You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Re: (OLD NEWS!)The Limewire Leaks Discussion

Furbush wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That was a great analysis Polluxum.

indeed... the song is a giant "Fuck. You." to all of 'em...

bucket up their ass... 9

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:
Saikin wrote:

That was a great analysis Polluxum.

indeed... the song is a giant "Fuck. You." to all of 'em...

bucket up their ass... 9

Damn right. And I say this as a person who loves Slash and Duff. I hate Matt. He's a whiny bitch who road Axl's coattails and then turned around and talked shit about him. He's also a lousy drummer in my opinion. Anyway, the thing that blows my mind about all 3 of them is that they had no desire to expand their musical taste and try new things as a band. Hello, Nickelback. Axl had the balls to try new things and you have to respect that. In my opinion, this is what made the Beatles and Led Zeppelin the two best bands in rock history. Despite creating a massively successful formula, they both experimented and went into a lot of diverse musical areas in their careers. When I see talented guys like Slash and Duff saying that they want to keep putting out AFD-sounding albums, it makes me feel bad for them. It's such a pathetic existence to keep using the same formula. It may be successful, but it is pathetic nonetheless. And that's why Axl calls them a sellout in "Sorry."

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I dont agree with this assessment at all.

Slash's solos in NR and Estranged were certainly not trying to be AFD part II

Slash also wrote Coma and Locomotive. Once again, Hardly trying to be AFD part II

I think this "Axl wanted to expand" while the other members wanted to play the same thing is bullshit.

Have u heard Oh My God and Shackler's? I can understand why Slash and Co. didn't want to try and be something they arent.

The worst thing u can do is jump trends and try to do whats "IN" That to me is what Axl was trying to do by going all Industrial and NU Metal. So I applaud the orginal members for stickin to their guns and not tryin to follow the new thing.

U are Guns N Roses, u are trend setters, not trend chasers. Axl always seemed kind of like a poser to me in a lot of ways. His Nirvana T Shirt, his Chili Pepper shirt, always talking about NWA and 2 live crew like he's cool cause he likes rap music...........

Also, u guys keep making it out like Slash and CO left over musical differences and that was only a very small part of it. They left due to a lack of respect from Axl and Axl making them sign over the name and coming on stage so late etc.

I definitely will not support a song that has any sort of old band bashing.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Slash also wrote Coma and Locomotive. Once again, Hardly trying to be AFD part II

I think this "Axl wanted to expand" while the other members wanted to play the same thing is bullshit.

Have u heard Oh My God and Shackler's? I can understand why Slash and Co. didn't want to try and be something they arent.

The worst thing u can do is jump trends and try to do whats "IN" That to me is what Axl was trying to do by going all Industrial and NU Metal. So I applaud the orginal members for stickin to their guns and not tryin to follow the new thing.

U are Guns N Roses, u are trend setters, not trend chasers. Axl always seemed kind of like a poser to me in a lot of ways. His Nirvana T Shirt, his Chili Pepper shirt, always talking about NWA and 2 live crew like he's cool cause he likes rap music...........

GN'R's sound on Appetite was NOT trend-setting. Nor was the sound on Use Your Illusion trend-setting. Those two (technically three) albums were heavily influenced by 1970's hard rock and classic rock like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Queen, and Elton John. Hardly trend-setting.

And a little news for you. "November Rain" is from before Slash was even in the band. Axl is the one who wrote it. Slash came up with a solo to fit the song. It's a fucking great solo. But it's not like Axl was writing lyrics and melodies to fit Slash's guitar parts on that song. It was the other way around. And judging by Velvet Revolver and Slash's Snakepit albums, I would say that YES, Slash wanted to keep pumping out the same old, same old.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

As Axl said, the difference between him and Slash is that he (Axl) didn't hate every new type of music that came out. 

Axl liked Aerosmith, Hanoi Rocks, Queen, and Zeppelin so he incorporated those styles into his music.  Did that make him a poser?

So if he liked NIN and Pearl Jam why would adding those influences to what he was doing make him a poser? 

There was a funny quote, I think it may have been from Lars, where back in like '89 before NIN had become big, Axl was playing their songs.  There was a comment about how everyone else was still listening to Judas Priest.  The metal meatheads were all like "what the fuck is this shit?" and Axl made a comment along the lines of "this is going to be huge"

The band always took bits and pieces from other bands they liked and incorporated those sounds into their music, so I don't really get the argument that incorporating a style you like from the 70's is cool but if it's from the 90's it's fake

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

GN'R's sound on Appetite was NOT trend-setting. Nor was the sound on Use Your Illusion trend-setting. Those two (technically three) albums were heavily influenced by 1970's hard rock and classic rock like AC/DC, Aerosmith, Queen, and Elton John. Hardly trend-setting.

And a little news for you. "November Rain" is from before Slash was even in the band. Axl is the one who wrote it. Slash came up with a solo to fit the song. It's a fucking great solo. But it's not like Axl was writing lyrics and melodies to fit Slash's guitar parts on that song. It was the other way around. And judging by Velvet Revolver and Slash's Snakepit albums, I would say that YES, Slash wanted to keep pumping out the same old, same old.

Dude, who doesn't know that song was way before there was even a GNR? U aren't breaking any news, but he was still able to write one of the greatest solos in music history  over it. Not a bad feat for some guy who wants to stay the same.

Also, SCOM is not like anything nor is Jungle. I think u are just slanting stuff to try and fit your argument.

So would u rather be an AC/DC, Aerosmith, Queen, Led Zeppelin  band? Or an Elton John, NIN, Pink Floyd, White Zombie band?

there isn't a wrong answer but Appetite was ground breaking and still is great 20 years later, I can't say CD won't sound dated 2 years from now.

U are wrong about Slash and Co. Snakepit was a side project. VR are vastly underrated.

Slither is an awesome fucking song, so is YGNR, Sucker Train Blues, Fall To Pieces and Headspace all written in abou 6 months.

U act like Slash can't play anymore at all.

I have a feeling, his solo album will be a nice shut the hell up to all the naysayers.

what u don't realize is, u have to write to fit your lead singer. Scott's limited range etc, made it hard for Slash who had to dumb his guitar down in a lot of ways.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

D-Machine, it's not that Slash can't play. He can still play. In fact, he might be better than ever now that he's off the drugs. But Scott Weiland sucks ass. Period. Matt Sorum sucks ass. And for whatever reason, the stuff they put out was not very good outside of "Slither."

I'm not a Slash naysayer. I refuse to believe his side of the story entirely. If you seriously believe that guys who were so boozed and drugged up at the time have a clear recollection of ANYTHING, then you're pretty biased. Slash was practically a heroin addict at the time and Duff was an alcoholic. That's straight from Slash's own account in his autobiography. Fact of the matter is those guys talked shit about Axl for years in the press while he stayed quiet and never said anything about them. Not exactly a classy move on their part considering they were trying to portray Axl as the major prick who broke up the band.

samnuts
 Rep: 1 

samnuts wrote:

i am the last person that's gonna bash VR.  i like both of their records.  But I do think that it is evident by listening to them that the old GNR members in that band wanted to stick to a particular sound that was more basic (and i mean that in the best possible way).  it has been no secret that axl had other expectations for the band and that's clear when listening to the new tracks.  there is an effort to be grand.  whether these songs reflect that effort and reach those expectations is another topic for debate.  i think both of these types of musical expressions have their place, but obviously that place wasn't in the same band.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

axl also made no bones about the fact that he saw guns as a "constantly evolving thing"....
the rest of 'em were like.."what the fuck is this shit?"

nobody can argue this...
hell, even some of the illusion shit... and i'm not even gonna mention "my world"..
axl and axl alone had to talk them into doing stuff like NR, estranged, etc...
even coma was a hell of alot more straightforward till axl got his mitts on it.. had they put out AFD 2, there woulda been a HUGE backlash... in order to stay relevant past 1989, they HAD to evolve.. but axl tried to push them too fast and too far out of their musical comfort zone, and they bailed.. i agree that without every musician on those records, they NEVER would have been as great as they were... having said that.. it was AXL's vision that pushed the band to the level it had achieved by 1993...

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

thanks truly to all those who have sent links etc..

As for the leaks, I am waiting still... gonna hold out and not hear Scraped or Sorry whatsoever until release day...  but from you guys are saying, they are a couple of crackers which is very heartening

have listened to the first leak (with all the skips) of This I love 3-4 times but only about half of it. Somewhat saving that too, but what i've heard sounds like it will be definite highlight of the album

Just listened to the latest Catcher leak in it's entirety and thats as far as i'll go now. Gonna delete it.

Thoughts? I agree with the general consensus that seems to have permeated - theres too much going on here and the core haunting melody has been swamped. Mays solo was vastly superior but I do like Fincks outro.
The breakdown part that was very sparse on the original leak is now too cluttered also. I'm hoping it's just a case of getting used to it cos I love that song. But it sounds like the kitchen sink approach so far, has subtracted greatly.

Heres hoping it grows and the rest of the songs we know have been enhanced not weakened.

Board footer