You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Re: RUMOR: Best Buy buys 3 million CD cd's upfront?

Acquiesce wrote:

I'd say Azoff is the financial genius.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
gnrfan1987-present wrote:

I heard about the 3 million album advanced order on E!  They were saying Axl is a financial genius because that deal makes sure he will turn a profit on the album even if it tanks commercially.

Only downside with a mass order like that is you run the risk of following in KISS's footsteps.  In 1978 they shipped 1 million copies of each of the solo albums to guarantee they would all go platinum.  Problem was they basically flooded record stores and KISS became overexposed as a result.  In the end the solo LP's ended up in the bargain bins. 

Hopefully that won't happen with Chinese Democracy.  With $7.99 used copies of the CD available at every used music store in America for the next 30 years.  But if the deal's true my hates off to Irving and Axl for pulling it off.  Without Azoff we might NEVER have heard an official version of this album.  Because Geffen & Axl may never have been able to figure out a way to turn a profit.

You make a great point right there. And that is one of the reasons more and more I believe this is three seperate albums.

I just think Best Buy would be slicing their own wrists buying (excluding Vinyl's) 3 million copies (assuming 1 million per 'version') of the same exact album, just different artwork.

It sounds good for Axl & UMG, but horrible for Best Buy who's making all the business decisions to begin with.

It's becoming clearer the only way this is going to work in the theory of 'same album, different artwork' is if they offer bonuses, that vastly differ from each version.

My mom (of all people) had a theory that it would be the same album, but all different versions of each song on the album, some songs would have alternate solos, some songs would be extended versions.

Interesting theory... hmm

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Maybe it's from alternate lineups and it's CD as it sounded then, version 1 being from 99, version 2 01/02 and version 3 being the 06/07 version. Highly unlikely, but I can think of a few people who might be in favour of it...

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Well, I'd be all for the following:

Version 1 (the fall 2000 album): Axl / Robin / Paul / Tommy / Josh / Chris / Dizzy, with contributions from Bucket & Brain. Produced by Sean Beavan, with additional work by Roy Thomas Baker.

Version 2 (the 2002 album): Axl / Robin / Paul / Bucket / Tommy / Brain / Chris / Dizzy, with contributions from Fortus. Produced by Roy Thomas Baker, with additional work by Axl.

Version 3 (the 'final' album): Axl / Robin / Fortus / BBF / Tommy / Brain / Chris / Dizzy, with contributions from Paul and Frank. Produced by Axl and Curt Cuomo, with additional work by Caram Constanzo.

The 2002 version would probably be the best, IMHO.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

they won't do different line-ups exactly because people will start bitching about who's better and who should be on stage if they tour. and it won't be only on the forums like it was until now, it will be bitching all around the world from the average fan

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

I dont think it'll be different versions, obvious from the best buy link, which states chinese democracy 'cover' being the operative word. not version 1, 2, 3, cover 1, 2, 3.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

that said there might 2 or 3 songs that differ with each cover, otherwise what other incentive is there?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

they are obviously hoping to move metallica like #'s if they can then 3million isnt too bad..metallica sold almost a mill in 2 weeks

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm still thinking each are going to have bonus CD or DVD's, in addition to artwork, that will seperate the three.

Board footer