You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Del James Interview

faldor wrote:

Brett, I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you can single one person out for breaking up Guns N' Roses.  Hell, Slash himself doesn't even blame Axl for the breakup.  He puts more of the blame on Izzy and Steven leaving/getting kicked out.  They all played a part, there's no use in trying to cast one single person as the guilty party.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Here is just some of the interview...

September 15th, 2008

Interview With Horror Writer Del James

By Dana R. Davidson

Go buy his book, The Language of Fear, a collection of beautifully grotesque, based in reality, short horror stories at Dark Delicacies in Burbank, Amazon.com, and BarnsandNoble.com

One of the most interesting and loyal people I have ever had the pleasure to meet and keep, I give you an interview with, Del James, writer, Guns N' Roses road manager, music producer, father, and friend.

Dana: Will you share that rad haunted house story on the road?

Del: Last year, GN'R were in Auckland, New Zealand and I found out about this haunted house called Spookers.  Spookers? Of course I wanna go to some place called Spookers but unfortunately it was only running on the same night as the show. There were three bands on the bill: Rose Tattoo, Sebastian Bach, and Guns N' Roses. As road manager, part of my job is to get every band members to and from the venue and make sure everything is all sussed out. Well, the last van going to the venue took a slight detour so that we could go to Spookers. I had one of the guitar players with me. I also had one of my best friends, Hernan, who's part of the Guns N' Roses crew, onboard. We had some family and friends and we all went through the mazes and got chased by monsters and did everything your supposed to do at a spook house and still got to the venue in time to do the gig. Now, someone else might have a moral conflict with hijacking a van to go to a spook house on a show night but I don't.

Dana: How did you end up becoming the road manager for Guns N' Roses?

Del: I've been around for twenty some odd years and I've worn many different hats. I was in charge of the documentary crew for a while that was on the Use Your Illusions tour. I've co-written songs. I've been a roommate. I've been a dealer, songwriter, and video director'¦I've done a lot of different things. When I get my shit together and finally get off all the drugs and the drink, management made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They basically said 'when you are clean you are part of the solution, you are an asset. When you are wasted you are one of these animals and we've got enough animals and the animals are performing. So, you know, so as long a you keep your shit together you will always have a job with Guns N' Roses.' So far still sober and that's how I lucked into becoming a road manager.

Dana: What are you doing on Dizzy Reed, keyboardist from Guns N' Roses', record?

Del: Dizzy is in the process of recording his solo album. Dizzy is a great songwriter but not very many people know this. I've known Dizzy has a record in him for a real long time. I co-wrote some of those songs but they were already great ideas before I ever got involved. He's fucking good. And the list of people who have jumped on board to help Dizzy, to play on his solo record, cause it's not a case of five guys in a band who have rehearsed these songs inside out. So some of the GN'R guys, like Frank Ferrer on drums, Richard Fortus on guitar, Tommy Stinson on bass, they've all come down. Frankie Banelli from Quiet Riot played some drums. Adrian from No Doubt played drums on a song. Mike Dupke from W.A.S.P., Mike Duda from W.A.S.P. played some bass, Greg Coates from The Bangkok 5 played bass, Chuck Wright, guitarists include Todd Youth from Danzig, Murphy's Law and D-Generation. Alex Grossi. Whitey Kryst from Iggy Pop. Ricky Warwick from The Almighty'¦Bobby fucking Hamble.  Oh man, Bobby from Biohazard comes down to the studio say hello to me, right? I ain't seen this guy in like 8 years. We hug and going on tour the next day.  I'm like, 'hey Bobby, so what are you doing right now?' and I'm holding the guitar. He knows that I can't play the fucking guitar so Bobby wound up playing a killer solo on a song called 'Cheers To Oblivion.' And that's how it's been. There's been a bunch of talented friends getting involved because every one is supportive and believes in Dizzy Reed the musician, the songwriter with a phenomenal voice. His voice is the secret weapon to the whole project.  Dizzy & I are producing it.

Dana: Any GN'R stories you can dish?

Del: During the Use Your Illusions tour, GN'R were down in Australia for like three weeks to do three massive shows. Talk about an amazing time with a lot of days of. The band stayed in Cairns and the band members had these awesome bungalows. It was on this luxurious golf course that people fly in from all over the world to golf there. Swimming pools, tennis, spas, restaurants, clubs'¦Most of the musicians brought their wives out for this fun time but Dizzy Reed's wife could not make it so I got to be his roomie! And naturally, our pad became the party pad. Constant complaints from our neighbors about the noise. Our refrigerator was like a bar. It was non-stop and we only had one rule: if someone dared you to do something and they chose not to, they had to leave the bungalow. That's how we weeded out the weak from the worthy. Our dares were never cruel or mean spirited. Just goofy and, well, usually involving nudity.

Apparently, golfers take golfing really seriously. Like stupid serious so one of our favorite challenges became to dare some nubile bunny to take off all of her clothes and run out our back porch to go steal a recently hit golf ball! Now, if some naked hot chick stole my golf ball, I would laugh my ass off but golfers have like no sense of humor. They would get all bent out of shape and chase these streaking girls! Man, they'd get pissed off and we would watch, laughing like little kids. Funny shit, right'¦Then there was a knock at our door. Me and Diz slowly open it and standing there is the band's biggest bodyguard. Big '˜ol, ex-professional football player and he's not looking too happy. He growls at us, 'I think you got my golf ball'¦.'

Dana: Axl seems to get a bad wrap. Any misconceptions you'd like to set straight about Axl?

Del: Almost everybody knows that Axl Rose and I have been gang tight for over twenty years. Earlier you asked me about loyalty. I've never met a more loyal person than Axl. He's loyal to a fucking fault. That guy always shares the credit, always gives opportunities, and hell, is willing to take less of a cut in terms of money just to make sure that his band and crew are well taken care of. It's unheard of. Every tour we've even done, members from other bands' crews are begging to jump on our crew. Treat people that way you want to be treated, right?

From a personal perspective, it fucking bothers me to no end when people with their own personal agendas or who don't know what the fuck they're talking about write books or give interviews about Axl. And let's not forget that a lot of these journalists writing about him don't necessarily like Axl. You could make a case that personally they hate him so you really think they're going to go out of their way to present a fair story? I mean really, how can you objectively write about someone you have no contact with? How accurate can a biography be when all of your information comes from secondhand sources or is hearsay? One of these days, Axl is going to set straight a lot of the misconceptions about himself and the history of Guns N' Roses and people ain't gonna know what hit '˜em.

Read the entire interview here: http://www.fatally-yours.com/interviews … del-james/

thanks to funkymonkey @ HTGTH

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

ya know i think with Del out there doing interviews..its almost like hes trying to paint a favorable image of axl for the media

these past couple interviews i've really enjoyed 5

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

How can you accurately write a story, for which you have a bias?

Still Del shells out pretty awesome interviews, that are the one place to see the story from the other side of the fence. Kudos.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Cheers for posting.

I agree Neemo, you could be forgiven for thinking that they are gently trying to change the public perception of Axl and co.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Are we taking odds on whether or not Dizzy's solo album is out before Chinese Democracy?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No doubt in my mind Dizzy's album will be out first.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
Del James wrote:

One of these days, Axl is going to set straight a lot of the misconceptions about himself and the history of Guns N' Roses and people ain't gonna know what hit '˜em.

I'll be waiting...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Now I placed it. Del's talking about the autobiography Baz said Axl's writing. Therefore, we have an Axl book in the cards somewhere down the line after the album comes out.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=2787&p=1

Board footer