You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?

strat0 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
strat0 wrote:

honestly if they do do this, I'll end up buying the unedited version on iTunes, and burn my own disc lol, but I would try and find an unedited physical copy too just because of what this is.

That's the problem. If they have an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart, you won't be able to buy it on iTunes. Now, I am hoping the album doesn't even need a P.A. label and thus it won't matter if Wal-Mart is the only place selling it.

Ya lol i didn't think about that. But I doubt Axl would want it exclusive...He might make it exclusive for a few weeks but not long...

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
strat0 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
strat0 wrote:

honestly if they do do this, I'll end up buying the unedited version on iTunes, and burn my own disc lol, but I would try and find an unedited physical copy too just because of what this is.

That's the problem. If they have an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart, you won't be able to buy it on iTunes. Now, I am hoping the album doesn't even need a P.A. label and thus it won't matter if Wal-Mart is the only place selling it.

Ya lol i didn't think about that. But I doubt Axl would want it exclusive...He might make it exclusive for a few weeks but not long...

I would think that isn't up to Axl. The label is going to try and make back as much money as they can on the album.

I don't see this being a major issue if anything it will help the album's sales.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I just hope the album does well. Axl seems so emptionally invested in everything..i'm not sure what would happen if it bombed or was universally hated.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

I just wonder if these exclusive deals mean the retailer agrees to order in a certain number of copies to make sure the album goes gold or platinum.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

absolutely

U figure Wal Mart is gonna do their all to make this a success, cause the more successful the more they make as well. So each store will have like a special section for the exclusive. someone said the Eagles album sold 7 million. I guarantee without the walmart exclusive it wouldnt sell that. A lot of people that shop at Walmart, don't illegally steal, so they buy something especially at a great price. Also its kind of a psychology trick. People see something that appears to be a "BIG DEAL" they are more interested in buying it. So when they see this huge GNR stand etc, it makes u curious, and it makes your impulse buying mechanism flare up and people who otherwise wouldnt buy it, find it in their cart.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Someone posted over at HTGTH that Staind was on the Howard Stern Show today (I have it taped but haven't gotten to that part yet), and they talked about exclusive retail releases.  Apparently, a retailer like Wal-Mart will buy a million copies for example and that counts towards record sales regardless of whether they're ever sold from the store or not.  If that's the case the sales would be off the charts initially.  I don't see how that would work though, because what would happen when they are sold at the store?  Do they count as double sales?  You sell one, you're actually selling 2?  One to Wal-Mart, one to the customer?  Maybe when I listen to Staind explain it I'll understand it better.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

From another thread:

Neemo wrote:

this is old info from pilferk @ htgth

C.D. cost breakdown with a price of $15.99:

- $0.17 Musicians' unions
- $0.80 Packaging/manufacturing
- $0.82 Publishing royalties
- $0.80 Retail profit
- $0.90 Distribution
- $1.60 Artists' royalties
- $1.70 Label profit
- $2.40 Marketing/promotion
- $2.91 Label overhead
- $3.89 Retail overhead

i'll comment more on it later

That could be the master plan to have CD turn profit. If there's more than one album readied, an exclusive deal with Wal-Mart would cover the release and marketing of them all, alleviating pressure from Universal to further push the product in order to recoup their investments. With those numbers (as Universal owns the publishing rights), they'd require over 5 million units to be shipped for the CD sessions to turn profit. If Wal-Mart agrees to take the baton and push forth with the release, all Universal needs to do is to sit back and figure out when they'll turn even.

It's a terribly big deal to be negotiated, as Azoff has previously done it with acts that no longer have responsibilities to their erstwhile labels. The relationship GNR has had with Universal has been a clusterfuck for years, so Azoff needs to convince all involved that they'll get their money back. But I'm not surprised the negotiations have apparently taken a good part of the year as it is.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Yeah hopefully that's the reason negotiations have taken so long.  Here's to having a successful resolution sometime soon.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
faldor wrote:

Someone posted over at HTGTH that Staind was on the Howard Stern Show today (I have it taped but haven't gotten to that part yet), and they talked about exclusive retail releases.  Apparently, a retailer like Wal-Mart will buy a million copies for example and that counts towards record sales regardless of whether they're ever sold from the store or not.  If that's the case the sales would be off the charts initially.  I don't see how that would work though, because what would happen when they are sold at the store?  Do they count as double sales?  You sell one, you're actually selling 2?  One to Wal-Mart, one to the customer?  Maybe when I listen to Staind explain it I'll understand it better.

I figured that's what probably would happen. The charts are based on how many units are shipped to stores so they won't count the units that are sold. So if they ship 1 million it will count as 1 million sold regardless of how many that are actually sold. That's how I understand it to work.

Soundscan, on the other hand, keeps  track of the number of units sold rather than how many are shipped.  Its not an exact science, but this will be the most interesting number if CD is ever released.

On another note I noticed AC/DC is selling their album on their web site w/ free shipping so if GNR signs an exclusive deal they will hopefully give us the option of purchasing it online than being forced to buy it at Walmart or Best Buy.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Journey debuted at No. 3 or 6 recently. The same Journey that has a replacement singer and just 2 of 4 original members left. The album--Generations--has been the No. 1 independent CD for about 6 to 8 weeks. Who is their deal with? Walmart.

If Journey--fucking Journey--can do that, CD could easily do it and much, much more considering the built-in hype. It's not a bad deal. Walmart's download store has been putting up impressive numbers too, so there's not a precipitous dropoff there either.

Board footer