You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: How does the new material rank against the old?

Neemo wrote:

kinda premature so far but axlin08's comment in the other thread prompted me to make this thread

what are your top 10 gnr songs of all time? where does the top new material rank against the old?

here's my top 10

1. Sweet Child o' Mine
2. Civil War
3. One in a Million
4. Don't Cry
5. It's So Easy     
6. Patience
7. Estranged
8. Pretty Tied Up 
9. Mr. Brownstone
10. November Rain 

WTTJ is a close 11 for me

I'd compare IRS with YCBM
I'd put TWAT on par with Rocket Queen
I'd say Maddy and Breakdown are comparable
finally I'd put Better and Nightrain close in my book

and now for the big shocker I'd put those 4 new tracks all above PC 18

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

1. Estranged
2. It's So Easy
3. Don't Damn Me
4. One in a Million
5. Nightrain
6. Pretty Tied Up
7. Locomotive
8. Coma
9. November Rain
10. Double Talkin Jive

Shackler = Nightrain
TWAT = Breakdown
CD = It's So Easy
Rhiad = Don't Damn Me
The Blues/Street of Dreams = One in a Million

This is pretty rough, I may put more thought into it some other time.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

Top 10 old songs:
1. Sweet Child O' Mine
2. Nightrain
3. You Could Be Mine
4. It's So Easy
5. Don't Cry
6. Estranged
7. November Rain
8. Welcome to the Jungle
9. Civil War
10. Don't Damn Me

My top 10 with the new songs ranked in:
1. Sweet Child O' Mine
2. Nightrain
3. You Could Be Mine
4. It's So Easy
5. Don't Cry
6. Estranged
7. November Rain
8. Welcome to the Jungle
9. Civil War
10. Better

With the exception of Better I don't think the new material quite stacks up against the old classics. They are good tunes, but they are a notch below. I wouldn't even rank them against some of the tracks  that aren't in my top 10 such as RQ, Brownstone, PC, Patience, OIAM.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

shouldnt Shacklers, CD, Riad and SoD all be in your top 10 then? hmm

see for me i think the biggest problem with the new material not ranking high for me is that alot of times older gnr tunes are part of my life's soundtrack.
its hard to bring new songs to the same level as those nearest and dearest to me. and i relize that for younger people these newer songs will mean more to them as they will be songs of their youth

i dont have favorite songs anymore...all my favorite songs are like 15-20 years old from when i was a teenager 16 :wtf:

Acquiesce

Acquiesce wrote:

Yeah, I think that's a great point Neemo. The old songs are ingrained in some of us and it's hard to top the songs that was a part of the soundtrack of our youth. But for me it's also that these song's aren't as catchy and memorable as the classics. Better is the only new song that I get the urge to listen to it on its own. I don't get that urge with the others.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Neemo wrote:

see for me i think the biggest problem with the new material not ranking high for me is that alot of times older gnr tunes are part of my life's soundtrack.
its hard to bring new songs to the same level as those nearest and dearest to me.

I see what you mean, but I just think the new material isn't as strong as the old. Lyrically Axl is great (mostly), TWAT, The blues, Chinese Democracy, Madagascar are among his finest ever. But musically the songs aren't too interesting. When I first heard SCOM, WTTJ, Coma etc. I felt it in my veins. It didn't happen with the new songs. The only exception is TWAT, which didn't do the old GN'R-feeling for me, but I felt it's something unique. I think it's the only new song that's in my GN'R Top 10.

Here it is (in no order, cause it was hard enough to selsct only 10 great tracks)

Welcome to the Jungle
Paradise City
Rocket Queen
You're Crazy (acoustic)
One In A Million
Double Talkin' Jive
Coma
Locomotive
Estranged
TWAT

Nightrain, SCOM, Civil War, YCBM and Ain't It Fun are very close.

sandman

sandman wrote:

i think AFD is the greatest album ever made (followed by Zeppelin IV). so nothing in my mind will ever really compare to that.

I love UYI 1&2 and i think the new stuff compares pretty favorably to that. i think it's VERY possible that CD will end up being as good as either of those albums. obviously, it depends on the strength of the 3 new songs and the quality of the final versions of the other 11.

it's tough to rank all the songs though cause it's such a close call on so many. but my top 10 would include at least 7 from AFD (maybe 8 or 9). the other songs in the mix would include (in no particular order)....Estranged, Double Talkin Jive, YCBM, Patience, One in a million, TWAT, Chinese Democracy, IRS, Shackler's Revenge.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
sandman wrote:

obviously, it depends on the strength of the 3 new songs and the quality of the final versions of the other 11.

totally thats why i had said it may be a bit premature to do this..ill definately revisit this thread a month or 2 after CD is released

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

the moral of the story is, you arent meant to compare gnr then to gnr now, its axl rose..and its all different, by 17 years.. thats a fuckin long time when you really think about it...who knows what we`ll be listenin to in 17 rs... C.D #2 leaks no doubt

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

1. Mr. Brownstone
2. Its So Easy
3. Estranged
4. You're Crazy (Lies)
5. Rocket Queen
6. Double Talkin' Jive
7. One In A Million
8. Locomotive
9. There Was A Time
10. Civil War

Honorable mentions: Rhiad and the Bedouins, Down on The Farm, Sweet Child O' Mine, Better, November Rain, Dont Cry, Coma

Board footer