometimes sings ' I don't believe you'

Board footer