You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Roxxie
 Rep: 11 

Re: Football (soccer) Thread

Roxxie wrote:

Any chance of starting a championship thread? sad

Roxxie

Roxxie wrote:

Tottenham Hotspur have appointed former Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp as their new manager after sacking Juande Ramos late on Saturday night.

Spurs have agreed a compensation package of £5m with Portsmouth, according to the 61-year-old Redknapp.

Tottenham also axed sporting director Damien Comolli and first-team coaches Gus Poyet and Marcos Alvarez following their worst start to a season.

"It's a big opportunity to manage a big club before I retire," said Redknapp.

Redknapp plans to be at White Hart Lane on Sunday to address the players before they take on Bolton, with development squad coach, Clive Allen, and youth team manager, Alex Inglethorpe, officially in charge for the match.

Redknapp told 5 Live's Sportsweek: "The chairman knows the team needs strengthening in two or three positions still, we are short in one or two areas and that is something I will be looking at.

"However, first and foremost it will be about getting the best out of the players who are here. There are some good ones who have not done as well as they should have done.

"We have got to get them playing to their maximum and if we do that, then we will be OK."

Redknapp revealed that Spurs contacted Portsmouth on Friday morning, and after discussions between Levy and Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie, it was agreed he could talk to the north London club.

"I've had a great time at Portsmouth and we've had an unbelievable, successful time over the six years I've been here," Redknapp told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"But Tottenham made a fantastic offer to Portsmouth and it was difficult.

"It was a lot of money - I think £5m, crazy money really. Pompey couldn't sell a player in the [transfer] window so we sell the manager."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7691457.stm

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Roxxie wrote:

We'll make this a more general football thread. All football (soccer) posts can go in here, Premiership or otherwise.

Who do you support?

Roxxie

Roxxie wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
Roxxie wrote:

We'll make this a more general football thread. All football (soccer) posts can go in here, Premiership or otherwise.

Who do you support?

Don't worry dude, it was a joke - I support Spurs. 18

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I boycotted soccer the day Mia Hamm retired....

Roxxie

Roxxie wrote:

What a game, what a goal!

edit: Finally worked out how to embed youtube! 10

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:

liverpool top smile

Roxxie