You are not logged in. Please register or login.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Re: GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?

GNR's 'Democracy' To Be Retail Exclusive?

August 15, 2008 , 9:55 AM ET

Ed Christman, N.Y.
The June leak of nine allegedly "mastered, finished" tracks from Guns N' Roses' long-delayed "Chinese Democracy" spurred a renewed round of chatter about whether the Axl Rose-led band will finally release the 14-years-in-the-making album.

But some concrete signs are finally emerging that the album's release could be imminent. That's because, according to sources, negotiations are underway for "Chinese Democracy" to come out as an exclusive at one of the big boxes -- either Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

Negotiations are also ongoing to have conventional record company distribution, another source says.

Guns N' Roses is now managed by Irving Azoff's Front Line Management, and Azoff is a well-known proponent of issuing albums exclusively through retailers. He released the Eagles' "Long Road Out of Eden" through Wal-Mart, much to the chagrin of other merchants.

Most recently, it became known that AC/DC's next album will come out exclusively through Wal-Mart. Merchants were particularly incensed that the deal was apparently struck with the blessing of Columbia.

It's unclear who initiated the Guns N' Roses exclusive negotiations -- Front Line or Interscope, the band's label.

Representatives at Front Line and Interscope with knowledge of the situation couldn't be reached for comment by deadline. A Wal-Mart representative says the chain couldn't confirm this fall's exclusives. Best Buy representatives couldn't be reached for comment by deadline.

Here is the link:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003839499

From HTGTH

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

It would make sense financially but damn, this would be a huge blow to music stores. Also, Walmart censors everything. Although to be honest, none of the leaks really curse worthy enough of a sticker.

Sky Dog wrote:

this thing really is on the "launching pad"...:smile:

Roxxie
 Rep: 11 

Roxxie wrote:

I guess that means the label has it then.  Hope it's true that its coming out soon!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Dear lord..

Going to be interesting defending that one. The most dangerous band in the world is back, get it at wal mart.
Axl is definitely getting desperate if this is true.

On the other hand it would mean the release is pretty much sealed.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

If it's Walmart I'm not going to buy it. BB I'll think about it, but if it leaks I'll just keep the burned version. I don't need some j/o telling me where to shop.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

this thing really is on the "launching pad"...:smile:

Yeah this is obviously the home stretch.

I hate exclusive deals. The big retail chains getting deals with labels played a huge role in killing off record stores. I REALLY hope they work out a deal to offer it on Itunes instead of just Walmart/Best Buy. I know I've mentioned this many times, but when artists offer something sold only in those stores, I don't buy it.

Sky Dog wrote:

I buy all my cd's at Best Buy anyway so I don't care. You can bet your ass it will be on itunes and everywhere else at some point. Everyone wanted Azoff, well,  you got him.:| He is out to turn a profit.

"Negotiations are also ongoing to have conventional record company distribution, another source says."

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

I buy all my cd's at Best Buy anyway so I don't care. You can bet your ass it will be on itunes and everywhere else at some point. Everyone wanted Azoff, well,  you got him.:| He is out to turn a profit.

"Negotiations are also ongoing to have conventional record company distribution, another source says."

I shop at Best Buy as well. Its not the fact its in the store, its the fact that they are forcing consumers to buy it at a certain store. I hate that shit, and so do many others. I don't like being told where I have to buy something. It turns consumers into sheep.

If doing an exclusive deal guarantees that it gets out, then Azoff has my blessing.:laugh: I just cant guarantee that I'll buy it until its released somewhere other than the exclusive store.

I'll probably force myself to buy it on the day of release because it needs as many album sales as possible that first week, but I wont be happy doing it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

One huge plus we could get from an exclusive store is possibly "B Sides" Live versions, VIDEO of them performing each song live, Inteview disc maybe......

So that could be a positive whereas other stores get just the CD.

Board footer