You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Chinese Democracy official reviews thread

Olorin wrote:

OK, I had a go myself using google, probably shouldnt have bothered as it doesnt look good.

http://www.gunnersbrasil.com/images/sto … _epoca.jpg

Vintage magazine is to review Chinese Democracy.

Eleven years e. .. nothing!

A joke summarizes the expectation of more than a decade on the new album from Guns N 'Roses, CHINESE DEMOCRACY: "It's easier to get democracy to China that Chinese Democracy comes to stores." Unless a revolution to overthrow the communist Chinese book market, the album will arrive first, will be available from day 25.
But if Chinese Democracy was one of the most anticipated discs of the history of rock, after its launch will be one of its greatest disappointments.

Recalling: the last album of new compositions came out of Guns 1991. Were two at once, UYI I and II, both successes bang. The post of the world's biggest band inflated ego of the members of Guns and helped erase the group. The iconic guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan fought to resume the formula of garage rock and hard rock. They lost to the experimental and Axl left the band in 1994.
Alone, Axl gave voice to their ambitions and began recording the album in 1997. Appeared in the studio once a week, sometimes once a month. The engineers recorded sound until five versions of each song and sent to the mansion of Axl in Malibu. The answer took weeks. Hopeful for another crack sales, the record label Geffen sponsored the extravagances. In 11 years were five guitarists, six producers, 14 studios and U $ $ 13 million dredged by Axl. The mountain of money artistic birth to a mouse, Chinese Democracy suffers from megalomania and versatility of its creator. Attempts to sew heterogenic musical elements such as industrial rock, the electronic music, the pop, art-rock ... The result is a schizophrenic album. Sounds like the bare-metal of Limp Bizkit sung by Rihanna with a voice agudíssima - indeed, watch the volume, the screams of Axl reaching deafening levels.

Two honorable mentions: "This I Love," a ballad moved the piano, like the "November Rain" and the single "Sorry" - no, not an apology to fans.
Undeniable that the expectation on human-created for more than a decade of waiting would be difficult to be satisfied. Axl would be charged even if a distribution to the public Sgt. Pepper's or Pet Sounds, the revolutionary albums of Beatles and Beach Boys.
But that is no excuse to create a disc to the brink inaudible.

Review done by Rodrigo T. Season of the magazine.

Thank you to Thierry Heger for notifying us of the review and pass the page of the magazine for transcribed, because this review is not on the Internet

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Veja Magazine (or Revised Magazine, unsure of translation)

Original page:

http://veja.abril.com.br/191108/p_132.shtml

Translated page:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u … l=pt&tl=en

In the mid-90s, when Guns N 'Roses is desmilingüiu, the singer Axl Rose inherited the group's name and the aura of being largely responsible for its resounding success, translated into sales of 90 million discs. From there onwards, he nourished the fans with the promise that their next job would be history. It is fourteen years, and now the wait is over. Chinese Democracy, the new disc of Guns N 'Roses, hit the shops on the 25th. "Have you ever imagined someone saying to Michelangelo running with the Sistine Chapel? No hurries a work of art," said businessman Andy Gould to justify the delay (from now, one of the most stupid sentences in the history of rock). The verdict? Chinese Democracy, in fact, ensures a place in history for Axl Rose - but only as a megalomaniac who has spent 15 million dollars, a record, a disc bad, very bad. It would be better to have maintained silence and mystery.

There are a handful of bad stories about Axl Rose, now with 46 years. In the early days of Guns N 'Roses, he knocked out a bottle of wine with a neighbor who dared complain of loud sound. Later he was accused of hitting  fans, girlfriends and rape. One of his songs, One in a Million, boiling prejudice against blacks, immigrants and homosexuals. Axl once said that in childhood he suffered sexual abuse by the father and stepfather. Would hence their anger barely contained, the abuse of drink and drugs and his misanthropy, which led to the desire to isolate itself. Since 1996, when his mother died of cancer, he is rarely seen outside his mansion in Malibu, California. If you are going to do something to release the new album, nobody knows.

In its golden age phase, the Guns N 'Roses guitarist Slash was co-author of hits such as Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O' Mine, the bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum. Axl fought with everyone, and showed them the red card. Then began the saga to find substitutes. Every new player that was on was subjected to a "psychological test" administered by the guru of the singer. It is suggested that one of the musicians of Chinese Democracy is the guitarist Buckethead, who climbs on stage with a bucket of the network of fast-food Kentucky Fried Chicken shot in the head and a mask of Jason, the manic film of the series Friday 13. In all, five producers gave up working on the disc after being subjected to methods of recording Axl insane. As an example, he spent 300 000 dollars to adjust the sound of a single instrument - the bass drum in the battery.

In Chinese Democracy, the hard rock of Guns N 'Roses original bowed rise to a mixture of heavy rock and electronic music. Tracks like Catcher N 'the Rye, a ballad, maybe even touch the radios, but they will be forgotten in much less that fourteen years. Axl says the new album is the first of a trilogy. The rely on their speed, the other two discs may be the soundtrack of the next ice age.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

I wish the people who are upset at Classic Rock and the BBC reviews could read this.

Now thats bad review. Very very bad.

Sky Dog wrote:

One thing I will say that disappoints me about the reviews is that it seems that no one has caught on to how overtly fragile Axl is and how overtly open his lyrics are about his broken relationships. He veers from cocksure, to doubting, to lonely, to utterly broken hearted and vulnerable. He did this before but not on this level. Now, that is probably due to not having Izzy as a partner to offset Axl's way of writing. There is nothing loose and fanciful on this record.

As a comparison, Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks is known as the number one heartbreak, lovesick album  over the last 30 years. This sounds crazy, but Axl's album is very very similar in it's overall theme. Actually, I am suprised that someone like David Fricke from Rolling Stone did not pick up on it. Whatever...I am rambling.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I agree madagas, I have said to my friends that Chinese Democracy is the most depressing record I will own.

Maybe it's because these reviewers just don't know the history of Axl? I would think Fricke would have, but even then.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Those reviews suck. They never break down the album, they just talk about Axl being crazy, and the album's not good, blah blah blah, name-drop a track, and then that's the interview.

Those are bad interviews for the sake of bad interviews. Just to trash the man.

If you don't like the album, break it down what's wrong with it. No, you just get "it's not the old GN'R"...

You're right - it's better.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

id rather say "different"
thats just me

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
madagas wrote:

One thing I will say that disappoints me about the reviews is that it seems that no one has caught on to how overtly fragile Axl is and how overtly open his lyrics are about his broken relationships.

Aye.

That's probably one reason (among many) as to why it has taken so long. Ax just has a huge emotional investment towards the lyrics (and also, the music), and if I were him, I'd definitely like my say to come out as loud and clear as possible.

Lyrically, the album's essentially a story of a man in anguish, and I sure can appreciate the fact that it hasn't been too easy for him to go in there and find means to express such powerful emotions.

Sky Dog wrote:
misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I'm telling you, if this album was released in 2002 the way it was in the demo's it would have been hailed big time. The worst thing that happened was that it went from a single album with a lot of left overs and ideas, to a trilogy, then to four albums. I think things got spread out thin. Too much thinking went into other albums (like saving The General for the last album) than focusing on 'THE' album. Also, something happened with the band in 05-06 when Axl started partying again. I don't know what, but that's when Merck was talking about renting studios and Axl not being able to work because he couldn't find his "muse." Maybe he lost confidence in the music and started adding shit to it.

The sad thing about CD is that great songs are layered with needless effects, guitars, multi vocals... Basically its been produced to death. I can't really argue with a lot of negative reviews mainly because the songs were better before.

It's a strange day, man. Real strange. Mostly because I'm still pumped for future releases. smile

Board footer