You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Vicky Hamilton - Approx 1985 - 1986

Aussie wrote:

vickypictxo9.th.jpg

vickybretos0.th.jpg

vickygeffenkalodnermk0.th.jpg

vickyjunepe9.th.jpg

vickysaltydogsr9.th.jpg

vickystefms6.th.jpg

vickynashvilleld2.th.jpg

vicky18pa6.th.jpg

Hamilton originally formed her own management company to handle up-and-coming bands including Poison, Guns 'N Roses and Faster Pussycat, just to name a few. By 1988, Geffen Records was so impressed with her track record that they hired her outright, and she remained with the label until the 1992 sale to Universal. Stints with Lookout Management/Vapor Records and Capitol Records followed, and in 2000 Vicky's own Small Hairy Dog label produced June Carter-Cash's Grammy-winning CD, Press On. After all other labels had passed on the original Carter Family member's record (and long before the box-office success of Walk The Line), Vicky knew that the music needed to be heard. Despite having no plans to start a record company herself, she formed the label, released the CD, and once again proved that her musical instincts were on the mark.

In 2005, Vicky formed Aesthetic V (www.vickyhamilton.com), a new artist management model created in response to the breakdown of the old music business paradigm. Intent on achieving success in this new, hard business climate, Aesthetic V transforms management clients into small business owners and partners in their own careers, showing emerging bands how to build their own successful recording, touring and merchandising businesses. Aesthetic V's current clients include Jack Dill and XO.

According to Vicky's website her resume is as follows:

May 2001-Present
- AESTHETIC V www.vickyhamilton.com
President/Creative Director and Owner
INDEPENDENT MANAGEMENT COMPANY OF SEVERAL MUSICAL GROUPS AND VISUAL ARTISTS
-BAR SINISTER
Live Music Talent Booker www.barsinister.net
-SCREENWRITING
Currently shopping METAL MAVEN CO-written with Iris Berry
Musical Play currently shopping Glitter Beach, Book Co-written by Robbie Quine, Music by Robbie Quine
Two other scripts in the works..

October 2005-Present
-A&R REGISTRY www.musicregistry.com
Freelance writer of the Musical Shares column (interviews with Music Business Executives) and Adventures in Record Label Shopping

PAST RESUME:

October 2006-2007
Teacher in Music Business Program
Personal Management and Start and Run Your Own Record Label - Musicians Institute www.MI.edu

Jan. 1997-Jan. 2003
PRESIDENT/CREATIVE DIRECTOR - SMALL HAIRY DOG Independent Record Label
2000 GRAMMY AWARD WINNING release (Best Traditional Folk)
June Carter-Cash Press ON
April 1997-July 1999
A&R CONSULTANT - CAPITOL RECORDS
Sept. 1994-Oct 1996
PERSONAL MANAGER/ A&R - LOOKOUT MANAGEMENT/
VAPOR RECORDS
Oct. 1988- Feb. 1992 A&R - GEFFEN RECORDS
April 1984-Present PERSONAL MANAGER

Former Clients include but not limited to: Guns & Roses, Poison, Portable, Faster Pussycat, Stryper, Salty Dog, Darling Cruel and The Freewheelers
RELATED EXPERIENCE RECORD RETAILER & BUYER (Licorice Pizza / Apple Records)
PUBLISHED ARTIST (EMI/Virgin Publishing)
CONCERT PROMOTER & BOOKER (West Coast and Midwest)
MUSIC JOURNALIST (West Coast and Midwest)

Whether Vicky Hamilton was ever officially a Guns N' Roses manager is a contentious issue.

Axl Roses on Vicky Hamilton
Axl provides his opinion on her relationship with the band in an interview he did with Del James for RIP magazine in April 1989.

Q. There's been a lot of stories about who discovered you and so on. A name that's been popping up a lot is your ex-manager, Vicky Hamilton. What's her relationship with Guns N' Roses?

A. Vicky Hamilton was a woman who basically had a monopoly on booking bands at the Roxy and the Whiskey, and we needed to get those gigs. We also needed a place to live. Vicky offered us help. She said she'd get us $25,000 we desperately needed for the proper equipment to start getting close to the sound we wanted. She never came through with the money; so with an important gig coming up, we got Geffen to go for a $35,000 memo deal, which means that we didn't have to sign with them but we had to pay the money back. Now Vicky's claiming that she managed us and that we wouldn't pay her back. She claims she invested $100,000 and she should be party to any of the money we make. She says we all get along, but in reality nobody likes dealing with her. Nobody trusts her. She managed the band? We - Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven and Axl - managed the band. A year later she sued us for one million dollars. We didn't want to go to court, pay lawyer fees, court expenses and shit, especially when I don't trust the law and judicial system. I don't need the hassle. I don't believe in the fuckin' law system. I don't believe in the fuckin' government. I do believe that America is the best country on the face of the fuckin' earth, but that doesn't mean that America isn't run by assholes. Poor Vicky might look great in front of a judge, and Guns N'Roses look like slime, so they should lose. We settled out of court for $30,000, 15 of which Geffen paid.

Vicky Hamilton on her relationship with Guns N' Roses
An interview that Metal Sludge did with Vicky in August 2002 provides part of her perspective on this point:

Q. You claim to have managed Guns N' Roses, Poison & Faster Pussycat. But we can't seem to find your name under management on any of the CDs? Why is that?

A. What is that they say: History gets rewritten every 10 years? I managed the early careers of these 3 bands before there was a record deal. Poison, I sold the contract to Howie Hubberman, Guns and Roses signed with Geffen and I took an A&R job there, Faster Pussycat I took to Peter Philbin when he was at Elektra and he signed them. Warren Entner bought out my management agreement.

Steven Adler on Vicky Hamilton
"Vicky was very sweet, very motherly. We were pretty much living in her house, having sex with strippers on the roof. We destroyed it."

Izzyrocks
 Rep: 0 

Izzyrocks wrote:

:butt:Vicky Hamilton was NEVER a manger for GnR, Poison or Faster Pussycat. She was a groupie wannabe (too fat to make it at that) so all the bands mooched off her to get gigs at the Roxy/Whiskey. She's a dog walker now -- not exactly the job of choice of famous rock managers. She's creepy and a loser. Nuff said.

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

lol - tell us what you really think of her and don't hold back.  14

When I put her down as one of the managers I knew some may disagree.  I think most of the band denied she was ever offically their manager.  But since she is still popping her head up for her 15 mins of fame in all sorts of bootleg GN'R DVD's talking about the old days, I figured I would list her so people wanting to research the name and how it ties in to GN'R had some info.

The details of her resume came direct from Vicky's website.

Welcome to the forum BTW - I also think Izzy Rocks 22

Izzyrocks

Izzyrocks wrote:

Thanks for the welcome! I was being kind, trust me! She has been trying to milk this nonsense for decades and it's gotten her nowhere.  BTW -- if you want some scoop, Shane Gibson of KORN is auditioning today to be the new guitar player in Guns. Happy weekend!

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

Thank you for the scoop that's VERY interesting.  Are you able to tell us how he faired in his audition?

On the Vicky Hamilton thing - I take it you have had the unfortunate experience of coming across her in the past?

Izzyrocks

Izzyrocks wrote:

His audition was postponed until yesterday and I haven't spoken with him yet. I'll see him before the week's out so I'll update. He would be a GREAT asset so I hope it went well. I'd love to hear him in the band. Bucket's awesome too so it's kind of a mixed bag. It's sad to see him go. Gotta love a dude with a chicken fetish rocking out in a KFC bucket-hat. Yes.... I have had displeasure of meeting Vicky. Have you?

Aussie

Aussie wrote:

Buckethead brought some fantastic material to the table during his time with GNR.  Shame he's not going to be involved going forward, although for BH I think it's personally better for him to be solo.  I just hope that whoever gets the gig they get a chance to showcase their talents by being given the flexability to "do their thing", plus by the material actually being released in a timely manner.

Nope never met Vicky, although I have a friend who knows a fair bit about her and her claim to be GN'R's first manager, he also says her claim was total BS.  He should know too given he WAS actually their manager post her involvement.

I still like Adler's quote about Vicky:

"Vicky was very sweet, very motherly. We were pretty much living in her house, having sex with strippers on the roof. We destroyed it."

Board footer