You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: New GNR vs old GNR/ GNR vs Velvet Revolver thread

johndivney wrote:

this thread is hilarious for the first 4 or 5 pages, then the debate about forum ethics kinda drags but then it gets ok again the last few pages.

but the start is brilliant. buzzsaw is a funny fucker.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

65886_453467816906_694316906_5335314_2613644_n.jpg

Well, it's the verses thread so at home here. But i feel signs like this, while well intended actually just inflame a lot of the bullshit that surrounds GNR.

It's this kind of thinking that I think is bad for fans of both Axl and Slash overall. The need to make it all a contest.

I can understand why fans of the new band are defensive as I guess often theres the "where's slash" call.

At the end of the day though it seems to me that both bands are great.

Slash is one of the most influenencial guys out there, hell I suspect guys like DJ admired him along with Motley Crue and so on on their way up. He kicks ass, and just because he is out of the band, and doesn't get on with Axl, it's a shame for people who like his music to pretend he's lost it or that he doesn't.

Then there's DJ. He does a damn fine job of replicating the guitar parts on the album. His solo spot is great and shows potential for future songwriting with GNR, as does his songwriting achievments with the Crue and Sixx AM etc. He's delivering an exciting and first rate show night after night. So it's crap when people bag him just because he isn't someone else too.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

^^^ monkey your right this IS the place for it.
The debate can lead to good discussion. If people can do it with respect and in the right place. Its also to remember most of this is the relm of opinion.

IMHO:

21 is top notch! no one can deny what he has done for/with GnR, As a slolo and in VR. The guy is a legend. My childhood musical idol i could write a whole page but he dose not need it.

Dj is in Gnr @ the moment. He has some writing credits of his own. He has potintal and Im interested to see what Axl can inspire him to and vice versa.
he is also one hell of a showman and a link that brought new younger interest to GnR. He also plays the classice with the right feel. Dj is possibly the next best option to a reunion.

Bumblefoot has alot of talent. He has some writing credits of his own. a little recording on CD. A promotional animal! fun guy and is awesome in responding personally to fans.

4TUS seems like a cool guy I dont know much about wen hes on hes on . He puts on a good show and knows the back crowd cant see small movements.

Izzy. another legend! I miss him but not as much as slash. To quote him on songwriting "my song writing has not changed, Im just allowed to play the songs as intended now" I love his base songs augmented by the afd uyi line up. But not so much after the first JuJu. lack of exposure likely had alot to do with how I feel.

Gilby. Meh I follow him on twitter. He felt right during UYI tour and TSI for me. Was complimentary to slash imo. he had some song credits and i was curious what his imput would have been with GnR.

bucket is ....well bucket. He and fink ran me off in 02. I had sit there for years with UYI, AFD, Lies some videos from MTV and a few boots. then axl sounded like pure shit on MTV and there were bucket and Fink such a visual shock i didnt even hear that the band sounded good. I really like CD so whatever is his on there i can say im into. I like some of his solo stuff and he RAPED the nt solo! but between him and fink rewriting the classic music didnt work for me much in the same way as my feelings about Mr. Kennedy it took me till 06 to find interest again with RIR and worked my way back on youtube to 02. there was some good shows.

Fink see above^^^

Paul Huge who?  I guess im into whatever is his on CD. havent really paid attention to him live. I guess im pissed at him over slash tho it wasnt all his fault.

Zakk & dave would have been interesting.
Drugs played a major role in this band. I feel the music would have been less inspired without it. I also sometimes wonder where these guys would be without the drugs.

All just my 2.    Whats Yours?

SLASH vs DJ ASHBA ~ NATIONAL ANTHEM 2010 3[youtube]BPA9XTWv-kM&feature=related[/youtube]

jamester

jamester wrote:

sometimes people take things a bit to far....

tommy_stinson Tommy Stinson
Dizzy, Chris, myself and our entire crew would gladly put in an 8 hour day of shoveling out a flight if we could get on it. this is bullshit
6 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
»
Tommy Stinson
tommy_stinson Tommy Stinson
Completely unimaginable that a country such as the United Kingdom could shut down their airports over such a small amount of snow and ice.
6 hours ago Fa

in reply and retweeted by  Stinson

image.jpg

Estrangedrebel
@Tophatblues0 Hell
Mate......Feed......Kill......Repeat!!!!!!

Tophatblues0 Estrangedrebel
@
@tommy_stinson aw did you wanna get home ????? Boohoo !!!!!!!! We want the real gnr back ! Don't care if your (cont) http://tl.gd/7jtr6e
4 hours ago Fav

3 minutes ago   Favorite  Retweet  Reply
»
Estrangedrebel
Tophatblues0 Estrangedrebel
by tommy_stinson
@
@tommy_stinson come stay at mine n I'll slit your fuckin throat phoney
4 hours ago Fa

Tophatblues0  Estrangedrebel
@
@tommy_stinson do you think the uk wants axls bitches here?when you are real gnr and not the diluted version you (cont) http://tl.gd/7jtnuk
4 hours ago

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

The airport thing is surprising...although myself I'd prefer to have people massively delayed and pissed off rather than risk their lives...I don't want to see Axl's jet hit some black ice on the runway and stack into the tower or whatever. It sucks but saftey needs to be #1 surely.

As for the people threatening the new band and making comments like that it's fucked for a ton of reasons, not the least of which is that any reunion is clearly a choice for Axl and the old guys themselves and the lack of making that choice has nothing to do with Tommy and the new guys, it's hardly their 'fault'. And even if it was threats like that are totally unacceptable even if in jest.

On a related note...I've been thinking that for those of us like me who enjoy a bit of everything, the current situation actually gives us a lot more. I mean I have no doubt a reunited GNR would kickass - the magic of Axl and Slash together and all that - but at the same time - it would be like one uber band - and ineveitabely there'd be delays while they work out which things they like together. But at the moment we get the new GNR and Chinese Democracy, we get Slash doing his solo thing, VR is winding back up, hopefully one day we'll get some CD2...there's almost more for fans this way really.

Like I saw Slash several times earlier in the year, then GNR after them, that would all be one gig in the old days....

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah it seems they're *Still* stuck there...i'd be loosing my cool after this long.

The threats worry me too. I guess they'd have good security...but things like that show what it must be like for celebrities. It's freaked me out ever since that pantera incident. I mean I didn't really follow that band...but the idea that someone can come up and kill you during a gig....makes you wonder how many unbalanced people follow GNR and take it as an insult that slash and axl don't play together anymore.

There's definately some non-reunion pluses. Size of venue is another. Slash playing theatres and slighly larger places makes for gigs that are much more intimate than the huge stadiums that a reunited GNR would likely play.

jamester

jamester wrote:

i imagine its a hard situation..remember that video where axl stoped tof one or 2 fans on his way to the car.  he was soon in the middle of several people and looking around nervous

Board footer