You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: GUNS N' ROSES' 'Chinese Democracy' Single Best 'Mainstream Rock' Debut

BLS-Pride wrote:

GUNS N' ROSES' 'Chinese Democracy' Single Best 'Mainstream Rock' Debut Since 'Don't Cry' - Oct. 31, 2008
According to Billboard.biz, GUNS N' ROSES' new single, "Chinese Democracy", has made a splashy bow across a bevy of Billboard's and Radio and Records' rock airplay charts '” after only five days of airplay. It debuts at No. 12 on Mainstream Rock, No. 15 on Active Rock, No. 37 on Modern Rock and No. 7 on Rock. On Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart, which began in 1981, it's the band's best debut since 1991 when "Don't Cry" opened at No. 4.

GUNS N' ROSES' new album, "Chinese Democracy", will be released in the U.S. exclusively through Best Buy. The 14-song set will be available on CD, vinyl, and as a download. While singer Axl Rose has remained silent, co-managers Irving Azoff and Andy Gould said in a statement, "The release of 'Chinese Democracy' marks a historic moment in rock n'roll. We're launching with a monumental campaign...that matches the groundbreaking sound of the album itself. GUNS N' ROSES fans have every reason to celebrate, for this is only the beginning."

One new song, "Shackler's Revenge", debuted on September 14 through the Rock Band 2 video game, while another, called "If The World", can be heard in the new film "Body of Lies".

"Chinese Democracy" is the first album of new material from GUNS N' ROSES since 1991's "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II".

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

some suicidal people will still try to put on negative spin on this, you watch, either here or on another forum they're out there....waiting...

NickNasty2009
 Rep: 2 

Gotta give em' one thing: A/G have balls...they could've made this a stealth release just to get it done with but they are definitely playing up the hype and embracing he bizarre history of the album. Is it a gamble? I think so, but so far a pretty good one.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good article. Not surprised it is on par with Don't Cry's position. Most of UYI singles were throwaways to help sustain that massive tour. Other than a few cheesy videos, very little thought when into those singles.

The 2nd week chart position will make or break this track. If it drops a bit, they should not risk losing any momentum and unleash another single.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

SCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPED

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Looks like it's headed for flopsville. 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Considering the fact there was literally NONE of the momentum going into this, that there was with the Illusion albums, I think that's quite an accomplishment.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Considering the fact there was literally NONE of the momentum going into this, that there was with the Illusion albums, I think that's quite an accomplishment.

As soon as that thing was released, it should have gone to #1 on the rock charts with all the hype surrounding the album. Given the rather negative reception it has gotten from casual listeners, I'd say this is the best it's going to do. Hope I'm wrong and it skyrockets up the charts next week.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

As soon as that thing was released, it should have gone to #1 on the rock charts with all the hype surrounding the album. Given the rather negative reception it has gotten from casual listeners, I'd say this is the best it's going to do. Hope I'm wrong and it skyrockets up the charts next week.

I don't think its too common for new singles to debut at #1.  Especially from hard rock acts like GNR.  I think it even took Britney Spears a couple weeks to reach #1 with her latest crappy single.  So I'd hardly consider this a failure and it's way too premature to predict that this is as good as it's gonna get.

Sky Dog wrote:

they don't debut at number 1.....Texas doesn't understand that this single debuted higher than Nov Rain, You Could Be Mine, etc.....it was only a partial week. People are very ignorant sometimes. Billboard is reporting it because it DID WELL.

Board footer