You are not logged in. Please register or login.

the_real_jessica
 Rep: 22 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

Isn't it just that axl has now what he never had ?

A life ?

Maybe he is bitter about the past, but to say he hasn't moved on is unfair, it's just that we don't know much about him.

The other have pursued their careers, yes.

But was singing all that axl wanted to do ?

He mentionned " survival" years back, maybe it is " life" now ?

He said all he wanted was a family, in a way, with betty and the kids, he got himself one.

Maybe he re- evaluated what was important for him and doesn't do things fast musically because his life became his number one priority ?

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

^Well then he should tell us that! That's a valid excuse. But he insists on blaming BH, blaming the old band, blaming the media, blaming the fans and blaming the record execs for the lack of an album.

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:

I honestly don't believe anything the members say regarding the breakup of the band. Axl says the rest of the guys didn't like his musical direction. Axl said he wanted to make a more appetite like record, Slash said he wanted to but Axl wanted a different direction. Then theres Slash getting pissed about his guitar recordings on 'Sympathy for the Devil' and Axl hiring at firing people at personal will. Axl getting pissed because Slash released the material he had turned down a few months before.

I think theres no real answer as to whos fault it was. Just a long series of misunderstandings. If Slash and Axl could just talk and put that stuff behind them, then they'd be ok.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

You're right fault is the wrong word.    One thing cannot be disputed is the evolution of GNR with the UYI's as I posted before, that entire tour was unbelievably successful and maybe Axl wanting change even moreso going forward with GNR after TSI was obviously just too much for Slash, Duff and Matt.

Axl didn't even know what he wanted to do. He wanted to do a Pearl Jam-type album, then an all acoustic album, then a piano album, then a NIN album. He didn't have his aim, just wanted to control everything. Even Zakk Wylde said that whaever was trendy back then, Axl wanted to do that. BTW the 'wanting to change' attitude caused him to fire Gilby without the others agreeing and take in his childhood friend, who hadn't played on stage before. A bedroom guitarist in GN'R...right roll

Mikkamakka wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

You're right fault is the wrong word.    One thing cannot be disputed is the evolution of GNR with the UYI's as I posted before, that entire tour was unbelievably successful and maybe Axl wanting change even moreso going forward with GNR after TSI was obviously just too much for Slash, Duff and Matt.

Axl didn't even know what he wanted to do. He wanted to do a Pearl Jam-type album, then an all acoustic album, then a piano album, then a NIN album. He didn't have his aim, just wanted to control everything. Even Zakk Wylde said that whaever was trendy back then, Axl wanted to do that. BTW the 'wanting to change' attitude caused him to fire Gilby without the others agreeing and take in his childhood friend, who hadn't played on stage before. A bedroom guitarist in GN'R...right roll

Ok slash..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

JB, you gotta admit Axl was really wishy washy at the time. Several sources back up what Wylde has claimed. Axl was turning into a band wagon jumper, we just didn't get to see/hear any of it because it was never released. Hell, even Izzy said years ago that when he was approached after the Gilby departure that Axl was obsessed with doing a grunge record. Slash has mentioned this as well.

Its pretty obvious he didn't get a clear vision of a musical direction until the 1999-01 time frame.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

JB, you gotta admit Axl was really wishy washy at the time. Several sources back up what Wylde has claimed. Axl was turning into a band wagon jumper, we just didn't get to see/hear any of it because it was never released. Hell, even Izzy said years ago that when he was approached after the Gilby departure that Axl was obsessed with doing a grunge record. Slash has mentioned this as well.

Its pretty obvious he didn't get a clear vision of a musical direction until the 1999-01 time frame.

The way I see it gn'r was always Axls lifeline. And by that I mean in psychological terms. It was his way of battling insecurity issues by showing that his band was always innovative, didn't become repetitive like ac/dc or crue. You know, his extension of being special. Which is probably also the reason he became so possessive about, and still is. It was more than just a band and a paycheck to him.

So yeah, he probably did look at bands like Jam and Nirvana because they were doing fresh things at the time. That doesn't mean he was gonna make a Jam or Nirvana record. Obviously going by the new songs Axl has never limited himself to imitate any particular style. There is always something of everything.

It's not far fetched to think that some of the other members may have perceived that as him wanting to copy someone or whatever.

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Hell, even Izzy said years ago that when he was approached after the Gilby departure that Axl was obsessed with doing a grunge record.

"It's Five O'Clock Somewhere" is the closest thing to a grunge record that any member of that band past or present has ever done...

If Axl did, I doubt he would have had to say much much to either Duff or Slash.

As for the trends, according to Lars Ulrich Axl wanted to do a NIN style kinda thing before anyone else had even heard of them. He brought them on tour, they got booed of stage, yet he didn't change is mind.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Cant blame Slash on contracts. That dog wont hunt. The GNR contract was restructured in the post Slash era. I am vague on details, but maybe Madagas, sic(if you're lurking jump in here), or russ can go into more detail.

As far as I know, the original GNR recording agreement with Geffen has been remodeled several times during the years. I think Alan Niven, the original manager, negotiated an extension to the deal in the UYI-era (enabling it to cover subsequent albums). Then, in late '92, Axl, Slash and Duff re-defined it, so that the three of them would be considered responsible for the GNR business entity, and Axl would be entitled for the b(r)and name if he'd leave the three-way business partnership. There have reportedly been later revisions, although the latest one we know of dates at 05/01/98, when Slash and Duff were alleviated from the recording expenses and all other responsibilites concerning Chinese Democracy. At this point, they were acquitted of any financial responsibility relating to their time in the GNR musical partnership.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Slash probably misses Axl's wild talent but not the garbage that came with it..

I don't blame him for being really pissed about Axl not going on stage. That must be agonizing when you love the experience so much and you can see the fans waiting, primed, begging for you to get out there and blow them away.

Very few artists understood Axl's reasoning for abondoning his job as front man when he was needed so badly so many times. For most artists playing live is the pinnacle of the experience. I've been there on a tiny scale and a good gig is an out-of-body experience it rocks so hard.

All the former members were pissed with Axl for this and I'd say that kind of emotional brinkmanship could cause more booze and alcohol problems for the others as they tried to steady their frayed nerves.

When you're 23 years old and have 100 people depending on you for their paycheck and millions of people around the world paying big money to see you play and your singer cannot be trusted to show up no matter what logic is tried on him... that must be a pressure NONE of us can imagine.. What would you do to calm yourself when you can have ANYTHING you want to ease the nerves...drink anyone? joint? line of junk?

Board footer