You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

Re: Can Guns learn from Metallica?

ereeper wrote:

Still not saying they haven't left a lot to be desired, but I scored the best tickets I ever got thanks to the ticket plan for the 06 tour.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Maybe in this sense but Metallica is hardly a role model for the non-music side of things. They treat their fans pretty badly too. It's a good enough plan, but if they really want to impress they need to go the NIN route and give away the single for free, with artwork, lyrics and writing credits, and promote the giving away of the song everywhere they can. I doubt they'll do this but it's a way to get very positive articles written and it'll make the fans happy.

The other really good plan is to have more than Shackler's up for sale at iTunes whent he single comes out. Include a demo take, or an alternate version, or a b-side that'll never make album release.

I think we've gotten enough for free over the years.  It's time for us to actually pay for some legitimate releases.  Of course this is no thanks to the band (I don't think), but nonetheless.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

It's got nothing to do with what we've gotten, will get, or deserve. I'll pay and I'm happy to pay, I'm just saying if they want to do something special and do something that will get them on the good side of music journalists and blogs, they should consider giving it away for free. And my second option involved paying. Anyways, a single that comes without lyrics, artwork, or writing credits would be pretty lame. I'm expecting just artwork but I'd love a pdf of lyrics and credits.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

13 points of light....yada yada yada.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

And I lost all my karma from the old site...oh well.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I agree with CC. Time to offer this for free on the official site. Its time for the GNR camp to open its arms to  fans again, and a free track is a huge step in the right direction.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

a little off topic but does anyone agree that the new Metallica single ranks 10 out of 10 on the 'meh' factor? not great but not bad, sure i am biased as fuck, however if it was great i'd say it was great, if it was shit i'd say it was shit. i think i can safely say: every leak spanks it and then makes it its 4 year old love slave.

faldor

faldor wrote:
Communist China wrote:

It's got nothing to do with what we've gotten, will get, or deserve. I'll pay and I'm happy to pay, I'm just saying if they want to do something special and do something that will get them on the good side of music journalists and blogs, they should consider giving it away for free. And my second option involved paying. Anyways, a single that comes without lyrics, artwork, or writing credits would be pretty lame. I'm expecting just artwork but I'd love a pdf of lyrics and credits.

Yeah I agree releasing it on iTunes would surely make sense.  I just have a feeling, at least with all the recent discussion about how much people close to the band don't trust the fans, I don't see them bending over backwards for us.  I get what you're saying, it'd be them being the bigger man per se and would be a nice gesture giving us something for free.  You could look at it another way.  I originally said, we've gotten enough for free we should pay now.  They could view it as, most fans have the music already so if we give it away for free it'll make us look good when in reality it's something they already have. 

I just think Axl is stuck in the pre-internet era still.  Hopefully he'll prove me wrong, but a lot of bands have been able to use the web quite effectively.  It's time to take advantage of it, instead of bitching about it.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

So, how many of us would buy SR even though we downloaded it?  I'd get it.

faldor

faldor wrote:
ereeper wrote:

So, how many of us would buy SR even though we downloaded it?  I'd get it.

I would buy it but I don't have iTunes, or have never purchased a download.  I'm more old fashioned.  I actually still go to record stores and purchase the material first hand.  I'd need some education in online music purchasing if I'm forced in that direction.

Board footer