You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Did you buy Chinese Democracy single on Itunes?

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:

Nope I didn't buy it.

On a side note when is the lat time any of you guys heard Chinese Democracy on radio? It's all but dissapeared from the airwaves here. I think I heard it last Tuesday or something. I listen to the radio all day at work so...... What's up with that?

I still hear it on the radio plenty (Sirius Octane).  It's been the #1 requested song on most nights since it's release and has been #1 on their top 20 weekly countdown the last 2 weeks.  So it's all relative.  Some stations may not play it as much as others, but it's certainly still getting airplay.  Just take a look at the Billboard charts, where it's at #8 based solely on radio play.

I haven't bought the track yet.  I tried to install iTunes on my cpu last night but that didn't work out too well.  My cpu is quite old and doesn't seem to be able to comprehend anything from the 21st century.  I'm gonna pre-order from Best Buy, but apparently they're not doing the "free single" offer anymore?  I might try Napster if not, just to show my support.  I think I can spare the dollar.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Apparently this is no longer being offered as a free download. You wont receive the code, which makes me wonder why it was offered in the first place. Were probably just hoping for a huge jump on the Itunes chart and it wasn't working out like they had hoped.

What a joke. 23rd cant get here soon enough.

It's still free on Napster if you pre-order from Best Buy.  I just got it, and it sounds fantastic!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Apparently this is no longer being offered as a free download. You wont receive the code, which makes me wonder why it was offered in the first place. Were probably just hoping for a huge jump on the Itunes chart and it wasn't working out like they had hoped.

What a joke. 23rd cant get here soon enough.

James, it was NEVER offered as a free download on iTunes. The free download is from Best Buy if you pre-order the album from their website. The download comes from Napster, which is owned by Best Buy. On iTunes, you can either buy the song or the album. If you buy the album, the single automatically begins downloading so technically it's the same deal although I prefer getting the full version of the album instead of the shitty compressed iTunes version. iTunes never offers big name artists' singles for free. The iTunes version sucks compared to the Napster version. It has DRM and half the bitrate. And getting the Napster version for free means that you actually bought the CD from Best Buy, meaning you will get the full quality versions of the songs on release day instead of the garbage that iTunes is offering.

faldor

faldor wrote:

Good explanation Tejas, that pretty much sums it up.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Ok...so in Australia...they only sell the single when you purchase the album...(they give you the single - bill you the $1.69 immediately and charge you the remainder of the $16.99 for the album and let you download that when it's released).

For me...i doubt i'll do this...i'm going to want the album in lossless quality - not 128kb...so i'll purchase the full CD...and if i can find it in aus...i'll purchase a vynal copy too....i would have bought just the single on itunes to push it up the charts and show some support....but if the only way I can do that is by spending $17 and buying a 3rd (and crappy auido quality) version of the same album i'm not sure my budget will stretch to that.

On one hand I can see this method as kinda sence making given the album has "something for everyone" - you know like if someone hates the single - they might still love Street of Dreams or TWAT etc - so i guess it keeps a lot of fans.

But it also makes the single release a bit fake...cos we have no idea how it would chart on its own - and at least for australians its a bit of an ask to make people agree to spend $17 just if they for sure know they want the one song.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

bucketfan wrote:

No, I refuse to pay money for lossy audio!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

It is now #18 on iTunes' overall sales chart. That is a hell of a start in just 2 days considering most of the top songs have been out for quite a while. It is still #2 on the rock chart but Nickelback's song is #14 overall so CD will likely pass it tomorrow at some point. I'm thinking that by late in the day tomorrow it could get into the top 10.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Instead of making a new topic for the same single throwing this in here:

660x_120tcgnoclick_gunsnroses.jpg

Pre-order 'Chinese Democracy' now and receive a limited Guns n' Roses 7" single exclusive to HMV.com 'Chinese Democracy' has finally arrived....

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/navigate.do?pPageID=3614

Board footer