You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Another sign Finck is gone??

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

my point is I don't see him doing anything....thus, why does he need a band to do nothing?

You should have asked that question in 1999.:laugh:

Metal Matt
 Rep: 0 

Metal Matt wrote:

Just out of curiousity, why do a lot of people hate Robin? I think his GnR persona and style is pretty awesome from what I've seen and heard. Now back when he looked like pinhead from hellraiser, I had a bit of trouble with it, but now I thought he fits in quite well.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I think Robin stuck around GNR for the paycheck and now he can make good money with NIN and be set on royalties from CD with less headaches.

James

James wrote:
Metal Matt wrote:

Just out of curiousity, why do a lot of people hate Robin? I think his GnR persona and style is pretty awesome from what I've seen and heard. Now back when he looked like pinhead from hellraiser, I had a bit of trouble with it, but now I thought he fits in quite well.

Hate is a strong word. The main issues with Finck is his style of playing. Its like fingernails on a chalkboard on the classic songs, yet works on the newer stuff. I mean no disrespect to Finck when saying this, but he never should have been Slash's replacement. He isn't talented or iconic enough to fit that mold. The moment Bucket walked through the door, Axl should have handed him a symbolic top hat.

The fact he changes his style whichever way the wind blows is another strike.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

What I hate?  More membership turnover from my favorite band ever, which likely means more delays in getting the record out.  For that reason alone, I hope Robin is still involved, and that CD inches closer to release.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

misterID wrote:

But monkey, all it takes is for someone in the band to make the phone call. You'd think they'd be interested, wouldn't you?

Just found this on that other site by Axllynch:

I actually met Robin for the first time friday when he was headed into the QLA in Cleveland and the first and only thing I asked him was what was the deal with GNR and in a very roundabout way he pretty much said he wasnt sure and doesnt really communicate with the GNR guys and thats more done with management.  The one thing I will say, and maybe its because Trent's family was in the audience and he was back in Cleveland, but there is a very weird vibe about this tour.  Trent releasing a free album online was kinda the first clue, but Trent also said things like that people should enjoy the show because who knows how many more shows there will be and it ended with a very cool finale with every band member waiving goodbye as they one by one left the stage as the song became stripped to just Trent on the keyboards and then him waiving.  Robin also was highlighted a lot more than in previous shows.  He had more solos than usual and there were several whole songs where Robin was in the middle of the stage and Trent was to the side.  The show felt to me like a goodbye tour in all honesty and next year itll pretty much be 20 years since PHM so that might explain Robin doing the tour (which just added more dates).  I also felt sad that nothing ever came out when the band had Robin and Josh Freese...those guys are so entertaining and original.  Freese plugging in the beats on a giant video beatbox was hilarious and cool and he played flawlessly all night.  Both Freese and Robin seemed really into everything out there and Trent even attempted to go the entire show without using the F word, although he messed up a few times.  I  wouldnt be surprised if Trent told people this would be the last NIN tour and thats why Robin went.  I dont want to read into Robin's comments, but I was disappointed to hear that he speaks to the GNR guys through management...just makes everything seem a bit cheap.  Also i like his look a lot better now than when he looked like a homeless man, its not really goth like in the 90's its pretty put together.

Thought it was interesting, but I hate that I had to got to that site. I need a shower.

While the original find is another example of Robin's commitment to NIN, this little story doesn't seem right to me at all. This is mainly an NIN thing but if that part of this post is inaccurate it could possibly disprove the rest.

- The free album giveaway is because Trent is moving forward, not because he's about to retire.
- If it was a farewell tour they wouldn't play songs so new instead of the classic songs that define NIN.
- Robin's involvement doesn't make this tour nostalgic, it just makes it better. Robin is adding his own touch on a lot of new NIN material, him getting more attention is probably due to a lot of things - Trent realizing how good he is after Aaron North, and Trent realizing he can't be the only band member anymore even if he is the ringleader.
- That ending has been done at a lot of shows, the one by one waving is nothing new and nothing to suggest NIN will be done anytime soon.

All Trent does is talk about the future, and it isn't golf and country clubs. It's more music, new release strategies, and a TV show based on one of his albums.

James

James wrote:

I agree 100%. Trent isn't retiring. He's the trendsetter in the evolving music industry, and he isn't stupid and will not walk away from that.

JordanRose
 Rep: 6 

JordanRose wrote:

Hang on a minute. People are completely writing off the possibility of him coming back when the one time he has apparently been asked directly he didn't say 'no'. To think that he wouldn't be open to re-commiting and touring to support FOUR album's worth of stuff he's worked on is silly. Even Bucket has said as recently as 2006 that he might rejoin if and when the whole thing actually starts. Robin's message to us after Rio 2004 was cancelled was that he cannot wait 'ultimately to tour and tour'. When he stagedived at Hammerstein 2006 and was carried round the pit he told Axl when he got back up 'I live for that'. He was extremely affectionate towards Axl in those shows and over the following  two tours whilst on stage. There are stacks of pics of Robin hanging out all over the world with the whole band. Remember the pics from Robin's birthday? They all know oneanothers' families and kids. They were a very close unit by the end the 2007 tour.

But since the beginning Robin hasn't been one to hang out with the others during downtime. Tommy, Dizzy, Richard and Pitman do and often play together or on eachothers' projects. Bucket and Brain were seperate. And Robin was seperate. It's not weird that he's not in direct contact with all of them so long after the last tour.

If the record did come out this year and a tour was booked for early 2009, it isn't out of the question at all that Robin would come back. Whether Bucket would even be asked now Ron has settled in is another matter but still.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

when and where did bucket say that?????????

Board footer