You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: IGN reviews "Shackler's Revenge"

Sky Dog wrote:

you obviously didn't look very hard or just disregarded this thread with two positive reviews-one from the same company as the negative one!
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=4445&p=1

another review.......................

Sweet Revenge

Rating: **** (4 of 5)

Track: Shackler's Revenge
Band: Guns N' Roses
Source: Rock Band 2 (playlist)

Who's Shackler? We don't know either but he'll have his revenge soon, as Guns N' Roses air out some clean laundry from their mythic and forever unreleased album Chinese Democracy. Forget the dirty laundry (the demos, the leaks, the fakes) - this is the real deal.

A new, official and soon to be released track that will be tied to the Rock Band 2 videogame (MTV/Harmonix) being unleashed in September for the Xbox and in December for the PS3 and Wii platforms.

We've heard it. The verdict? Oh man.

"I've got an itchy finger and there'll be hell to pay," scowls Axl Rose in a baritonish chant, but he needn't fret or lose sleep anymore; his vocal cadence commanders this grinding disco anthem like General Patton driving his tank through a Sicilian village.

Shackler's Revenge harks back nine years to that lone other nu-GnR song, the pummeling Oh My God from the Arnold Schwarzenegger bomb End of Days - only the grime and distortion has now been replaced by in-your-face hooks, assaultive choruses and a front and center swooping drumbeat. Unshakable and uncompromising industrial blast rock for the dance floor.

Some GnR diehards will scream bloody murder but even the sleaziest Sunset stripper won't be able to sit still to the infectious groove of this Frankenrawk.

It sounds effortless, almost rushed, and it'll be fun to survey how every lyric, riff and loop will be scrutinized by the mainstream media, critics and crazy fans to the point of madness. If anything was ever a no win situation it's Rose and his next album. Only the masturbatory midsong solo by Buckethead (or is that Bumblefoot?) seems jaded - but good luck keeping up with it in the game, kids!

Guitar gymnastics aside, Revenge is a charging slice of Rob Zombified disco n' roll in GnR clothing and with a red bandana. A fist in the face of expectations and doomy naysayers; all waiting, teeth glaring, in the lobby of the jungle for the Lion King and his comrades to finally emerge from the shadows with that damn Democracy.

Hey, Joe Public probably won't even recognize this as Guns N' Roses.

Maybe that was Axl's plan all along.

Revenge can be sweet.

By: Peter Venkman
ROX OFF

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Considering the fact IGN is the ONLY negative review out there, I don't think this really means anything.

SR rules, and although not original, still stands out among the best of that "sound". Like the Illusions were to the 90's, CD will probably be a "White Album" for the 2000's. A mix up of several different styles, which is what i've always admired of GN'R and Axl vision for what it should be primarily.

The Illusions were bashed in the beginning back in the day, because they weren't Appetite, but are now regarded as two of the best rock albums of the 90's. No doubt, CD will be held up to AFD, will fail, and everyone will paint it with a stroke of "suck". It doesn't, and I haven't even heard the finished album.

The guy's review also lacks credibility, because he approaches it with a bias, that is evidently clear mid-way through the read. When he starts putting Slash up on a pedistal, and looking at the old GN'R as the benchmark, is where he loses all validity. It's not that old GN'R or Slash are bad things or things that didn't have a hand in building the "brand" Guns N' Roses, but to present your argument like you are approaching it with an open mind, and then to go into why the solos don't work because Slash ain't there, which is what he alluded to, you just seem like some mullet-headed conservative, as Bright would say, that still beating off to your copy of AFD.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

There's going to be a shit ton of negative reviews. Most people will never give it a fair shake because of all the baggage, 14 years, 13 mil ect. No album, not even some of the greatest of all time, can live up to the hype that has surrounded this one. Axl shouldn't give a shit about any of these reviews, positive or negative. He's already cemented his legacy. Even if CD is just him farting into a microphone it won't tarnish that legacy.

Personally, I like 90% of the new material I've heard. Even if it wasn't branded with the GN'R name. I just want a GN'R album, I could give a fuck less if it's commercially successful or changes the music scene forever.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Good points Harmon, and I think that's why there's been rumors for most of this year that the label is pushing for a old band reunion, and CD's release with the hopes that sales will go up, and the public will be more forgiving of the album, if they know that Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy... are back together and officially in Guns N' Roses again.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Ugh, I really hope Axl has no more control over when the album comes out. If not, a couple more of these reviews and we can forget about the album altogether...

That being said, the last paragraph really hits the nail on the head.

Who cares? I've got 11 studio-quality tracks allegedly from this album already on my computer and iPod. Even if he tries to abort the album's release, it's already been 90% leaked in the first place.

As for Shackler's, I think it's a good song. The worst song so far is "If The World" in my opinion. Way too repetitive despite having some pretty good guitar work and vocals.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

if the song was sang and written by jonas brothers, i would like it, i'd certainly be like "what the fuck!?!?" but regardless, i'd like it. saying people love this song solely because Axl wrote it, is so ignorant its almost infuriating. this is the first negative review i have seen, and the guy is clearly an idiot. he contradicts himself so badly that he loses all credibility, how can something sound dated and still be a hit on modern radio stations? the guy is clearly an imbecile.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
madagas wrote:

you obviously didn't look very hard or just disregarded this thread with two positive reviews-one from the same company as the negative one!
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=4445&p=1

Yeah, I read the IGN Xbox team's review as well. Sure it's positive, but I wouldn't call it a professional music review... wink.

madagas wrote:

By: Peter Venkman

What's the source for that one? (And where can I find Ray Stantz's, Egon Spengler's and Winston Zeddemore's reviews?)

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

To be fair, IGN hit the nail on the head in one sentence; the one regarding it most likely wouldn't stand the test of time. That is my main qualm with the song, other than the repetitiveness. And, with GNR, that's important to me. Most of their tunes are timeless.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

My girlfriend doesn't like any GNR songs. Not old or new. She DIGS Shacklers Revenge though. Since she does it, there's gotta be others too. She loves the chorus which I always found the most annoying in the song.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer