You are not logged in. Please register or login.

war
 Rep: 108 

Re: My guitar complaint *spoilers included*

war wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
war wrote:

completely differently genre of music that requires far less, musically speaking, from far fewer musicians

Far less? Sounds like you haven't listened to the record. Just because it doesn't have shredding guitar and an orchestra doesn't make it "far less".

i agree with that but maintain my claim

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I haven't heard the finished songs, but based on what I've heard it's clear that Axl should have get a piano, play some songs, put it out and no other
fuss. I think the stronger songs are the ballads and Axl alone could have made them even more intimate and heartfelt. It's still not late to rid of the other guys and make an album and play a tour with one single piano.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

i agree...
maybe he should go back to the "appetite"and "lies" way of doing things...
not in terms of sound or style, but in terms of.. let the band do it's thing and see where it leads...write lyrics over what they do.. maybe toss in an "axl ballad" and go from there... sadly i doubt the final product would be as good as what the 01 lineup would've produced.. the more i watch C2B3 on youtube... the more i'm intrigued by the possibilities...
write and record that shit in 2 months... bring in fucking rick parashar or someone who's good at recording bands playing live in the studio... and keep axl away from the mixing room.
And don't get me wrong... i don't want Gn'R turning into BLS...Zakk has so much goddamn talent that he wastes by not thinking about actually crafting songs anymore... that's the other extreme... but the 01 band had such an amazing chemistry that what they would've produced in a short period of time would have been complex AND kickass...
but i will reserve FULL judgement until i hear ALL of the material...

war

war wrote:
Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
war wrote:

completely differently genre of music that requires far less, musically speaking, from far fewer musicians

Far less? Sounds like you haven't listened to the record. Just because it doesn't have shredding guitar and an orchestra doesn't make it "far less".

I agree.

While i haven't heard Santagold's record, saying that GNR's style of music requires far more than Santagold's style is a fallacy. 

And as far as the music aspect of GNR goes, Axl didn't need everything he used on those songs.  If he stripped some of them down a little they may be better.  Better is a good example of a song that needs to be stripped down. 

AFD was musically an amazing record and it was basically shit out as well.

maybe you should go listen to it before agreeing with james that i should listen to it before having an opinion wink

i also disagree to a point that gnr could have done with less musicians because

IMO - this album is awesome and one of it's beter qualities is it's diversity. and the only thing keeping it from being a "perfect" album is the guitar solos. none of the guitar players that have touched this album or tried to, could have come up with parts to fit all of these different songs by themselves including 21. all of them have brilliant parts too so, if anything, there are a few waiting to be replaced by an additional person.

by the way james i have heard it and don't mean any disrespect to MIA. herself and a great producer is all that is necessary for making her type of music which is part of what makes her music special.

but my point was that axl, on othe other hand, is special in his ability to bring so many seperate entities together into one.

war

war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I haven't heard the finished songs, but based on what I've heard it's clear that Axl should have get a piano, play some songs, put it out and no other
fuss. I think the stronger songs are the ballads and Axl alone could have made them even more intimate and heartfelt. It's still not late to rid of the other guys and make an album and play a tour with one single piano.

that would be incredible. axl w/piano and a guitar player with an acoustic guitar .........slash??????

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

I think he could do it alone. No Slash, no Bucket, no Izzy. Really alone. And it'd be incredible.

war

war wrote:

lol
hey i just used incredible
you gotta come up with something else damnit

war

war wrote:

i would be fine with just axl but those acoustic riffs go so well with his raspy voice

Mikkamakka

Mikkamakka wrote:

Alright, then I use the magic word *mindblowing*

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
war wrote:

IMO - this album is awesome and on of it's beter qualities is it's diversity. and the only thing keeping it from being a "perfect" album is the guitar solos.

I don't think anyone is saying its not a damn good album. It is, and when we do our usual 'best of 2008' thread at the end of the year, Chinese Democracy will come in 2nd on my list of best albums of 2008, although I still haven't listened to Dido's record.

Board footer