You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: My guitar complaint *spoilers included*

James wrote:

You thread killer! 14

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

From the sources available this whole project has been a long drawn out wasteful album session. Yet still the new talk has swung around to the elusive "big guns" that must be on the next album.

We've already heard the 'big guns'. They were called Better, TWAT, Street of Dreams, This I Love, Prostitute, and Catcher in the Rye. 16 Those are the tracks hyped up since the project started. We've now heard them all. Hell, Axl's three favorite tracks are in that group of songs listed.

Its no coincidence all the leaks are on the album.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
madagas wrote:

seriously, can we stop talking about the past? ...at least until the end of the year. Can we just talk about the record? Forget about what is going to happen "next' as well....I gotta say that I can see why Axl doesn't want to communicate with his alleged fans....NOTHING and I mean NOTHING will ever be good enough. He simply can't win. *cues up Sorry and stops reading inane posts on a message board.*

Is this the standard "Poor Axl" speech? Everyone bashes poor Axl, he can't do anything to make us happy thing?
I don't know why people are so negative when all he has ever done is respect and appreciate his fans speech?:bs:

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

Not to get too much into the minutiae {sp}, but isn't that what we do around here? smile

Anyone else hear Waxl whistling at 3:55 on Sorry?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
D-Machine wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

This I Love seems incomplete. Like Estranged if it didn't have the guitar melodies and the 2nd part.

Ironic. A 15 year old tune sounding incomplete. Axl truly can't do anything as it's supposed to. Always out there, challenging the norm.

Well...there are 13 other solos, so what the heck.

Yeah but This I Love is MY song. Ive wanted tohear this for 15 years and it is one of the best GNR songs ever

Seriously

that isn't hyperbole, that isn't being a prisoner of the moment. I honestly think its the best ballad on the album and vocally it pisses all over anything Axl has done.

The guitar solo though??????????????????

Horrible

one of the worst solos I have ever heard in my life and it truly fucks up an all time classic.

U look at November Rain which this song COULDVE surpassed with the proper guitar

without the guitar solos, that song wouldn't be half as good as it is.

This I Love screams......... absolutely screams for guitar melodies and a heartcrushing solo.

I get to the climax, the solo comes in and I yell the word "FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK' at that part cause this song deserves an amazing solo.

This fucking breaks my heart to read.  GNR was always famous for their signature guitar lines.  Now GNR sounds less and less like a guitar band, but a bunch of guys that didn't play like themselves trying to capture a vibe of something they are not.  There are many moments in the leaks that sound like Finck or Bucket are "trying" to give a Slash vibe, but then they just vommit on themselves.  Less is more usually.  The fills in CD sound very Slashy.  Bucket and Finck come off as contrived mainly because they are not "HARD ROCK/BLUES ROCK" players.  It would be almost as bad as putting Chet Atkins in GNR.  GNR isn't country either.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

I agree with Smoking Guns...if Slash and Duff were so lame and couldn't go to the places Axl wanted to go, why get the new guys to try and sound like them.

I really think that only the drums/loops sound different than what we are used to hearing from GNR.

oneway23
 Rep: 0 

oneway23 wrote:

Smoking Guns, GNR is no longer a blues-based hard rock band.  How could anyone expect them to be?  When there are new chefs in the kitchen, the ingredients are bound to change.  While I agree that there are occasions in the new tunes that may attempt to replicate Slash's style (whether they were explicitly directed by Axl to attempt to capture "that" sound, or they elected to do so of their own volition is unclear), for the most part, the tones and effects being used on most of the songs seem to identify which guitarist is playing.  That, in and of itself, is a pretty major feat when you consider who they are replacing.  Most of us can already discuss Finck's "sound", Bucket's "sound", Bumble's "sound", etc....Whether or not one enjoys what they are hearing is another debate altogether.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

Smoking Guns, GNR is no longer a blues-based hard rock band.  How could anyone expect them to be?  When there are new chefs in the kitchen, the ingredients are bound to change.  While I agree that there are occasions in the new tunes that may attempt to replicate Slash's style (whether they were explicitly directed by Axl to attempt to capture "that" sound, or they elected to do so of their own volition is unclear), for the most part, the tones and effects being used on most of the songs seem to identify which guitarist is playing.  That, in and of itself, is a pretty major feat when you consider who they are replacing.  Most of us can already discuss Finck's "sound", Bucket's "sound", Bumble's "sound", etc....Whether or not one enjoys what they are hearing is another debate altogether.

Yes, I agree with you there all the way.  Just saying, there are moments where the songs call for a certain type of sound it seems, and these guys really have limited experience in going for that sounds.  Bumble can probably play the most challenging music ever written on the guitar, however, his feel on "his" solos in GNR is bad.  He has a bad feel.  However, he is a monster player when playing covers, when its "his" work, it doesn't sound right.  Finck seems to try to play the "Slash" role the most.  He has some "tasty" solos, and also some really average ones.  Bucket, the most original of the new group is my favorite, but even he a lot of times doesn't fit for the direction the song is going.

oneway23
 Rep: 0 

oneway23 wrote:

I appreciate the response...I hear ya, I mean, yes, TWAT definitely sticks out in my mind as a blatant attempt to go for the grand, November Rain-esque, career defining solo, but I think that Buckethead does just enough of his own thing to prevent it from veering too far into the realm of parody.  The funny thing is, a lot of the solos tend to have a really lyrical quality to them.  In fact, I would say that MOST of the guitar playing in general is molded around Axl's vocal and melody; that seems to be the bedrock for most of these tunes.  The songs that tend to be a bit more atonal and "wanky" are just a byproduct of the styles of the people who wrote the tunes.  I haven't heard the final mixes yet, so we'll definitely get down to it and wax philosophical on the playing when the CD comes out.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

Yes, I agree with you there all the way.  Just saying, there are moments where the songs call for a certain type of sound it seems, and these guys really have limited experience in going for that sounds.  Bumble can probably play the most challenging music ever written on the guitar, however, his feel on "his" solos in GNR is bad.  He has a bad feel.  However, he is a monster player when playing covers, when its "his" work, it doesn't sound right.  Finck seems to try to play the "Slash" role the most.  He has some "tasty" solos, and also some really average ones.  Bucket, the most original of the new group is my favorite, but even he a lot of times doesn't fit for the direction the song is going.

Idk. Bucket's NR solo was epic.

Board footer