You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: GUNS N' ROSES' 'Chinese Democracy' Single Best 'Mainstream Rock' Debut

faldor wrote:

Yeah the music video world isn't exactly what it used to be.  I'm sure back in the day, the single, and the corresponding music video were probably released at or around the same time.  But since MTV and VH1 hardly ever play videos anymore I don't think it's ultra important to get the video out on day 1.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

They should release Better and TWAT or another ballad at the same time. Better for the radio and then TWAT or maybe Madagascar for the video.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:

i think they are waiting to see how cd does next week and if it does good they're making a video, if not, they'll pick another track to come out with in full force.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Considering the fact there was literally NONE of the momentum going into this, that there was with the Illusion albums, I think that's quite an accomplishment.

As soon as that thing was released, it should have gone to #1 on the rock charts with all the hype surrounding the album. Given the rather negative reception it has gotten from casual listeners, I'd say this is the best it's going to do. Hope I'm wrong and it skyrockets up the charts next week.

I don't think its too common for new singles to debut at #1.  Especially from hard rock acts like GNR.  I think it even took Britney Spears a couple weeks to reach #1 with her latest crappy single.  So I'd hardly consider this a failure and it's way too premature to predict that this is as good as it's gonna get.

I'm not talking about #1 on the Pop charts. I'm talking about #1 on the Mainstream Rock chart, which excludes pop acts like Britney Spears and only includes rock and hard rock. GN'R is a huge act that has been gone for a long time. You would think a new song by them would go straight to #1 on the rock chart strictly because of people's curiosity.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

but now you're calling me an asshole for expressing my thoughts, what an awful paradox we're all caught in.

quotes from tejy:

"Looks like it's headed for flopsville."

"As soon as that thing was released, it should have gone to #1 on the rock charts with all the hype surrounding the album."
despite the fact that it earned its position based on radio airplay alone because you can't buy it. singles don't debut at number 1 when they're released solely to radio btw, its impossible.

quotes from someone who claims to love the new band, voice your opinion all you want, but make sure it isnt baseless, don't put a negative spin on something that is positive, dont expect the impossible(songs that are released solely via radio do not debut #1 telling people it should have is just lame), and for god sakes, 4 months ago called they want their avatar back.

and to say i dont allow people to criticise the new songs is totally wrong, i am all for criticism as long as it isn't snide, and unnecessary, if you dont like a song why dont you tell me why, instead of "it sucks"

supaplex

supaplex wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

quotes from someone who claims to love the new band, voice your opinion all you want, but make sure it isnt baseless, don't put a negative spin on something that is positive, dont expect the impossible(songs that are released solely via radio do not debut #1 telling people it should have is just lame), and for god sakes, 4 months ago called they want their avatar back.

it's the way he chose to interpret those numbers. you look at it in a positive way and he looks at it in a way you think is negative and he says it's positive. it's a matter of opinion. and if you want to argue based on an opinion, you'll never get to common ground

p.s. thou shall not speak bad of an avatar of heath ledger or thou shall use one for a week around the forum 16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

but now you're calling me an asshole for expressing my thoughts, what an awful paradox we're all caught in.

quotes from tejy:

"Looks like it's headed for flopsville."

"As soon as that thing was released, it should have gone to #1 on the rock charts with all the hype surrounding the album."
despite the fact that it earned its position based on radio airplay alone because you can't buy it. singles don't debut at number 1 when they're released solely to radio btw, its impossible.

and to say i dont allow people to criticise the new songs is totally wrong, i am all for criticism as long as it isn't snide, and unnecessary, if you dont like a song why dont you tell me why, instead of "it sucks"

That's the problem. When I called you out for your BS a while back, you attacked people who had given their reasons for disliking whatever was going on at the time. And if I recall correctly, I had not even commented on the situation at all until I noticed you acting like a prick towards them for no reason at all. They have just as much right to express concern as you do to express excitement.

My comments on the track going to #1 were perfectly valid. You see, I'm not talking about the pop charts. I'm talking about the rock charts. It doesn't take much to hit #1 on the rock charts and I am surprised that it did not debut higher up on the charts than it did. That's not putting a negative "spin" on anything. For such a major act that hasn't been around in a long time, the anticipation alone should have had DJ's on rock stations playing it constantly out of curiosity alone, never mind listener feedback. We'll see how it does this week, but I stand by my comments. It looks like it's headed for flopsville. And I'll say this again since you seem to be having a hard time comprehending it. Axl made a lot of enemies through the years unfortunately. These assholes will NOT give it a chance. It is a great song but they refuse to even give it a chance. It's a sacrificial lamb. I think Axl knew it was going to get panned simply because it was the first thing released and these jerks were ready to harp on it no matter how good it is.

Your comment following mine about flopsville got deleted. I wonder why? Could it be because it was a personal attack? Why in God's name you decided to attack me instead of actually talking about the issue itself is beyond me. But whatever. By the way, my avatar has been on here for a long time, jackass. Stop with the personal attacks and grow up. And yes, you ARE being a jackass and deserve to be called out for it.

supaplex

supaplex wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

I'm not talking about #1 on the Pop charts. I'm talking about #1 on the Mainstream Rock chart, which excludes pop acts like Britney Spears and only includes rock and hard rock. GN'R is a huge act that has been gone for a long time. You would think a new song by them would go straight to #1 on the rock chart strictly because of people's curiosity.

not necessarily. gnr, compared to other legend bands (metallica, ac/dc) don't have the backing of the big fanbase they used to have.

now, they have to win over that fanbase and impress the new generation of music listeners. you can't do that in a week with one song and mostly no promotion.

i think we'll "need a little patience" for this to take off. it's the downside of being out of the game for a decade.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
supaplex wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

not necessarily. gnr, compared to other legend bands (metallica, ac/dc) don't have the backing of the big fanbase they used to have.

now, they have to win over that fanbase and impress the new generation of music listeners. you can't do that in a week with one song and mostly no promotion.

i think we'll "need a little patience" for this to take off. it's the downside of being out of the game for a decade.

We shall see. But another factor is that it's a sacrificial lamb. There's so many people out there who refuse to even give it a chance even if they secretly like it. It's a kickass song, but these dickheads hate Axl so much that they've been waiting this entire time for him to release something simply so they can talk shit about it as well as about him. I hope "Better" is the second single and the initial "everybody bash Axl" period is over so that they'll give that song a chance because it's also a hell of a song.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

it's the way he chose to interpret those numbers. you look at it in a positive way and he looks at it in a way you think is negative and he says it's positive. it's a matter of opinion. and if you want to argue based on an opinion, you'll never get to common ground
but the thing is, i dont understand how anyone can possibly interpret those numbers negatively. the song was essentially dumped on radio, with no promotion, no accompanying video, and that's how high it ranked. and for all intensive purposes it is number one, as it was played double the amount of times as the #1 ranked song in the country.

http://www.radioandrecords.com/Formats/ … _Chart.asp
there's another chart, chinese D is number five, look at its score(based on duration since release : number of requests/plays) +735, the number one song is +19, maybe if the song was 40 or something on the charts and hadn't been played more than double that of the most popular radio track in the U.S i could see cause for negativity, in this case no, there isnt.

in before, its only being played because of the name and next week it will decline/will make or break the single, fair point and i acknowledge it, but for now, expecting more is ridiculous.

Board footer