You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: **Kevin Cogill Who Leaked 9 GnR Songs Arrested Today**

Sky Dog wrote:

but James, please admit that you honestly don't side with Axl on any issues at this point...no matter what the facts are. As I said earlier, Gnr aren't completely out of the loop, but there are a LOT BIGGER people in play here.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

The person at fault isnt Axl or the label, its this douche for trying to be E Famous. Congratulations, U ARE, now bend over for Big Bubba and Welcome Him To the Jungle.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

He signed a confession. What a moron. I think they went after him because of his connection to Universal. They will probably use him to get to the person who gave him the songs.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

I am not going to argue with you--

Then don't claim something as 100% true with zero doubt. You know its gonna bring a rebuttal.

these songs are jointly owned by Universal Music and GNR

Care to show proof, or is this one of those 100% true things I'm supposed to blindly believe?

Run to the store real quick and get me the album that shows this property is owned by Uni.

Any blame directed towards the band regarding this is childish

No its called logic and common sense, and its something I use often. I don't add asterisks next to everything GNR related so it can wrap up all nice and neat.

but James, please admit that you honestly don't side with Axl on any issues at this point...no matter what the facts are. As I said earlier, Gnr aren't completely out of the loop, but there are a LOT BIGGER people in play here.

No one is saying there aren't "bigger people" involved. Aren't there always other issues going on? I'm just not willing to hand out blowjobs and free passes because I know the person who wrote these unreleased songs had to be consulted.

Did Axl sue the guy? No. Did he know this was going on? Absolutely.

but James, please admit that you honestly don't side with Axl on any issues at this point...no matter what the facts are.

What are the facts? Did the official site just get an update? Did Axl post at mygnr instead of having Beta and Fernando hibernate in that thread?

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

James, I love your Devil's Advocate take, but I reiterate, once the FBI was involved, this was out of GN'R's hands.  Moreover, trying to claim this material is not copyrighted is blatantly false

Sky Dog wrote:

James, the facts are Axl did not arrest the guy nor did he hire the FBI investigator to pursue the "COPYRIGHT" infringement. The RIAA did....those are the only facts available. You are the one assuming you know copyright law more than the RIAA, FBI, and Federal prosecutors. The Feds don't arrest you unless they pretty much have you nailed.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Here is the legal brief so no one can question this anymore--THIS WAS THE RIAA, NOT GNR.  Also, it notes the case began when an RIAA special investigator notified the FBI--not GNR.  Also, it details the law, there is no doubt this material is copyrighted--if it wasn't, then the Fed's would not have prosecuted.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/ye … 2gnr1.html

The RIAA's copyright unit has been going after these infringements for the past several years.  The record labels signed a joint agreement, which created a task force unit within the RIAA which specifically monitors and seeks out music industry copyright infringement.  Many times there is no prosecution, because the band leaks it itself.  Obviously, GNR did not leak this, so that is answered.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

He signed a confession. What a moron. I think they went after him because of his connection to Universal. They will probably use him to get to the person who gave him the songs.

Bingo. This is what's really going on. Uni needs to plug a leak--fast. Skrewl will walk if he gives up his source. Watch.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Acquiesce wrote:

That being said I am definitely not behind this prosecution and I find it laughable that there are fans out there calling him a criminal when no doubt they enjoyed the leaks he brought to them.

As a fan of the band and the music, and when it seemed no album was comming out for years on end, I too was happy to hear new songs that I had never heard before. But why should my excitment at that mean I think that the person who distributed them acted within the law? In terms of the law he did the wrong thing. For us fans who wanted the songs, he did what we wanted. One thing has nothing to do with the other to me. Like Robin Hood gave money to the poor - but he still stole it!

sic. wrote:

joins them in their incredibly naive and misguided attitude towards the digital realm and the consumers who reside within.

I have a ton of respect for you sic as one of the most awesome posters out there. So i don't want this to sound like an attack on you...but I actually think it isn't the record companies who are naive on this issue...it's the digital p2p and online comunities you refer to who are naive.

Sure, tehcnology is going to make it easy to do this stuff, and hard to catch people. But in the physical non-digital world, copyright is a legal right that is enforced, and people like the FBI don't see it as old fashioned or going away just because we have computers now.

Technology makes it possible for people to steal money from banks from their own homes. Are the police naive to investigate this as the crime of theft just because it didn't happen with a shotgun at a brick-and-morter bank? Likewise copyright violation is an offence if you do it digitally, or if you go in with some old school hardware and steal the songs in person.

There are broader socological issues at hand - that ask questions about why information and sound should be capiable of being copyrighted - which is what I think is at the heart and soul in the minds of those who refer to copyright as outdated, replaced by the internet and so on...who feel they have the right to stuff because its now possible to do it easily...but that's an issue for your legislators then...take it up in politics if you feel the laws are outdated and no longer appropriate.....but don't call the cops nieve...as the status quo is that what many people do is illegal...and just becasue it seems natural to internet junkies like the people on here....doesn't mean the real world police will see it that way - from their point of view - laws have been broken.

Board footer